U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 01:22 PM

1,733 posts, read 3,846,195 times

Advertisements

I had to take several months off to care for a sick relative. I did work two part time jobs during that time but I couldn't commit to a full time job.

Has anyone create a resume with being a Caregiver on it and how should it be worded? Has anyone been interviewed who was a Caretaker and were you offered a job?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 01:30 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 9 days ago)

9,507 posts, read 3,649,616 times
Although being a caregiver is absolutely harder than any job or career I've ever done in my entire life, the sad fact is that many employers look down on this, especially in the business world. It might work on a resume for a job in healthcare, though. It depends on what field of work you are going in to? You might consider only putting down one of your part time jobs on the resume and there's no need to put down that they were part time, unless the interviewer asks about it. That way, there is no gap on your resume.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:23 PM

7,114 posts, read 2,921,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
I had to take several months off to care for a sick relative. I did work two part time jobs during that time but I couldn't commit to a full time job.

Has anyone create a resume with being a Caregiver on it and how should it be worded? Has anyone been interviewed who was a Caretaker and were you offered a job?

Thank you.
If caregiving isn't related to your profession, you don't possess formal caregiving education/training, and you were not employed to provide it, it probably won't change anyone's impression of your abilities. If you are looking for a way to explain the gap in employment a better option is to say something non-specific like "attending to family business". Everyone has family that needs attention at some point.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:08 AM

1,580 posts, read 824,872 times
In my experience, Parnassia is correct. It did nothing for me in terms of putting it on my resume. I made it as professional as possible, listing all I had done (coordinating appointments, acting as insurance liason, providing ADL care, etc.). You can try it, but in my case, it did not help to get me interviews. I eventually removed it and addressed the employment gap during the interview process.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:08 AM

79 posts, read 47,863 times
I'm from the school where you don't lie on your resume. It was something you did and you should be proud of yourself for taking care of someone compassionately.

So don't hide. You can say in the interview that's what you were doing. If they have an issue with it not "being a real job" or professional well, do you want to work for them?

People put volunteer on their resumes. Is that any different?

Old 01-30-2019, 12:55 PM

7,114 posts, read 2,921,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSkysGuy View Post
I'm from the school where you don't lie on your resume. It was something you did and you should be proud of yourself for taking care of someone compassionately.

So don't hide. You can say in the interview that's what you were doing. If they have an issue with it not "being a real job" or professional well, do you want to work for them?

No one is suggesting lying. What was suggested is explaining that span of time and effort in a different way. A resume just isn't the place to describe aspects of your personal/family life. It has nothing to do with being "worthy" or proud at all. It has to do with being pertinent.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:09 AM

285 posts, read 761,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Although being a caregiver is absolutely harder than any job or career I've ever done in my entire life, the sad fact is that many employers look down on this, especially in the business world. It might work on a resume for a job in healthcare, though. It depends on what field of work you are going in to? You might consider only putting down one of your part time jobs on the resume and there's no need to put down that they were part time, unless the interviewer asks about it. That way, there is no gap on your resume.
This idea makes perfect sense and checks all the boxes. You close your employment gap and keep your family business to yourself.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
No one is suggesting lying. What was suggested is explaining that span of time and effort in a different way. A resume just isn't the place to describe aspects of your personal/family life. It has nothing to do with being "worthy" or proud at all. It has to do with being pertinent.
I agree with this, too.

People only scan your resume quickly before deciding whether to contact you for an interview. There's not a lot of time or space to mention irrelevant details. The OP did work two part-time jobs so that's not a lie. You're free to use only relevant experience on your resume because that's what recruiters and hiring managers care about.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSkysGuy View Post

No one is suggesting hiding or lying. Curating your experience and education is expected and welcome nowadays. It's the extraneous, irrelevant details that make you look unprofessional and waste hiring managers' time and get you disqualified. You have a matter of seconds to impress someone who's reviewing your resume. Including information that is not relevant is a nuisance to the person who has possibly 200+ resumes to review for each position they need to fill.

Yes, you can explain a lot in an interview, you have to first get an interview.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:46 AM

1,733 posts, read 3,846,195 times
Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I won't use the term "Caregiver" on the resume. I may use "Took care of Family Business" or something along that line.

Any other suggestions would be very appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or