U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 03:42 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,553,057 times

Advertisements

I signed up for help from vocational rehabilitation months ago, but I still haven't gotten a good job. I'm getting close to not being able to pay my bills, and that's not great. I was told that the people working with me are pretty busy and aren't from the area, so it seems I'll have to wait longer than I was hoping. I don't want to upset them by complaining; I appreciate whatever they are able to do, but it's just really frustrating to go so long without an real job.

I have a small freelance writing business that I guess is keeping me sane in the meantime, but it's in its infancy and not making me much money. My main client is a content mill, so, yeah I'm not making much money. I am getting plenty of practice writing, though.

I would like to know what to do. I've covered most of my bases, signed up for vocational rehab, signed up for employment services...I even tried to sign up for disability benefits. I was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder, and I guess that wouldn't be a big deal if I had the skills to take a job that fits my skill set, but I don't. My degree is in Education, and teaching requires a level of social aptitude and energy that I just don't have.

Sorry, I'm just stressed out. There are probably options I haven't considered. If you know about them, I'd like to hear them.

I have a terrible work history. Outside of teaching, none of my jobs have lasted more than a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 01:49 PM

602 posts, read 453,504 times
I'm a far cry from being a professional job hunter, but I like to help people and want to give some advice. I wouldn't count on (wait for) those people to help you find a job unless they are in your circle of friends.

I've been in the hunt too and what has helped me in the past for non-tech jobs was applying for the job and then following up periodically until I've explicitly been excluded from the running or the job was filled.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:03 PM

6,942 posts, read 3,066,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmb View Post
I signed up for help from vocational rehabilitation months ago, but I still haven't gotten a good job. I'm getting close to not being able to pay my bills, and that's not great. I was told that the people working with me are pretty busy and aren't from the area, so it seems I'll have to wait longer than I was hoping. I don't want to upset them by complaining; I appreciate whatever they are able to do, but it's just really frustrating to go so long without an real job.

I have a small freelance writing business that I guess is keeping me sane in the meantime, but it's in its infancy and not making me much money. My main client is a content mill, so, yeah I'm not making much money. I am getting plenty of practice writing, though.

I would like to know what to do. I've covered most of my bases, signed up for vocational rehab, signed up for employment services...I even tried to sign up for disability benefits. I was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder, and I guess that wouldn't be a big deal if I had the skills to take a job that fits my skill set, but I don't. My degree is in Education, and teaching requires a level of social aptitude and energy that I just don't have.

Sorry, I'm just stressed out. There are probably options I haven't considered. If you know about them, I'd like to hear them.

I have a terrible work history. Outside of teaching, none of my jobs have lasted more than a few months.
You may need to cut your bills down further. You may need to get a truck and camper or a van and just save your money for gas. The hardest part will be climate controlling your living space and you will need to locate to places seasonally with moderate temperatures for the time you will be there. Then just look for jobs in that area to buy basically just food and gas. I would minimize the hours you work at these jobs to just enough to subsidize some sort of online blogging or other remote work activity. Working a McJob more than 10-15 hours a week will suck the life out of you.

I would try to live with friends and family so you can save for said van or truck/camper as you dont want to go cheap if you are going to be moving to various parts of the country to chase the weather/seasons.

If I were in this sitaution (and I almost was/am) I would try to install solar panals and perhaps a mini wind mill you can set up when parked to run a peltier module, one side heats and one side cools depending on the direction of current flow. As long as you move along when temperatures start getting extreme you should be able to climate control with a few solar panels. If you stay somewhere its snowing or its 80 + degrees then your energy and insulation needs goes up exponentially.

Water is going to be another issue, you will need to find rivers and lakes and get line and pump so you can shower dishes and have bottled water to drink. You will need a propane powered water heater that the pump pumps through for hot shower water and you will have to shower in the open so finding a nice private spot daily will be important.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
You may need to cut your bills down further. You may need to get a truck and camper or a van and just save your money for gas. The hardest part will be climate controlling your living space and you will need to locate to places seasonally with moderate temperatures for the time you will be there. Then just look for jobs in that area to buy basically just food and gas. I would minimize the hours you work at these jobs to just enough to subsidize some sort of online blogging or other remote work activity. Working a McJob more than 10-15 hours a week will suck the life out of you.

I would try to live with friends and family so you can save for said van or truck/camper as you dont want to go cheap if you are going to be moving to various parts of the country to chase the weather/seasons.

If I were in this sitaution (and I almost was/am) I would try to install solar panals and perhaps a mini wind mill you can set up when parked to run a peltier module, one side heats and one side cools depending on the direction of current flow. As long as you move along when temperatures start getting extreme you should be able to climate control with a few solar panels. If you stay somewhere its snowing or its 80 + degrees then your energy and insulation needs goes up exponentially.

Water is going to be another issue, you will need to find rivers and lakes and get line and pump so you can shower dishes and have bottled water to drink. You will need a propane powered water heater that the pump pumps through for hot shower water and you will have to shower in the open so finding a nice private spot daily will be important.

Things may be improving. My dad lives with me and helps out with the bills (I'm not proud of that, but it is helping me while I get on my feet), and I've decided to try to sell my car. It looks like I may lose it, but maybe not. I found a few part-time online jobs that will hopefully keep me afloat while I'm waiting for my substitute teaching registration to finish, and I also have an online teaching interview coming up. With all of that, hopefully I'll be able to make enough money to survive and grow my freelancing business.

I also signed up to drive for Uber and Lyft, so maybe I won't lose the car. I hope not.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krmb View Post
Things may be improving. My dad lives with me and helps out with the bills (I'm not proud of that, but it is helping me while I get on my feet), and I've decided to try to sell my car. It looks like I may lose it, but maybe not. I found a few part-time online jobs that will hopefully keep me afloat while I'm waiting for my substitute teaching registration to finish, and I also have an online teaching interview coming up. With all of that, hopefully I'll be able to make enough money to survive and grow my freelancing business.

I also signed up to drive for Uber and Lyft, so maybe I won't lose the car. I hope not.
Having reliable transportation and access to information is of paramount importance. McDonald’s has free WiFi but you wil need a nice lap top and a easy way to get there.

I looked into it and lyft and uber our a lot of miles on your car for not much money, then you are looking at more mx expenses. You may be able to do a lyft if you happen to be going that way anyways and if that works out then you can eliminate the McJob.

But you will need skills to even begin job searching which takes time and money

Old 02-16-2019, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Having reliable transportation and access to information is of paramount importance. McDonald’s has free WiFi but you wil need a nice lap top and a easy way to get there.

I looked into it and lyft and uber our a lot of miles on your car for not much money, then you are looking at more mx expenses. You may be able to do a lyft if you happen to be going that way anyways and if that works out then you can eliminate the McJob.

But you will need skills to even begin job searching which takes time and money

I might have hit another snag anyway; there's something wrong with my car, and I don't know what it is.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:38 AM

I wonder if at a certain point people just decide they don’t want to survive anymore?

Not kill themselves but just go as long as they can homeless ...

Old 02-16-2019, 01:54 AM

Quote:
I wonder if at a certain point people just decide they don’t want to survive anymore?

Not kill themselves but just go as long as they can homeless ...
Not sure...homelessness isn't on my agenda, but I may lose my car. If I had to live homeless, it would only be temporary, until I could get on SSI or find a job or something.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:19 AM

6,853 posts, read 3,722,997 times
Walmart. Lowes/Home Depot. Kroger (or whoever is the grocery chain where you are). What manufacturing plants are in your area? Assembly line or general labor. Mowing lawns.

Our local Walmart employs a young man who is even further on the spectrum than you. Started collecting carts & greeter in the store. Now does a lot of things. Everyone in town recognizes him when they go in.

The big box stores are always looking for stockers and labor. I have several friends that work there and moved up quickly.

There are probably a lot of lawn service businesses in your area. Hard work, but they're usually looking for help. In fact had a neighbor who bought a new mower and thought it would be nice to mow a few yards to help pay for it. Quickly turned into more business than he could handle.

The important thing is don't focus so much on the education degree that it holds you back. Just get a job right now. And then while working you can look for specific opportunities related to your degree. What you need however is confidence you can succeed at a job. Stop looking for the magic bullet to a perfect job; there isn't one. There's a lot of people on here over they years that have provided advice and support and who really want you to succeed.

Here's your homework: Make a list of every Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, grocery, manufacturing plant, fast food, and convenience store in your area. Now go to each and every one and apply for work. Go to the car lots and apply for a job as a detailer. Apply to the lawn companies. When you reach the end, expand the list to nearby towns. Go back to the top and start over; they have constant turnover. Come back here and post the list in the work forum. Each time you apply/interview come back and tell us how it went so we can tailor improvements for the next interview. Heck, apply for a job cleaning fish on a trawler out of Alaska for that matter. All these things are meant to be positive steps to get you moving ahead and stop dwelling on what you can't do. Break the negative spiral.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Walmart. Lowes/Home Depot. Kroger (or whoever is the grocery chain where you are). What manufacturing plants are in your area? Assembly line or general labor. Mowing lawns.

Our local Walmart employs a young man who is even further on the spectrum than you. Started collecting carts & greeter in the store. Now does a lot of things. Everyone in town recognizes him when they go in.

The big box stores are always looking for stockers and labor. I have several friends that work there and moved up quickly.

There are probably a lot of lawn service businesses in your area. Hard work, but they're usually looking for help. In fact had a neighbor who bought a new mower and thought it would be nice to mow a few yards to help pay for it. Quickly turned into more business than he could handle.

The important thing is don't focus so much on the education degree that it holds you back. Just get a job right now. And then while working you can look for specific opportunities related to your degree. What you need however is confidence you can succeed at a job. Stop looking for the magic bullet to a perfect job; there isn't one. There's a lot of people on here over they years that have provided advice and support and who really want you to succeed.

Here's your homework: Make a list of every Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, grocery, manufacturing plant, fast food, and convenience store in your area. Now go to each and every one and apply for work. Go to the car lots and apply for a job as a detailer. Apply to the lawn companies. When you reach the end, expand the list to nearby towns. Go back to the top and start over; they have constant turnover. Come back here and post the list in the work forum. Each time you apply/interview come back and tell us how it went so we can tailor improvements for the next interview. Heck, apply for a job cleaning fish on a trawler out of Alaska for that matter. All these things are meant to be positive steps to get you moving ahead and stop dwelling on what you can't do. Break the negative spiral.
I'll look, but the person at the employment office said that it could take months to find work, and the fact that I live in a small town hurts me a bit, because I can't go to the cities the town lies in between every day to look for work.

That means I'm usually stuck going to their websites, putting in an application, and hoping for a callback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or