U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2019, 02:24 AM
HN3 HN3 started this thread

15 posts, read 3,049 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking into substitute teaching for a part-time job in SF Bay Area. I want to be able to choose the day I work.

From my job search, I see that there are substitute agencies that will supply subs for schools. Or, I can apply for the school district substitute pool.

My questions for those who know:

1. Can you work for more than one substitute agencies? Are there restrictions in their contract?

2. Can you work for more than one school district substitute teaching pools?

3. Cons and pros of working for a school district vs substitute agency

Thank you very much for your time and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 11:48 AM

1,871 posts, read 723,657 times
I am a substitute teacher in South Texas.

You can work for more than one agency or school district. Some agencies require that you work a minimum of a couple days a week for them. School districts normally don't care how many days a week you put in with them.

I have found no real difference working for either an agency or school district. It is very similar.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:00 PM

@BusinessManIT

Thanks for replying.

Based on your experience, would you recommend I get TB clearance and fingerprinted before I apply or wait until after I applied. One agency states that they would pay for both.

Thanks again.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN3 View Post
@BusinessManIT

Thanks for replying.

Based on your experience, would you recommend I get TB clearance and fingerprinted before I apply or wait until after I applied. One agency states that they would pay for both.

Thanks again.
I suggest waiting until after you apply. The agency may pay and they may have some preferred places to get fingerprinted. When I applied and was accepted they told me specifically where to go to get fingerprinted. As for the TB test, you can go to any clinic.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:47 PM

2,477 posts, read 706,691 times
Cons of working in SF: horrific cost of living.

You're not going to make much as a substitute, not enough to pay the bills.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Cons of working in SF: horrific cost of living.

You're not going to make much as a substitute, not enough to pay the bills.
Correct, substitute teaching does not pay a living wage. That is one reason why there are plenty of jobs in that field. But it is a good job to have if you are a retiree with other income streams, or where your spouse is the breadwinner and you are just earning extra cash.

It is also a good job to get for aspiring teachers who may want to sub first to get some experience in the classroom with students, and get to mingle with other teachers and principals. They can observe and see if becoming a certified teacher is something that they would be interested in before investing time, money, and energy to become one.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
It is also a good job to get for aspiring teachers who may want to sub first to get some experience in the classroom with students, and get to mingle with other teachers and principals. They can observe and see if becoming a certified teacher is something that they would be interested in before investing time, money, and energy to become one.
For these, it is a good idea to go to a lower COL state, such as Arizona, because entry level teacher jobs don't pay well.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:42 PM

Thank you to those who replied.

I have applied to one district and one substitute agency for substitute positions.

Follow-up question for those who work or have worked as substitute teachers, specifically in state of CA (as rules may be different in other states).

I have a single subject credential (K-12) and want to work as a substitute teacher. I had taught in a high school setting and subbed for teachers at my school. I have not worked with lower grades that I can remember.

The sub agency lists schools with subs for pre-school, kindergarden, elementary, and paraeducators AND subject areas that I am not credentialed for.

Questions:

1. Can I take substitute jobs for subject areas that I am not credentialed for?

2. What does a para-educator do?

3. How is it (hard or easy) to substitute for a kindergarden and elementary class?

4. How is it (hard or easy) to sub for a class in a subject that you do not know?

Thank you for your time and help.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:57 PM

I would ask you how (hard or easy) is it for you to consider a lower COL area so you don't go bankrupt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or