Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 12:05 PM

345 posts, read 252,159 times

Advertisements

And then there's the personality test. The company recruiter talks to you for about 30 minutes, your skills and salary range are what they are looking for, so you are sent a link for a test. This has happened to me multiple times where I spend an hour or two taking their test only to never hear from them again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 03:07 PM

480 posts, read 316,263 times
It's tough when you don't have highly sought after skills.

It's even tougher when you don't have a personal connection to someone working already who can put a word in for you.

Learn an in demand skill.
Get to know working people, and put out the word.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:20 PM

345 posts, read 252,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insulator_king View Post
It's tough when you don't have highly sought after skills.

It's even tougher when you don't have a personal connection to someone working already who can put a word in for you.

Get to know working people, and put out the word.
I'm not sure why you would assume the interview process would be so much better if you have highly sought after skills or a personal connection.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:23 PM

669 posts, read 581,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesfive View Post
And then there's the personality test. The company recruiter talks to you for about 30 minutes, your skills and salary range are what they are looking for, so you are sent a link for a test. This has happened to me multiple times where I spend an hour or two taking their test only to never hear from them again.
Or at the conclusion of an interview ...the interviewer said that the final task was to record a video of oneself demonstrating WHY they are the best candidate for the position. I sent an email later that day explaining that I would not be submitting a video and thanked them for the opportunity to interview with them. Same job is relisted periodically .......

Old 02-14-2019, 08:34 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
I'd rather gargle concentrated acid than deal with the hiring process again.
-long inefficient redundant job apps
-Obnoxious interviewers that think beating people up at an interview is doing a good job
-bimbo HR asking stupid irrelevant questions trying to pretend they are a psychological profiler
-Junk science psychometric tests
-Companies ghosting candidates then complaining when candidates do the same
-Playing salary games it's like "The Price is Right" guess as high as possible without going over.

I don't bother unless I am desperate. And employers wonder why they have trouble finding talent?

Old 02-14-2019, 12:15 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,040 times
Dear god yes and I am not even talking about the in-person interview part which is whole issue of problems.

As a job seeker, assuming you don't know anyone on the inside, this is what you have to look forward to:

1) Oh you already uploaded your resume, will here you have to manually fill out every past job (location, contact info, duties etc...) anyway.

2) Job has been posted for the last 30 days, I am not sure if the job is even still open but because I am desperate I will apply anyway.

3) You have no idea if the job is still open or if they already have someone they want to hire and are just interviewing "for show", but again because you are desperate you will apply.

4) I hope you enjoy taking those 80 question personality screens at the end of every interview

5) Listing a salary, what the heck is that? No we rather you just guess the salary that the position is talking about.

6) Do you enjoy getting to the in-person interview and never hearing back again, not even taking the time to send you a rejection email? Then boy you are in great luck!

I mean, you want to remain positive, you never ever want to give up. But with how agonizing job hunting is today, there are days, there are certainly days when you want to give up.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:02 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
I mean, you want to remain positive, you never ever want to give up. But with how agonizing job hunting is today, there are days, there are certainly days when you want to give up.
Sorry to hear, but thank you so much for posting. It's important to know that we aren't alone in feeling like that. I can definitely relate. It can be very disappointing. I know there's a thread about job search "stress", but for me, it's more about dismalness.

I know my mood towards it rises and falls to some degree. When encountering a lot of nonsense, I have to back off a bit, even take a break from it. Sometimes a refreshed outlook helps, if only in mood, but that's at least something.

Hang in there people. We're important too, regardless of what the world thinks or the message they seem to be giving off. I'm thankful for this forum, too

Old 02-14-2019, 01:25 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Sorry to hear, but thank you so much for posting. It's important to know that we aren't alone in feeling like that. I can definitely relate. It can be very disappointing. I know there's a thread about job search "stress", but for me, it's more about dismalness.

I know my mood towards it rises and falls to some degree. When encountering a lot of nonsense, I have to back off a bit, even take a break from it. Sometimes a refreshed outlook helps, if only in mood, but that's at least something.

Hang in there people. We're important too, regardless of what the world thinks or the message they seem to be giving off. I'm thankful for this forum, too
Aye you def. need to take time to vent or heck even a few hours or at least a day off from the job hunt. Otherwise I find you start to "live in your own head" to much. To that end tt's refreshing to post on city data because god forbid you make one post of the job hunt on Facebook and all of a sudden "you are whiny and complaining".

Old 02-14-2019, 05:26 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insulator_king View Post
That's not enough. No experience, no job. Just because someone learns a skill does not mean they qualify for any job that's not sales or Mcjob.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:51 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
That's not enough. No experience, no job. Just because someone learns a skill does not mean they qualify for any job that's not sales or Mcjob.
I was a shipping clerk $11/hr. The option was to keep shipping or to learn a new skill. The report developer was too busy to make our shipping reports. I took over the shipping reports in MS Access

Eventually, I got lost my job during the recession when the company went under. I got a full time MS access job making $50k doing Access reports. As I learned new skills, I offered to help others at work. I would some nice experience and move on.

For a shipping clerk with no exp and no job(laid off), I would have been worse off by not learning the new skills. I would have likely ended up as a long-term unemployed. There wasn't a great demand for shipping clerks in 2008-2009.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search