U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 04:09 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,138,052 times

Advertisements

Interviews used to be so simple, for me at least. I'd meet in person with one man or two, we'd talk, and then I'd hear back if accepted or not.

More lately, and in a different state and region, it's a phone interview, and then an in-person interview. The interviewers are almost always women, and much younger women. I've gotten turned down for job's I've been well qualified for, and have seen where inexperienced women have gotten the job instead.

Now, I've got a doozy package awaiting me. First an in-person interview in three sessions, with seven people (six of which are women). Then a web interview two days later, with two more women. The job is fairly low-key, so it's strange to have so many involved. I'll gladly do all of this for the chance at the job, and play along, but off-record, sometimes these things seem to be overkill.

Maybe this is more of an "SOS" and minor venting than anything else. I just wonder if anyone else feels stuck in a weird time-warp, with all the rules changed, and kind of black and blue by the way things work these days. I'm a pleasant, friendly person, with lots of experience, but none of that seems to matter any more. It's like a certain image is wanted instead, something I don't fit or match, and there's no way to overcome the new approach.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 02-08-2019 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 04:26 PM

662 posts, read 222,646 times
I am worn out reading the qualifications and duties in a job description and the hoops to go through for just applying for the job.....maybe I am too old to try.....

Old 02-09-2019, 05:13 PM

2,404 posts, read 684,967 times
How a company treats their candidates is how they will treat their employees.

Beating up candidates lead to beating up employees.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:16 AM

700 posts, read 1,672,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The interviewers are almost always women, and much younger women. I've gotten turned down for job's I've been well qualified for, and have seen where inexperienced women have gotten the job instead.

I'll gladly do all of this for the chance at the job, and play along, but off-record, sometimes these things seem to be overkill.

It's like a certain image is wanted instead, something I don't fit or match, and there's no way to overcome the new approach.

Right behind you in your observations. In my past decade of working and interviewing for work, I will agree and the decathlon of nonsense is getting more rigorous. Is it the reason behind requiring so many HR degrees (is this even a major??) - because they've dissected hiring so much and so badly?

After all the pseudo inter-personal trials come the Hunger Games.

Soft 'dislikes' of the modern interviewing world:
Inane questions (what are you reading right now?)

Personality tests based on HR rag mag junk science (are you party animal Alvin or wallflower Wanda?)
Group interviews with ALL women - fuggetaboudit (I have been hired by men/women teams and men. NEVER hired by women)

Hard 'dislikes' of the modern interviewing world:
No you cannot have my SS# on a job application, and carte blanche to my private financial life before we even interview

No you cannot have references before we even interview - are you looking for a hire candidate or gossip?
No I do not have a LinkedIn page, which is just a tool for HR to spy and make irrelevant conclusions
No I will not identify myself as white, or female any longer (and guess what? the last 2 times I was playing games with this notion, I received contact from the recruiters)

Were people more educated before technology and better able to read the people they were intending to hire?

Old 02-11-2019, 10:20 AM

12,161 posts, read 10,339,034 times
The whole process is not fun, at all. It's very tiring.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:47 PM

23,557 posts, read 17,535,380 times
It's utterly exhausting.

I'm not commutable to any other job center. I'm a hundred miles away from the nearest decent sized metro with more jobs. I'm close to 200 miles away from the newest major city (Charlotte). I'll be applying for jobs in Charlotte, Raleigh, or Nashville, and someone might contact me on a Tuesday and want me to come in for an onsite interview on a Thursday, for instance.

Anytime I get an onsite interview request, I have to put in a PTO request. Oftentimes it's pulling teeth to even get a pay range.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:09 PM

298 posts, read 135,520 times
I'm right there with you OP. I'm going for a position now and it's taken every ounce of energy I have and I haven't even been invited to a face to face yet. So far: 30 minutes with company recruiter, 30 minutes with hiring manager, and 5 30-45 minute interviews with various people in the group. I can't talk at work so I've had to use vacation because they told me they don't like to schedule their people outside of normal business hours (even though I offered to go outside of my normal business hours). So here I sit waiting to hear back if I am one of the final 3 for a face to face (I found out from one of the phone interviews that I am going up against some internal candidates). I guess I should be honored that I was one of the five to be invited for a phone interview.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:36 AM

1,546 posts, read 399,556 times
In 2019 many companies schedule several interviews and string along candidates for months before they make a choice. They have a lot of people involved in the process because no one wants to be blamed if someone doesn't work out. They are looking for a consensus.

At least you know what you're in for these days. Do your best to manage your expectations.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:39 AM

23,557 posts, read 17,535,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
In 2019 many companies schedule several interviews and string along candidates for months before they make a choice. They have a lot of people involved in the process because no one wants to be blamed if someone doesn't work out. They are looking for a consensus.

At least you know what you're in for these days. Do your best to manage your expectations.
I applied for a state job recently. Phone screen went well, followed by a Skype video interview with the team.

They want me to come in for an interview. They would only do Wednesdays, and yet another panel interview, and only in person. I'm in eastern TN, the job was in Raleigh. That's 4.5 hours with no traffic. The interview could only be at 9:30 - no flexibility at all. Oh, and they couldn't do more than a week out, which I would have to get PTO approved and everything.

I'd probably be leaving here around 4 AM if I left that morning. With any luck, I might have gotten back by dinner time that night. Brutal. I just withdrew my candidacy. It wasn't worth the effort for what it paid.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:25 AM

636 posts, read 238,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
They want me to come in for an interview. They would only do Wednesdays, and yet another panel interview, and only in person. I'm in eastern TN, the job was in Raleigh. That's 4.5 hours with no traffic. The interview could only be at 9:30 - no flexibility at all. Oh, and they couldn't do more than a week out, which I would have to get PTO approved and everything.
The parts in bold are just flat out obnoxious, especially since they're dealing with out-of-town candidates. Sounds like you dodged a bullet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or