U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 11:07 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,136,536 times

Advertisements

In my adventures at job searching over many moons, I've encountered a newbie that's really takes the cake.

For a potential employer - among other hoops to jump through - I was to take an online "assessment". Some of it was calculations, spotting grammatical errors, and determining "how many letters after such did such have"; that kind of stuff. But sandwiched before and after was a series of questions to be answered from "not at all" to "always". In other words, rate the sentence as it applies to me.

I answered all the questions as accurately and honestly as possible, but then got an email back from the recruiter that the score was "too perfect", and the assessment was rejected. LOL It was a WTF moment. I was told to retake it - which I did - but it will probably have the same results, because I have no reason to answer differently.

Has anyone else come across nonsense like this? It's dumb for them to assume I 'overdid" the assessment, as was hinted at in the email. Hey, if it's accurate and representative, how could it be invalid? In the end, it really sends a bad impression of said company, and the outside vendor/site they are depending on to analyze the information.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 02-13-2019 at 11:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 11:12 AM

4,645 posts, read 2,286,704 times
You should have replied to the HR recruiter and told them that you won't apologize for being perfect. Aren't companies only searching to hire unicorns anyway?

Joking aside, I've never encountered anything like that. That sounds like a first!

Old 02-13-2019, 11:19 AM

Thanks. Instead of me being or answering too "perfect", it's clear that there is imperfection, especially with the analyzing software and/or folks using it (an outside vendor to the company applied to).

Inversely, I can only wonder how the questions are typically answered, and what others are marking, for my responses to be so "perfect" in comparison. The questions are very straightforward, but do require attention. There were probably at least 60 or 70 questions total (one sentence each), and maybe others had trouble focusing that long. It's all so weird though.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 02-13-2019 at 12:04 PM..

Old 02-13-2019, 11:56 AM

602 posts, read 452,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It's dumb for them to assume I 'overdid" the assessment, as was hinted at in the email. Hey, if it's accurate and representative, how could it be invalid? In the end, it really sends a bad impression of said company, and the outside vendor/site they are depending on to analyze the information.
To add to that, if you were cheating wouldn't you already have the the answers? They may have so many people that failed, a successful candidate set a red flag.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z06 View Post
To add to that, if you were cheating wouldn't you already have the the answers? They may have so many people that failed, a successful candidate set a red flag.
Maybe so, I'm not sure. All I know is that I did everything proper and ethical on my end, and they don't seem to like the results.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Maybe so, I'm not sure. All I know is that I did everything proper and ethical on my end, and they don't seem to like the results.
If they are now responding and asking to collect additional personal information on you as part of your retry, I'd identify it as a scam.

There are "recruiters" targeting people in the software industry on job boards that put out an ad, you apply with a resume, they respond saying you are a match and a top runner and then ask you to create a profile on their website to move further. If I was a match, the next step is to discuss the job over the phone or in person.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
If they are now responding and asking to collect additional personal information on you as part of your retry, I'd identify it as a scam.
I don't think it's a scam, because the originating emails (with instructions as to what to do, and links to the assessment sites) came from the employer who I applied to. The issues are with the vendor they are using to "assess" potential employees. The employer apparently has too much faith in them. I'm likely more familiar with where the faults lie, but am not in a position to be critical of the vendor to the potential employer. That will just make me look worse, even though I'm probably correct.

The kicker is that in order to answer more like they apparently are used to, I'd have to answer differently. I'd have to lie to get the responses to the more usual / typical responses. That's how ridiculous this becomes. I'm not going to do that though. If they can't accept me for who I am - more perfect than the usual applicant? (ha ha) - they can settle for someone else, even someone less competent. I'm not changing who I am due to a fault with software and/or other people.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 02-13-2019 at 12:48 PM..

Old 02-13-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:

The kicker is that in order to answer more like they apparently are used to, I'd have to answer differently. I'd have to lie to get the responses to the more usual / typical responses. That's how ridiculous this becomes. I'm not going to do that though. If they can't accept me for who I am - more perfect than the usual applicant? (ha ha) - they can settle for someone else, even someone less competent. I'm not changing who I am due to a fault with software and/or other people.
Consider emailing the company you applied to and tell them what happened. They probably do not know. After all, who would email them and be critical of their hiring process? But if you do it in a way that its short, succinct and a respectful fyi, you could stand out from all the other candidates.

When applying for a job at a huge company, in my cover letter I told them their submission tool wasn't working. A major feature was completely broken. From that, a recruiter contacted me for a phone screen. I moved forward from there to an interview.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Consider emailing the company you applied to and tell them what happened. They probably do not know.
The representative for the company I applied to is the one who let me know about the issues with the assessment. So they do know. All communications have been through the employer.

I do have the web vendor's site and name, but don't plan to notify them or communicate with them as it would likely not help.

It's all out of my hands. I'll let the chips fall where they may. It's just a shame if potentially good applicants are rejected due to software or inferior analysis and assumption.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:44 AM

8,788 posts, read 13,274,979 times
Nothing with HR surprises me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search