U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 01:04 AM

1 posts, read 361 times

Advertisements

I am 30 years old, have been self employed since I was about 19 years old. I was working in the online advertising field. I did do a lot of programming and server management in my work.

I have college diploma for computer programming and I am 4 courses away from getting my CIS degree which I quit when I was about 22 years old.

I'm really sick of being self employed. How hard would it be to find a IT job if I finish my CIS degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 07:53 AM

28,537 posts, read 62,253,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjesse091 View Post
How hard would it be for me to find a job as IT or a Software Developer?
Hard? That's about smarts and sweat... and specific competencies.
How LONG it will take is the Q to look at.

Quote:
I am 30 years old...
I am 4 courses away from getting my CIS degree...
Will that school (or any other) allow you to take those last 4 courses and get the degree?
I suspect that getting hired will require at least being able to say you are enrolled...
(assuming you have enough IT skills to be useful to them now)

Old 01-17-2019, 09:00 AM

3,380 posts, read 6,603,991 times
Lot of variables and unknowns. But typically that degree you are seeking will greatly increase your odds, and it will have staying power so it will still look like an accomplishment 15 years from now. This is true even for a commuter school if it is a school that has a decent academic reputation.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:20 AM

7 posts, read 3,454 times
It's state university. Yes they do allow me to take the last 4 courses. I talked to them.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:49 AM

28,537 posts, read 62,253,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post
It's state university. Yes they do allow me to take the last 4 courses. I talked to them.
Then enroll for the current spring term and you could be done by June.
Even if you take evening classes you should be done before the end of summer.

Next up is making the LIST of which companies nearby are likeliest prospects (who do you know there)?
Call. Write. Take your contacts out for lunch. Get on the payroll.
A year from now? Everything will look differently.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:24 PM

17,319 posts, read 10,231,722 times
Too old but doesn't hurt to try.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:44 PM

7 posts, read 3,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Too old but doesn't hurt to try.
well trying does hurt actually, cause it takes money and time.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:56 AM

4,353 posts, read 7,999,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjesse091 View Post
I am 30 years old, have been self employed since I was about 19 years old. I was working in the online advertising field. I did do a lot of programming and server management in my work.

I have college diploma for computer programming and I am 4 courses away from getting my CIS degree which I quit when I was about 22 years old.

I'm really sick of being self employed. How hard would it be to find a IT job if I finish my CIS degree?
Finding a job is easy.... applying and getting it is another story.

First - what are you looking to do? For the most part, your CIS degree may be helpful in the long run. I'm not sure how much "advantage" it would provide for you in the short run. I'd think your experience would be the bigger leverage.

This of course, will depend on the makeup of your skillset. How easily can you transfer your skills to what an organization may need? And if you have 10 years of experience, what level of position are you looking for? When you say self employed, does that mean you had your own company (thus, you may understand strategic planning, leadership, staffing, budgeting, contracts, etc.)? Or were you a 1099 that went from contract to contract (skillset is focused on specific IT disciplines). All of these are potential factors (and there are others) that will impact your ability to land a FTE position.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:24 PM

2,465 posts, read 701,111 times
Depends on what IT role.

Developer: If you have an awesome presence on github with a portfolio that kicks butt, MAYBE you stand a chance of getting a job without experience.

Non-developer: There are no IT jobs that require no experience. So congrats on the degree you'll get after 4 classes, but it won't help one iota.

Does your school offer an internship class? Take it. And hope you get a full time job with the company you're interning with, because if you don't, your one internship won't qualify for an entry level job.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:15 PM

17,319 posts, read 10,231,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post
well trying does hurt actually, cause it takes money and time.
Sending out resumes and e-mails and applying online costs nothing, other than perhaps the monthly internet bill you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or