U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 10:04 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,150,950 times

Advertisements

Have any others noticed ageism on some company job boards? Sending the impression of the age group valued most by the employers? In some cases the message is probably deliberate; other times they're probably not aware of what they are so blatantly revealing.

Race preference comes into play too. Check out this example:

https://www.woodward.com/careers.aspx

Oh, those attractive 20-something whites. How blessed they are
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 03:32 PM

1,870 posts, read 721,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Have any others noticed ageism on some company job boards? Sending the impression of the age group valued most by the employers? In some cases the message is probably deliberate; other times they're probably not aware of what they are so blatantly revealing.

Race preference comes into play too. Check out this example:

https://www.woodward.com/careers.aspx

Oh, those attractive 20-something whites. How blessed they are
Yes, they are young and cheap. That is what so great about them. You can pay them much less than older employees.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Yes, they are young and cheap. That is what so great about them. You can pay them much less than older employees.
Nice try - and pure capitalist claptrap. There's discrimination there, and you know it.

I've equalled myself to the same pay grade as the young folks - repeatedly - but that's made no difference. That proves that lesser pay is a red-herring and distraction tactic away from what's really going on.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:28 PM

2,465 posts, read 701,111 times
Quote:
Nice try - and pure crony capitalist claptrap.
FIFY.

If this was really about capitalism, we'd see older workers getting raises instead of age discrimination. It is cheaper to hire an older worker who sticks around and does good work than someone who bails after 2-3 years and the company has to keep replacing them. Hiring people repeatedly is expensive. Turnover hurts the bottom line.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:08 PM

602 posts, read 453,997 times
They should have a pic including people of every color shade possible, a person of every age, every variation of sex and the same variations of people dressed up to represent every religion. Then you have all kids of people across the spectrum. Religious or not. Anything else is discriminatory.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:53 PM

2,465 posts, read 701,111 times
How's this for ageism on job boards:

* Year of graduation from degree is a MANDATORY field.
* Your birthdate is a mandatory field.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
How's this for ageism on job boards:

* Year of graduation from degree is a MANDATORY field.
* Your birthdate is a mandatory field.
Very true. And if they really want to follow the law about discrimination, they won't tempt themselves with asking for that kind of information.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 02-14-2019 at 08:25 PM..

Old 02-14-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
It is cheaper to hire an older worker who sticks around and does good work than someone who bails after 2-3 years and the company has to keep replacing them. Hiring people repeatedly is expensive. Turnover hurts the bottom line.
I've seen this to be true with several companies that I keep an eye on, and who constantly prefer younger hirees. There is constant turnover and training/retraining. I even know of people on the inside who have witnessed the situation, but are powerless to stop the hiring folks (who are also now younger) from repeating the dysfunction.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:01 PM

1,870 posts, read 721,109 times
Quote:
Nice try - and pure capitalist claptrap. There's discrimination there, and you know it.

I've equalled myself to the same pay grade as the young folks - repeatedly - but that's made no difference. That proves that lesser pay is a red-herring and distraction tactic away from what's really going on.
No need to be rude. Of course there is age discrimination. But the main reason is that youngsters are cheaper to hire. There are also stereotypes about older workers. Even if the oldster is earning the same as the youngsters, the youngsters are preferred because of the perception that experienced workers cost more.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:48 AM

666 posts, read 224,568 times
I finished my Bachelors Degree 17 years after HS graduation....that skews the age perception...until the interview of course...lol! Hey, i had to pay for my education as I worked full time to do it. No silver spoon in my drawer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or