Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 03:54 AM

669 posts, read 582,407 times

Advertisements

Good grief! The hoops and requirement wear me out! I don’t have the energy to comply......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 03:57 AM

1,063 posts, read 696,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
Good grief! The hoops and requirement wear me out! I don’t have the energy to comply......
Neither did I.

Hence, the dullards occupying those jobs

Old 07-10-2018, 05:21 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
State!? Try applying for FEDERAL job...geez the inanity of it all.

How some people I've seen with federal jobs made it through the process I'll never know.
Honest to G-d, it sometimes leaves me speechless.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:33 AM

It explains to me the mentality of “State Workers”. Rigid. Colors within the lines. No initiative. Unable to take on additional tasks if not in the job description. I am describing a new retiree friend who fits this profile.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:40 AM

^^ Oh but that's not what they say they want. If you think the private sector process is broken at some companies, try getting through a gov't process (at any level, city level is no better)

Old 07-10-2018, 06:29 AM

1,063 posts, read 696,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^ Oh but that's not what they say they want. If you think the private sector process is broken at some companies, try getting through a gov't process (at any level, city level is no better)
That's exactly why I said "Nope" to Govt jobs. Not like my parents era. No longer secure and even more dysfunctional than Private sector.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:33 AM

Private or Public sector...it's a game you have to -- or should I say most people choose to -- play.

I wish I did have an entrepreneurial spirit. But a person never works as hard in their life -- as when they build their own business. At the right salary and benefits level, I'm perfectly content to work for someone else.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,579 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
Then you probably don't have the energy to do the job. The two public agency employers I have worked for both had some elaborate application processes, but turned out to be well worth the effort, as I spent 17 years at one with 5 promotions, 9 years now at the 2nd with two promotions. Contrary to the popular

notion, most of us work hard and earn our pay and benefits. The main difference is that I have been at agencies that do not depend solely upon tax revenue. Run more like the private sector, with incentives and performance based raises, the public utility, airports and the like are dependent upon skilled people and good work ethic to maintain their revenue.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:50 AM

^^ Oh, getting a gov't job IS worth it. Aggravating. Frustrating. Even infuriating. But worth it. To me, the application process is a shame.

But, whether public or private...
-- anytime an employer only asks personality questions, and doesn't focus more on actual skills and experience....
-- any time you ask the same questions of ALL applicants regardless of experience....because someone somewhere decided THAT is what' makes the interview process "fair"....
.....to me, that is a ridiculous system.

(As for personality questions, I know assessing if a person will "fit in" is important, but not at the exclusion of -- what's the old phrase -- knowledge, skills and abilities. And asking about things that have nothing to do with the job at hand -- and the "tell me about a time when you....." Really? THAT is the interview process?

Like I said.......frustrating, but worth it. And ultimately, the bottom line is -- whether public or private, if they've got the job and you want it, you have to do what they say, play the game, jump through their hoops to get it.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Then you probably don't have the energy to do the job. The two public agency employers I have worked for both had some elaborate application processes, but turned out to be well worth the effort, as I spent 17 years at one with 5 promotions, 9 years now at the 2nd with two promotions. Contrary to the popular

notion, most of us work hard and earn our pay and benefits. The main difference is that I have been at agencies that do not depend solely upon tax revenue. Run more like the private sector, with incentives and performance based raises, the public utility, airports and the like are dependent upon skilled people and good work ethic to maintain their revenue.
Obviously you don’t know me......but thanks for the input.

What strangles the process is that they dont accept emailed applications etc. one has to snail mail the info to them. I am only 30 mins from their offices but I doubt that dropping in is acceptable. I have been “commission only “. for over 20years ..making a great income..(6 figures) I am just ready to get off of the road....i see myself working another 5-7 years then retire.......the jobs will be a pay cut but the commute would be heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search