U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2019, 10:45 AM
 
1,401 posts, read 769,373 times
Reputation: 1661

Advertisements

I assume I shouldn't. I just worry that my message got missed or didn't go through lol, which is doubtful.


They responded to my application saying they liked my background but wanted to know my salary requirement so we could proceed.


I already realize I messed up my response. i gave the range i was looking for but i think i should have said what my current salary is and then say i'm flexible. But that's besides the point....


I have not heard back after giving them my range. Do I assume I'm out of the range of what they want to pay? or do I follow up asking if I'm out of the range??


I wish they would respond either way so I'm not left wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2019, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,580 posts, read 17,553,447 times
Reputation: 27640
Your requirement was too high and were rejected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2019, 11:56 AM
 
4,069 posts, read 5,466,629 times
Reputation: 4920
As soon as I mentioned salary range in the last HR screen, they ended the call quick. The application status was changed to "No longer under consideration". It's clear that that salary was the deal breaker. I am not interested in a salary cut, so I am happy about it.

If you want less money, you have to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2019, 12:43 PM
 
1,401 posts, read 769,373 times
Reputation: 1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
As soon as I mentioned salary range in the last HR screen, they ended the call quick. The application status was changed to "No longer under consideration". It's clear that that salary was the deal breaker. I am not interested in a salary cut, so I am happy about it.

If you want less money, you have to be honest.

Yeah, i'm happy they asked before the interview for sure. I would hate to waste my time (and their's) if its less pay.


I just wish they would respond saying that they are no longer considering me. It's totally fine, i just want to know, rather than sitting here wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2019, 12:45 PM
 
1,401 posts, read 769,373 times
Reputation: 1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Your requirement was too high and were rejected.

I wish they would tell me that though. Instead I just got no response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2019, 07:25 PM
 
2,419 posts, read 689,094 times
Reputation: 3398
When the topic of salary comes up, you should ask them what their range is, and see the response.

* If they demand your numbers while refusing to tell you theirs, they're power tripping. Walk away, they're not worth working for.

* If they say they don't have a range, they're lying. Walk away, they're not worth working for.

* If they give you a range and the range is below market: Walk away, they're not worth working for.

* If they give you a range and the range is acceptable, put your range within that and the salary issue is resolved. You can move forward with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 10:15 AM
 
1,401 posts, read 769,373 times
Reputation: 1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
When the topic of salary comes up, you should ask them what their range is, and see the response.

* If they demand your numbers while refusing to tell you theirs, they're power tripping. Walk away, they're not worth working for.

* If they say they don't have a range, they're lying. Walk away, they're not worth working for.

* If they give you a range and the range is below market: Walk away, they're not worth working for.

* If they give you a range and the range is acceptable, put your range within that and the salary issue is resolved. You can move forward with them.

I understand.


What i'm asking is if i gave them my range and they don't respond, should i follow up? or just let it be and assume i'm too high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 11:27 AM
 
1,859 posts, read 715,844 times
Reputation: 3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
I understand.


What i'm asking is if i gave them my range and they don't respond, should i follow up? or just let it be and assume i'm too high?
I would suggest just moving on. Companies ghost job applicants all the time so it's just rudeness. It is very likely that they don't want to pay you in the range you indicated. They need to save a few bucks on labor costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 06:33 PM
 
2,419 posts, read 689,094 times
Reputation: 3398
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
What i'm asking is if i gave them my range and they don't respond, should i follow up? or just let it be and assume i'm too high?
It is clear they rejected you based on salary. If your salary requirements are within market range, then they are trying to lowball their candidates.

They are lowballers and not worth working for. Move on.

There are employers who do fishing expeditions. "What do you mean we have not found anyone willing to work for 2009 salaries? Keep fishing!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 06:51 PM
 
528 posts, read 618,780 times
Reputation: 780
Low budgeted position and/or crappy invested department with the company. Going with the lowest paid. It happens. Better companies out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top