U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 12:29 PM

602 posts, read 453,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcass View Post
I'm in the process of reworking and rewriting my resume for jobs that I'll be applying for in Colorado. Because I don't live there, but plan to move there, is it necessary to state this on my resume?
As been said, its already a given with an out of state address on the resume. What you should consider is stating that you can do an in-person interview in x days and could start x days after accepting an offer in order to quell any fear of delays waiting for the new guy to start. I've been saying I can start in 1 week. That hasn't worked for me though

I have software development skills and its been hard to get a job from CA state and in NV. The only calls I had were when I lied about where I was. People want to hire locals because of the social aspect and there are many weaklings that can't accept culture from another area. Few outside CA likes Californians. But once you get in the given state you'll find many people actually came from CA.

The exceptions to this rule are large corporations, at least in software. They hire from all over the world, literally. They will pay for everything to get you interviewed and moved. Places like that are very diverse and it is accepted/normal to be around someone that is very, very different from you. That is a very special thing.

While living in WA state I applied at Qualcomm in Boulder, CO and they hired me over the phone. After re-locating there, the job turned out to be a bait-and-switch. I quit after 3 days.

If you can swing it, move there first if your heart is set on it. CO has some ****ty winter weather so unless you are used that can be hard to adjust to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 03:10 PM

79 posts, read 47,863 times
Default Seems so hard to get a job out of state

I've done it before in the past.

In the last 3-4 years it seems SO HARD or they want to offer very low money. I had one guy tell me "You're from X where they pay very well but here we have a cheaper cost of living so you will have to work for (peanuts)."

Then the guy never called me for a scheduled phone interview!

So yeah, these out of state interviews can be rough. They seem to give the HR people something to do apart from invent tests to figure out why to keep the job open forever.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:05 AM

1,550 posts, read 401,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Candidates that are out of state are invisible to many employers.

"They'll ask us for moving expense reimbursement" they'll think and automatically not read the cover letter or resume.
That's a false assumption. Maybe the OP has a spouse that got a job there and has already started on it, so relocation assistance isn't even an issue. Or the OP has inherited their grand mother's home and is in the process of moving there anyway. Amazing how many people shoot themselves in the foot before they even get started on a journey. What's the worst that is going to happen, they will e-mail you a reject message, so what. Unless the job is bagging groceries, they don't care if you are local or not. They will figure it out by your location you aren't there now.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:05 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,929,817 times
Definitely include in your cover letter, which is what I did. State that you are willing to relocate on your own dollar.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:52 PM

28,496 posts, read 62,152,821 times
Quote:
Because I don't live there, but plan to move there, is it necessary to state this on my resume?
If you're truly qualified enough to be hired for those jobs BEFORE actually living in these new locations
(and dam-ned few are) ... then sure, you go right ahead and apply..

The other 99%? They need to pick a town, move there, get whatever job they can to get by on for a while...
and THEN apply and have their quals considered by the preferred employer.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:46 AM

1,550 posts, read 401,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Definitely include in your cover letter, which is what I did. State that you are willing to relocate on your own dollar.
Don't do that. There is no reason to give that up, because if they were planning to offer relocation if requested, you just left money on the table.

The details of how you move there aren't important to an employer. They only care about your qualifications unless we are talking about moving to an area which is very different than where you are now. For example, if you have been living in a very rural area in the Midwest and the job is in Midtown New York City, they might feel you don't know what it is like to work there and the costs. In those situations, the job posting would actually say something like, "Local candidates only".

Old 02-17-2019, 02:07 PM

5,684 posts, read 5,933,771 times
Quote:
I'm in the process of reworking and rewriting my resume for jobs that I'll be applying for in Colorado. Because I don't live there, but plan to move there, is it necessary to state this on my resume?
I just did this. I did not indicate on my cover letter that I was relocating. They will know based on your resume. Some will like it and some will not. Be prepared to interview at your own expense. Thankfully, most of the interviews were by phone.

I moved without a job. Out of 77, I got one. It was grueling and stressful. I got a lot of support on CD. You've come to the right place.

Good luck!

Old 02-17-2019, 04:17 PM

2,865 posts, read 1,257,703 times
It is definitely possible to find a job in a different state; I did it 3 years ago to move to my current location.

I mentioned it in the cover letter and on applications where I couldn't submit a cover letter, I put a blurb on the top of the resume mentioning that I was seeking to move to Erie, PA.

It took longer than it probably would have for an in-state job search but it was worth it.

Some employers will pay partial/full relo costs while others won't so a good idea is to put aside a relo fund while you look just in case your new Colorado job doesn't pay relo costs. Even if they do pay there is always some expense involved in a move whether you are a DIY mover or go pro.

We did DIY and it cost us $1200 between hotels, gas, the moving truck/trailer rental, food, etc.

Good luck with your job search and hope you find something soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or