U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 07:10 PM

602 posts, read 454,344 times

Advertisements

So I've been having a very hard time finding a job, but do have solid experience. It has been over a year since I've been employed. Months without a bite. Money is going to be non-existent next month, I'm already homeless and nobody is going to help me financially. So I changed my location last week to target the area I've been applying for. This week I received an interview request. I'm looking for help on how I can prepare for the location interrogation portion of the interview so that I can get this job. Tips from those who have done this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 09:48 PM

2,477 posts, read 704,890 times
Candidates are invisible to employers if they're out of state or out of location. Tell them you are willing to relocate to get this job, no problem. If you're not willing to relocate, there's a problem.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:27 AM

7,200 posts, read 2,964,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z06 View Post
So I've been having a very hard time finding a job, but do have solid experience. It has been over a year since I've been employed. Months without a bite. Money is going to be non-existent next month, I'm already homeless and nobody is going to help me financially. So I changed my location last week to target the area I've been applying for. This week I received an interview request. I'm looking for help on how I can prepare for the location interrogation portion of the interview so that I can get this job. Tips from those who have done this?
If/when they ask your location tell them you are mobile, no attachments, and can easily relocate. Unless that's not true. Is this realistic if you do get the job or would you need help to pay those expenses?

Old 02-13-2019, 07:10 AM

12,190 posts, read 10,393,690 times
If you must mention your old/current location then state you are in the process of moving and have been bouncing back and forth between the two locations. Let them know what date you could be available to be permanently in the new location.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
If/when they ask your location tell them you are mobile, no attachments, and can easily relocate. Unless that's not true. Is this realistic if you do get the job or would you need help to pay those expenses?
Are you offering to help me with those expenses?

Old 02-13-2019, 10:34 AM

8,767 posts, read 10,862,335 times
Quote:
Are you offering to help me with those expenses?
Working around including a local location on your resume is an issue that can be resolved. But, it sounds like you are now expecting a new employer to pay your moving expenses ... after you told them you lived locally. Probably best to see if you get the job first (after the interview, which one is to assume you can make?)

Old 02-13-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
If you must mention your old/current location then state you are in the process of moving and have been bouncing back and forth between the two locations. Let them know what date you could be available to be permanently in the new location.
I'm sure they will at least confirm my location. The idea to lead to a slightly different area as part of a response sounds good. Thanks for that. Knowing when a candidate can start is what they want to know and I'm available right away.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:40 AM

2,347 posts, read 1,458,801 times
Quote:
I'm looking for help on how I can prepare for the location interrogation portion of the interview so that I can get this job. Tips from those who have done this?
I'm not sure what the "location interrogation portion of the interview" is? I've never been interrogated about my location before in an interview. I do think that if you are implying you live locally, that you are very unlikely to get any relocation expenses covered. Do you know the area around where you've said you live at all? I assume you haven't chosen an address that is an actual storefront or other non-residential area. If they ask you questions you can't answer about the location, just indicate that it is a new residence for you and you haven't had a chance to do much exploration yet.

Good luck- I hope you are able to land the job.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Working around including a local location on your resume is an issue that can be resolved. But, it sounds like you are now expecting a new employer to pay your moving expenses ... after you told them you lived locally. Probably best to see if you get the job first (after the interview, which one is to assume you can make?)
In no way am I expecting the employer to pay for a relocation expenses after telling them I'm local. Yes, I'm dumb but not that dumb. In what way do you think the location issue on my resume could be resolved?

Old 02-13-2019, 10:44 AM

12,190 posts, read 10,393,690 times
Quote:
I'm sure they will at least confirm my location. The idea to lead to a slightly different area as part of a response sounds good. Thanks for that. Knowing when a candidate can start is what they want to know and I'm available right away.
If it's in your budget rent a PO Box in the new area. It will show a bit of a commitment to the new area. Also, get a local number if you haven't already (free through Google Voice).

When I was searching in two states and they asked, I said yes my permanent residence is California but I am in X location frequently staying with a friend to job hunt. I said I'd make the move permanent on X date. Usually chose about a month in the future and say I'd be willing to speed it up if hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search