Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 03:25 PM

10,948 posts, read 6,991,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
(To the OP):
Not quite sure what "(seems like) experience doesn't matter" means. That's the only thing that matter, once you've cleared the idiot gatekeepers.
Where I live currently, they could care less about experience. What matters - and what I've seen repeatedly - is an ideal candidate: age 20-30s, white, dressed like the locals, attended the high schools and colleges of the locals, etc. Maybe it does get better past the "idiot gatekeepers", but if you can't get past them, well, it becomes irrelevant.

In one position, I had much more experience than anyone on our team, but another person (with no relevant technical background; he had a history degree) got the promotion. So, I've seen the same thing on the "inside", even after months on the job.

Conditions are better in other areas. I know that. I just picked a crappy location to move to, and that's my fault.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 02-19-2019 at 04:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 12:21 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,707,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I went to an interview last week. They said they want to hire 3 people ASAP. They gave me a card with a web address to fill out an application. I went to the site to look for the ad and the job wasn't listed. I emailed the interviewer to let them know. No response back. And the job is still posted.

The interviewer said he had 5 more interviews scheduled for later in the day. I think I was told a story. How can you be interviewing 6 people in one day, then not have the online application up AND be looking to hire ASAP. It's pretty annoying going to an interview and being given information that makes no sense.

I actually ended up being hired for this job. I'm scheduled to start training on Friday and have already filled out my direct deposit and tax paperwork.

I guess the hiring process can be chaotic. I read some good advice in a book a few months ago. It said that there are a lot of things out of your control. You can speculate what has happened on the other end. Like maybe they have put off hiring for a couple weeks. Maybe they had an internal candidate in mind. And so many other things you can think of. So it's best to ignore those thoughts and focus on what you can do. And mostly that is to apply to a large number of jobs, polish your resume and interview better. Eventually those unknowns will end up in your favor.

I had been becoming a little bitter and depressed in my job search, because it seems I can do everything right and still not get the job. But I just applied and applied. I had gotten jobs faster before. I think it can be a benefit to have to search more. I widened my net and had more time to think about what I really want in a new job. If I got a job sooner, I would have not been aware of opportunities that took more digging to discover.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:42 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,828,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insulator_king View Post
It's tough when you don't have highly sought after skills.

It's even tougher when you don't have a personal connection to someone working already who can put a word in for you.

Learn an in demand skill.
Get to know working people, and put out the word.
Even with an in-demand skill the employer believes there are 100 other people with your same skill level are just watering at the mouth just to interview with their company.

Complete lack of awareness of talent concentration on the market.

Old 03-04-2019, 04:15 PM

37 posts, read 29,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
In 2019 many companies schedule several interviews and string along candidates for months before they make a choice. They have a lot of people involved in the process because no one wants to be blamed if someone doesn't work out. They are looking for a consensus.

At least you know what you're in for these days. Do your best to manage your expectations.
It seems this way. There is a tremendous lack of trust towards job seekers today, and I mean by that unemployed job seekers. Thanks to mass shooters, pedophiles, and other headline grabbing criminals in our daily news cycle, I don't think anyone is taking a chance on someone they don't know, unless there are tons of solid references and an online presence that communicates zero shadiness. Even then, it helps to know somebody in the company and be really persistent.

Old 03-04-2019, 04:18 PM

37 posts, read 29,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
How a company treats their candidates is how they will treat their employees.

Beating up candidates lead to beating up employees.
Don't say that. If that's true, I'm in for hell at the employer I'm hoping to be hired for. I think job applicants, particularly unemployed applicants, are so expendable and plentiful, that these interviewers really don't respect us. If that's the case, what respect can we expect from our employers if we are to be hired? At my last job, a man put in a complaint about being treated the exact same as an employee who had just been hired as far as pay rate, after he had worked for the company for 15 years. The employer's response? "Be grateful you have a job." That's the disdain with which employers view many.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:31 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,183,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreadedskyhook View Post
Don't say that. If that's true, I'm in for hell at the employer I'm hoping to be hired for.
Looks like you'll find out the hard way.

Quote:
I think job applicants, particularly unemployed applicants, are so expendable and plentiful, that these interviewers really don't respect us.
Employers discriminate against unemployed candidates, they prefer "passive candidates" that already have jobs and are interested in making a move.

Quote:
If that's the case, what respect can we expect from our employers if we are to be hired?
You'll get a good idea how much they respect you during the interview.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:35 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,637,889 times
It’s horrible. I really want a new job, but the process is so exhausting and demoralizing. Most recently I had a company ask me to put together a presentation from a case study that was sent to me. I spent hours researching, putting it together, making sure it was branded and practiced, practiced, practiced.

Ten minutes before my (video call) interview they canceled. I honestly have never been so furious in my life. I emailed them to tell them how unprofessional they were to make me go through something like that, I wasn’t the only candidate this was done to (thank ypu Glassdoor!) surprisingly they apologized. Too little too late. Taking myself out of the game for a bit.

Old 03-05-2019, 04:53 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,594,783 times
So just had a disappointing experience. Went for job interview, went well, asked for references right same day as the job interview (I have never had anyone ask for references that fast) only to find out a day later that I did not get it. I did reach out to my references and no one was ever contacted. My guess is they already made an offer to someone and after a few days that someone finally accepted, thus there was no need to contact my references ( I feel that I was their second).

I am grateful that I did make it that far and I am now starting to get phone interviews for jobs (it's brutal getting laid off right before the Holidays) but the process is so long going. What I am finding now is you will get the initial phone call/ email wanting to set up a interview. You respond positively, you are ready to interview etc... and then nothing, nobody ever contacts you back. Your email goes unanswered, nobody calls you back etc... All contact is just cut off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search