U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2019, 04:07 PM

23 posts, read 10,159 times

Advertisements

I thought I would repost this in the correct thread:

I am currently looking for a new job as my contract expires in a month. I have applied to over 100+ jobs in the past 3 days and have gotten 6 rejections and 2 interviews. I don't know if its my experience, the jobs I am applying to or my lack of education. I work in IT and it is known that there is always a high demand for IT personnel, whether it be in security, networking, management or support. I KNOW I am doing something wrong because when I applied for my current job 4 years ago I got the job after 2 weeks I applied for it and during the same time I would get 2-3 interviews a day and for the 40 jobs I applied to I got responses from 25-30 of them. The rest were rejections.

I have attached my resume for review here: Hopeless....

Any assistance or advice would be appreciated. Perhaps I am just applying in quantity without looking at the specific job requirements and not tailoring my resume to each job, or I lack a degree or I have been in the same position for the past 3.5 years. Perhaps I am not relaying my achievements or job description in detail. I don't know but please give me your feedback I am losing my mind here! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 06:36 PM

2,451 posts, read 697,327 times
Your resume is too general.

What exactly are you doing? Your resume comes across as a "jack of all trades master of none"

Software testing: Manual QA is a dead end street. Unless you have years of automation, you're going to stay out of work. That's probably what keeps your resume in the dust bin.

Network admin? You need to put more verbiage that deals with your network expertise.

IT Trainer? Then you need to put trainer stuff in your roles.

If all 3 then you need 3 different resumes - one for QA, one for Network Admin, one for IT trainer. Each emphasizing the key skillsets for each role.
Then apply to the respective jobs with the respective resumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or