U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 06:40 PM

2,820 posts, read 4,926,959 times

Advertisements

I have been with my current company for 13years. I was in my last role within the company for approx. 5years. Every year that I was in that role, I exceeded expectations within in the role, until year 5. I don't know if it was me or my manager, but things went sour. I no longer could do my job effectively and efficiently according to my manager. It was never done correctly and all that I did, I could not please my manager anymore. The environment became toxic, stressful, and I just didn't enjoy the role anymore. I decided to post for another role. Thankfully I was able to secure another role very similar. I was so glad to leave my previous role as it had gotten so toxic and stressful. I've been in the role 3months now. When I took the role, I received a small bump in pay. My only thing with this role, is that I find myself a little bored as the responsibilities that I had in my previous role kept me busy. I welcome the "laxness" in the role as the previous role that last year gave me no work/home life balance anymore. Ive decided to give the role a year so that I can regroup. Thoughts on my current situation???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 07:40 PM

3,954 posts, read 1,106,630 times
You sound a little conflicted. You like your new role, but it's too lax and you're bored. Bosses tend to like staff that are looking for more to do. Are you comfortable talking to a supervisor about your internal conflict? Another thing is to give yourself a break. Enjoy the time you have with your family. Do you get regular performance evaluations. If you do, that's a great time to discuss your role and talk about what you would like to do. If you don't have evaluations, ask for one. Do the best job you can and relax into it. It sounds like you are in a good situation now. Hope I helped a little bit.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:28 PM

Thank you for your input!

Old 01-28-2019, 06:16 AM

28,484 posts, read 62,084,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I was so glad to leave my previous role as it had gotten so toxic and stressful.
I've been in the new role 3months now. When I took the role, I received a small bump in pay.

My only thing with this role, is that I find myself a little bored as the responsibilities that I had
in my previous role kept me busy. I welcome the "laxness" in the role...
Thoughts on my current situation???
Sounds like you came out of it all pretty well.

One suggestion is to start keeping a "one of these days" file. When a problem or improvement idea
comes to you write it up, compile the research, as though you had been assigned the responsibility to sort
out the issue and devise some resolution to it. Don't hide it. Do the work right there at your desk.

At some point in the future, after you have a few things in the file, make a point of doing this
work or reviewing the file when/where your boss can see it. And so forth. Good luck.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:29 AM

12,159 posts, read 10,333,551 times
Ride the gravy train as long as you can.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:33 PM

2,387 posts, read 683,329 times
You done good.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:09 PM

Thanks to all the posters for weighing in.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:37 PM

1,541 posts, read 399,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I have been with my current company for 13years. I was in my last role within the company for approx. 5years. Every year that I was in that role, I exceeded expectations within in the role, until year 5. I don't know if it was me or my manager, but things went sour. I no longer could do my job effectively and efficiently according to my manager. It was never done correctly and all that I did, I could not please my manager anymore. The environment became toxic, stressful, and I just didn't enjoy the role anymore. I decided to post for another role. Thankfully I was able to secure another role very similar. I was so glad to leave my previous role as it had gotten so toxic and stressful. I've been in the role 3months now. When I took the role, I received a small bump in pay. My only thing with this role, is that I find myself a little bored as the responsibilities that I had in my previous role kept me busy. I welcome the "laxness" in the role as the previous role that last year gave me no work/home life balance anymore. Ive decided to give the role a year so that I can regroup. Thoughts on my current situation???
Bored? That's easy to solve. Look around your organization and see where you can make improvements. Or be the backup by cross-training with someone else if their role is very different from yours. This also increases your value to them.

By the way, good job in being able to get out of the previous bad situation.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:51 PM

5,684 posts, read 5,928,269 times
Congrats and be thankful for the breathing room. They eased me in and now I am getting accounts left and right. Enjoy.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:50 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,463,311 times
You might be accustomed to a toxic environment. A less stressful job may seem odd at first. I would give it a few more months, so that you can adjust to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or