Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 08:57 AM

162 posts, read 247,715 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am in a dilemma that I have never been in before. I am at employed full-time at my current position. I hate the position I was put in, but there is nothing the boss will do to help me. I have been here for 4 years, and it’s timetime to move on.

As a result, I have been applying for other positions like crazy. I have asked in the applications if they could please contact me via email if interested vs phone because I work at a place where I always have co-workers around me, and I don’t want them to hear my conversation. Is this acceptable?

Also, since I have been there for a few years, do I just take a sick day If offered an interview? I work normal business hours far away, and don’t have a chance to go during lunch, or after work unless they’re willing to stay. How do I handle this with my current job? I have a lot of sick days, but I can only use so many before it’s obvious.

The current field I am in may require immediate start. If so, is it ok to resign without a 2 week notice? How would you all handle that?

I really could use some advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 09:43 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman136 View Post
Hello!

I am in a dilemma that I have never been in before. I am at employed full-time at my current position. I hate the position I was put in, but there is nothing the boss will do to help me. I have been here for 4 years, and it’s timetime to move on.

As a result, I have been applying for other positions like crazy. I have asked in the applications if they could please contact me via email if interested vs phone because I work at a place where I always have co-workers around me, and I don’t want them to hear my conversation. Is this acceptable?
Maybe. It really depends on the HR or HM at the company you are applying for. Some will want to talk to you in order to ask a few questions and not view email as an acceptable alternative. You may lose out to othe4 applicants who are available by phone. Other places may be fine with it. All things considered, it is better to be available by phone than to be unavailable.

Can you let it go to voicemail and call back shortly after receiving a message? Make sure your voicemail is set up.

Quote:
Also, since I have been there for a few years, do I just take a sick day If offered an interview? I work normal business hours far away, and don’t have a chance to go during lunch, or after work unless they’re willing to stay. How do I handle this with my current job? I have a lot of sick days, but I can only use so many before it’s obvious.
That is what most people do. Hopefully you won’t have to go on so many interviews that it becomes a problem.

Quote:
The current field I am in may require immediate start. If so, is it ok to resign without a 2 week notice? How would you all handle that?
It’s not ideal, particularly if you want to maintain good relations with your current employer and use them as a reference in the future. The higher you rise on the corporate ladder, the higher the expectation you will give appropriate notice. This varies by industry though.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:47 AM

Do employers even care if you’re a good employee and quit?

Old 09-03-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Do employers even care if you’re a good employee and quit?
Again, depends on the level of the job and type of industry.

If you are a school teacher who bails in the middle of the academic year, you will probably never get another job as a teacher. When references are checked and your previous employer says you left in November, no principal will hire you.

One of my previous jobs required 4 weeks of notice. With less they would not pay out accrued vacation, and I would be noted as “not eligible for rehire”. I gave appropriate notice and used my previous boss as a reference for a couple of jobs.

If you are cashier, nobody will care much.

There are a 1000 other variations, and the only truthful answer is maybe.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:34 AM

What about a teacher paraprofessional? Not a contract full-blown teacher? I would be leaving to go to a closer school.

Again, I have no contract - 10 month employee.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:40 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Reasons Not to Give Two Weeks Notice

The right—and wrong—ways to sneak out for a job interview

Old 09-03-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
What about a teacher paraprofessional? Not a contract full-blown teacher? I would be leaving to go to a closer school.

Again, I have no contract - 10 month employee.
I didn’t realize I was hitting close to home on this one.

I don’t know enough about that field to give you a definitive answer. If the place you are applying to hires you, the reference won’t matter, at least for now. In the future when you want to change, it will be a negative.

I work in higher ed, and my ex-wife was a teacher. In higher ed we expect academic and senior management systems to change over only between semesters. In K12, there are very few teacher positions advertised through the year. Paras may be different enough to be viewed as relatively interchangeable support staff rather than as key personnel.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I didn’t realize I was hitting close to home on this one.

I don’t know enough about that field to give you a definitive answer. If the place you are applying to hires you, the reference won’t matter, at least for now. In the future when you want to change, it will be a negative.

I work in higher ed, and my ex-wife was a teacher. In higher ed we expect academic and senior management systems to change over only between semesters. In K12, there are very few teacher positions advertised through the year. Paras may be different enough to be viewed as relatively interchangeable support staff rather than as key personnel.
Well, I figure if I get hired, then it will be ok

Like you all said, I guess it depends upon what they’re looking for.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:49 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Be selective in where you send resumes in order to cut down on the sick days that you take.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Be selective in where you send resumes in order to cut down on the sick days that you take.
For sure! I am only putting apps in where I would for sure want to work at.

The problem is that my work hours conflict with another job I’m that field. I’ll take a sick day if need be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search