Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 08:20 PM

22 posts, read 16,569 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I applied to a position about a month ago and interview went well and was told I'd hear back soon. I ended up not hearing back soon after the interview and I even received that automated rejection email "Sorry but we will keep your resume on file...etc".

Fast forward a month later I all of a sudden hear back from the hiring manager and she asks if I am still interested in the position and to talk at a certain time even though I got that automated rejection email.

I'm not sure how to approach this, it's been over a month and I feel as though I am not interested anymore due to the way things were handled and I don't feel comfortable if I were to come on board.

Do I accept the phone call to discuss and if so how do I approach it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 09:10 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,228,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncetime View Post
Hello,

I applied to a position about a month ago and interview went well and was told I'd hear back soon. I ended up not hearing back soon after the interview and I even received that automated rejection email "Sorry but we will keep your resume on file...etc".

Fast forward a month later I all of a sudden hear back from the hiring manager and she asks if I am still interested in the position and to talk at a certain time even though I got that automated rejection email.

I'm not sure how to approach this, it's been over a month and I feel as though I am not interested anymore due to the way things were handled and I don't feel comfortable if I were to come on board.

What could possibly be wrong with talking with her? You’ve got your undies in a wad and your feelings hurt, so you feel like they aren’t worthy of a few minutes of your time? How do you know she hasn’t been incredibly busy, or that situations there have changed regarding the position? Fact is you don’t know and won’t know unless you talk with her. Approach the conversation professionally and with integrity, not fore gone conclusions.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:16 PM

5,885 posts, read 3,867,033 times
Quote:
Hello,

If you're not interested then let her know. I'd take the phone call and let her know either way. If you reconsider, then ask the reason for the sudden opening. Could be a number of things going on. Maybe the person they hired just walked out.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:20 PM

22 posts, read 16,569 times
Yes I should take the call, I just felt a bit uneasy because I got the rejection email and am now hearing back all of a sudden.

Last edited by bouncetime; 02-04-2019 at 09:33 PM..

Old 02-05-2019, 12:00 AM

13,085 posts, read 20,774,581 times
But the email said they will keep your resume on file, now you're all upset because they went back to their files?

Old 02-05-2019, 01:36 AM

22,975 posts, read 18,280,015 times
Quote:
Yes I should take the call, I just felt a bit uneasy because I got the rejection email and am now hearing back all of a sudden.
You don't know what's happened since they sent the rejection. The person they originally chose may have changed their mind, they couldn't negotiate terms, or something turned up on a background check that eliminated the selectee. Filling the vacancy may have been put on the back burner by something else.

What's it going to hurt to just talk with them? You'll be no worse off than you are now. How you handle a hiccup like this may tell them a lot about how you will handle others.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:26 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,428,318 times
The first person didn't work out for whatever reason or there is another opening. Maybe they couldn't come to terms on salary or something? Now they are reaching out to you as the runner up, or maybe they have another position available that you'd be a good fit for? There's absolutely nothing weird about this.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:54 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,344,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
What could possibly be wrong with talking with her? You’ve got your undies in a wad and your feelings hurt, so you feel like they aren’t worthy of a few minutes of your time? How do you know she hasn’t been incredibly busy, or that situations there have changed regarding the position? Fact is you don’t know and won’t know unless you talk with her. Approach the conversation professionally and with integrity, not fore gone conclusions.
Because no one is that busy. It means that the OP and the job weren't a high-priority. Amazing the excuses people on C-D come up with for an employer's thoughtless behavior. What actually happened is they made an offer to someone else who strung them along and took another job, and the OP is likely a 2nd choice.

If the OP feels this is a sign of bad management to not be able to recognize talent when it was first presented to them, then the OP has a legit concern not to pursue the position. "incredibly busy..." yeah, right.

None of us were there with the OP, so if the OP has a bad vibe about the place from the entire experience, than the OP shouldn't pursue it. Otherwise the OP will return to complain about taking this new job, which of course, people on C-D will criticize for leaving their previous job.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
But the email said they will keep your resume on file, now you're all upset because they went back to their files?
That's a boiler-plate e-mail that HR sends out. It comes directly from their HR software system. It doesn't mean anything.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You don't know what's happened since they sent the rejection. The person they originally chose may have changed their mind, they couldn't negotiate terms, or something turned up on a background check that eliminated the selectee. Filling the vacancy may have been put on the back burner by something else.

What's it going to hurt to just talk with them? You'll be no worse off than you are now. How you handle a hiccup like this may tell them a lot about how you will handle others.
The ship has sailed for the OP to prove themselves worthy to this employer. Just because someone calls you, it doesn't mean you have to take the call. The OP is rightfully afraid this hiring manager will find some way to be convincing to come in and waste more time, and take a job which the OP has an uncomfortable vibe about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search