U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 11:54 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,162,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Nothing with HR surprises me...
I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 02:27 PM

4,045 posts, read 3,280,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
In my adventures at job searching over many moons, I've encountered a newbie that's really takes the cake.

For a potential employer - among other hoops to jump through - I was to take an online "assessment". Some of it was calculations, spotting grammatical errors, and determining "how many letters after such did such have"; that kind of stuff. But sandwiched before and after was a series of questions to be answered from "not at all" to "always". In other words, rate the sentence as it applies to me.

I answered all the questions as accurately and honestly as possible, but then got an email back from the recruiter that the score was "too perfect", and the assessment was rejected. LOL It was a WTF moment. I was told to retake it - which I did - but it will probably have the same results, because I have no reason to answer differently.

Has anyone else come across nonsense like this? It's dumb for them to assume I 'overdid" the assessment, as was hinted at in the email. Hey, if it's accurate and representative, how could it be invalid? In the end, it really sends a bad impression of said company, and the outside vendor/site they are depending on to analyze the information.
With the caveat that I'm not an expert in assessment tests, thought there were several that specifically try to trip up behavioral outliers, who are obviously lying to put the best foot forward? That most everyone flunks first round, because they want to sound like an angel?

"have you ever stolen office supplies" A: "No, not ever!" BZZZZT: 99% of employees liberate pens, pencils, pads, and other sundry. I've got a few in front of me right now. Right? NO. Typical? YES. I don't know why people do this, including me, but you look like a fraud misrepresenting on such tests.

If you're a 1% type (or whatever) who returns all pens, sticky notes, books, and others to your employer like God Himself was throwing lighting on sinners, there are other parts of the test to trip you up, too as they're given on a clock with more questions than you can really think about carefully. I read about some of this a couple years ago, after I'd done the same (online only) and been pinned down as really tossing the bull as far as the test was concerned. They were right, too.

Once you figure that out, the very rare times I must take such tests I just jam through it, hell or high water, with truthful answers. "Too perfect" pretty much is a euphemism for, "we question if you fully understood the test and answered with complete candor."

Found this online, worth exactly what you paid for it:

"Faking is a problem for all kinds of testing. Overt employee integrity tests make it easy for candidates to tell employers what they want to hear. For example, candidates may have to rate statements like “I have lied to my boss to get out of trouble” or “I would steal from work if I could get away with it.” Most candidates will instantly know which answers are acceptable. So, people who score high on integrity tests could either be ethical paragons or accomplished liars."

Old 02-19-2019, 02:35 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,162,751 times
^ All I know is that I answered accurately. And yes, I do value ethics and ethical behavior. That's a plus in my book, not a negative. If they don't like that, I don't need them. I'm not going to lie, or fake something like a con artist. That's not me.

I can't speak for other people and what they do, but I can easily and clearly answer for myself. This was about me after all, not a test of what the rest of the world thinks. If they wanted something different from the instructions, they should have indicated that. I'm not into playing games.

It's just weird; what they we're trying to imply. If they really wanted to know me, they'd have me come in, face-to-face. They'd see me and I'd see them, we would look each other in the eyes, and we'd talk back and forth like humans are to do. None of this squirrely guessing and cowardly stuff behind technical gimmicks that obviously don't work. They're shooting themselves in the foot with this approach.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 02-19-2019 at 03:15 PM..

Old 02-20-2019, 02:10 PM

2,078 posts, read 610,748 times
Do not proceed and do not pass go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search