Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 04:23 PM

334 posts, read 221,417 times

Advertisements

Wow. The more I read on this message board, the more shocked I am. Someone on the unemployment section of this board telling someone not to take the call from unemployment for their phone hearing. Others going on and on about how you should give two weeks' notice no matter how terrible the company treated you and actually you should give a month's notice! Yet, others claiming they are perfect and never ever fib on their resume.

Are you people serious???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 07:54 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Different people, different opinions, and different actions.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:52 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,237 times
what do you expect on an internet forum? There's people here that give good advice; and others not so much.. In the end it's up the reader to decide what advice (if any) to take.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:15 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
FYI We don't require anyone to pass a test or anything to post here.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:24 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Free advice is worth what you pay for it.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:47 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post
Wow. The more I read on this message board, the more shocked I am.

Someone on the unemployment section of this board telling someone not to take the call from unemployment for their phone hearing.

Actually, that is the best advice one can give regarding unemployment. This advice has been confirmed on the Unemployment sub-forum by former UI employees, by an ALJ who handled unemployment cases for years, and two labor attorneys who handled claimants judicial appeals in State Courts.

Let's examine why.

First unless you were legitimately laid off or you quit; when fired It Is Not You Job To Explain Why You Are Unemployed, that is the job of your former employer.

In all states, unemployment benefits are required by federal law to be paid UNLESS a person is found to be disqualified. That means you get benefits unless the state has a reason to deny you based on the reason for being unemployed.

Now, lets look at it from the "take the call" and the "Don;t take the call" perspectives.

If you take the call, anything you say can be used to deny you benefits. If they asked why you are unemployed and you give any reason that is misconduct, you will be denied. The fact that you disagree with why or that the impact wasn't really bad or it's not a violation of company policy, you already said the reason and afterwards is trying to lessen the impact. It's called "Admit and Justify" something you will see in many unemployment cases. If you admit or tell them any reason that is misconduct, you will most likely be denied. Now imagine being denied and finding out your employer didn't even respond to unemployment or didn't give a disqualifying reason; the reason for the denial came out of your mouth.

Lets examine the same situation when you don't take the call. If your employer says you did something wrong they most likely will deny you benefits. That denial will occur regardless if you do or don't speak with unemployment. But if your employer does not respond or give a non disqualifying reason, you not taking the call prevent you from mucking it up. When you don;t take the call and your employer has not responded, you get benefits automatically because there was no reason to deny.

We have had many people who were denied only to find out their employer never responded to unemployment. Those denials was based on what came out of the claimants own mouth. Additionally, if denied, you have to appeal and part of the process is sending the interviewer's notes and determination to each side. Your employer now knows what you admitted and can use that to tailor their misconduct claim against you.

If you look at a state like CA where the results of appeals are public record, the vast majority of people who did't take the call and did not go blabbing anything to unemployment, had their denial overturned on appeal. When you speak to unemployment, your odds are reduced.

Now, recently some states have rolled out the "no determination until they speak to you" but this is where a person has to be strong enough to say "I don't know" "Beats me" "I sort of went limped after they told me I'm fired and didn't hear why" "I couldn't hear the reason with all my crying". The skilled interrogators are trained to extract information using many tricks. Those can even be false or deceptive but effective at getting you to start talking. Unemployment interviewers are not stupid, they are skilled at getting a person to talk so you have to be strong enough to refrain from being your own worst enemy by blabbing. Unfortunately many who come to the Unemployment sub forum for advice were weak.

However, I would be very interested in hearing your justification why you feel the advice to "Not take the call" is bad advice.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:03 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,072,384 times
Quote:
Someone on the unemployment section of this board telling someone not to take the call from unemployment for their phone hearing.
I did no such thing. The difference between a phone hearing and a phone interview is the difference between a police interrogation and a trial.

You don't talk to the police, and you hope you don't have to testify at your trial. The only talking you do at your UI hearing is to act in the same capacity that your defense attorney would be doing and that is to keep out the evidence, make hearsay objections, and impeach witness testimony against you rather than trying to prove that you didn't do it.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:31 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
Quote:
Yet, others claiming they are perfect and never ever fib on their resume.

I never claimed to be perfect (I am far from it, actually), but I have "never ever" "fibbed" on my resume. I've seen people get caught doing it, and I've known people who didn't get caught doing it. I tend to get caught and I'm not willing to take the chance and my actual experience is just fine.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:31 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,941,858 times
There are a lot of super liberal always do the right thing on here. Not necessarily realistic in the real world. Most people I know exaggerate or lie on their resumes, yet if you post anything about that on here you get preached to and told you will get caught.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:29 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
There are a lot of super liberal always do the right thing on here. Not necessarily realistic in the real world. Most people I know exaggerate or lie on their resumes, yet if you post anything about that on here you get preached to and told you will get caught.
Exaggerating or lying on your resume is the same as when you do it in real life. You may get caught or you may not - but it certainly reveals a lot about your character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search