Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 08:30 PM

203 posts, read 108,452 times

Advertisements

So I was contacted by a recruiter on monday evening for a job i applied to. She set up a phone screen for me with the hiring manager on Tuesday. The call went well, he said he wanted to move forward with next steps which would be meeting with more team members (remote because they are in another location) and I'd to do a project using their product (ugh). After we got off the phone recruiter emailed me about 2 hours later saying he enjoyed our conversation and wanted to set up the next interview. She asked for my availability as soon as the next day. Seeing how i had to do the project thing i opted for today. I spent most of last night doing the project. I had never used their product before so what I did was nothing fancy.

I had the video call today with 3 dudes. They were nice, asked a lot of questions, asked to see my projects, but we really didnt spend a lot of time going over what i did. I didnt know whether to feel relieved or annoyed.

Call lasted 45 min (was scheduled for 60). At the end he said the recruiter would be in touch with next steps. To me that didn't feel great...I did send the recruiter a thank you, heard nothing back.

I just dont think I interview well. I'm on the quiet side...i get contacted a lot for phone screens so i guess my experience is good. I wish i could know what i am doing wrong on interviews. I feel like im polite, professional, do my best to seem excited without seeming desperate. Even on the call today the hiring manager told me, great example to a an example of a question he asked.

It could be i'm just not as good as whoever the other candidates are. I'm 40...i think that might be what it is. If others are in their 30's or even 20s why would they pick a 40 year old? My experience maybe isnt much better than theirs.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-09-2019 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 06:28 AM

4,968 posts, read 2,711,215 times
You seem to be doing everything right. Good credentials, good knowledge, good attitude. But you are 40, and I think that is the problem. Age discrimination is alive and well, especially since many employers like to hire young and cheap. I think that there are too many job applicants that are younger than you for the positions that you are applying for.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:36 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBridge781 View Post
and I'd to do a project using their product (ugh).
I'm wondering what this project entails.

There are lots of unethical companies "looking for candidates" who ask to do free work for them and oops, the job offer never materializes for some reason.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lizryan.../#5cd5521e49b9

Old 03-08-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
I'm wondering what this project entails.

There are lots of unethical companies "looking for candidates" who ask to do free work for them and oops, the job offer never materializes for some reason.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lizryan.../#5cd5521e49b9
This certainly does seem to be a possibility, since the interviewers weren't interested in going over that sample project with the OP. It depends on the project, but the interviewers could have asked the OP plenty of questions about it to determine his understanding of it and help verify that it was he that did the work and not someone else.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:10 AM

I am not sure what they would do with the project i did but I am finding more and more that there are tests or projects they want candidates to complete. I was told for the project I could come up with any idea they just wanted to see how i used their product. I am not sure how it related to the job really. In the end it was a waste of a wednesday evening probably.

I'm pretty discouraged. 40 isn't old...i'm going to be alive for another 50 years probably based on my family history. But it is tough to compete with younger people for the same jobs. I'm not sure how much longer i can continue to interview for while holding down a full time job and a family. I have to leave my job today to go on a 3 hour interview...and i left early a day last week for an interview also.

I'm happy that i'm getting calls an interest but it's difficult in that i have researched so many companies to be prepared for calls. It isnt easy doing all this background research when i have so many other things to do. But i want a new job.

I envy people who see a job they want, apply for it and get it. That just doesnt happen in my world.

Old 03-08-2019, 04:00 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
You seem to be doing everything right. Good credentials, good knowledge, good attitude. But you are 40, and I think that is the problem. Age discrimination is alive and well, especially since many employers like to hire young and cheap. I think that there are too many job applicants that are younger than you for the positions that you are applying for.
My question is how they are determining age. By years of experience, appearance or LinkedIN profile? Need to know as I'm approaching mid 30's and so this will be a key issue soon for me

Old 03-08-2019, 04:01 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBridge781 View Post
I envy people who see a job they want, apply for it and get it. That just doesnt happen in my world.
It may on TV - I have come across hundreds of top professionals in my field and it's no cake walk for them either. Maybe it is for some of our C-D middle managers however ...

Old 03-08-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
My question is how they are determining age. By years of experience, appearance or LinkedIN profile? Need to know as I'm approaching mid 30's and so this will be a key issue soon for me
It is very easy to determine a person's age by merely looking up the person's name on the Internet. Try looking yourself up and see what you discover. A lot of times, age is the first piece of information that is revealed by any cursory search.

Such as: Joe Doe, Age 54

Certainly years of experience, date of degree conferred or high school diploma can be used. Yes, a LinkedIn profile might also reveal a person's age within a ballpark range.

And then if you manage to make it to the interview stage, your physical appearance will give you away unless you happen to look young. It is virtually impossible to get away with hiding your real age from an inquisitive potential employer.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:03 AM

well i got a rejection note from the recruiter last night. It was a nice note. I have to say it was the easiest interview process ever. I had the email from her monday, had a call with hiring manager tuesday, went well and he scheduled me for a panel type interview with him and other teammates. They are apparently looking for someone with more technical experience. Who really knows...

Old 03-09-2019, 08:08 AM

Default Interview follow up

I had an interview yesterday where I met with 5 people. It seemed to go ok but I am not sure I want the job. I feel it might be too junior but I sooo want out of my current job. I'd had a phone screen with hiring manager last week and he asked for salary requirements and was just like, ok when i gave my response.

Yesterday salary did not come up at all which surprised me. Not even with the HR person who i met with. I was nervous to bring it up so i didnt.

The hiring manager was remote and he told me next steps would be meeting with someone else remotely because they're in another country. He said he and the group would be meeting on monday to discuss the interviews for me today.

I sent him a thank you note yesterday after the interview and he wrote back:

'My team and I really enjoyed our conversations with you. You and I didn't talk much about me managing the Boston team remotely. It's definitely not as easy as it would be if I worked in Boston, but we use video conferencing and Slack extensively, so it's the next best thing to being there.

Have a great weekend and I will be in touch on Monday or Tuesday.'

Felt positive but i'm sure there was someone of the 5 who will have something negative to say. I'm just not feeling that excited about this job. One thing that really got me down was that the hours would be 8-5. I work 9-5 now. I'm not looking for a job where i have to work more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search