U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 06:56 PM

1,550 posts, read 404,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post

I am still unemployed. I already accepted one of the 4 offers, but I still have to go through the drug screen, background check, photo for ID badge, etc. Start date is in a few weeks.
Congratulations! How it works out for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
20 years experience = you're an older person, so the age discrimination is a risk of hitting.

You can try asking for the high part of the range, but that risks you getting rejected in favor of someone taking a lower range.
There is always someone willing to work for less money, so there is nothing you can do about that. Since the OP got an inquiry from the hiring manager to apply, that makes this a different situation. He likely isn't shopping only on price.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:36 PM

545 posts, read 624,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
You'll never get more than you ask for. Also, while HR 'handles' the negotiation, they don't make the final decisions. Did you inform the hiring manager of your expectations?

When money/benefits comes up, consider this approach: "I'm making $75K now for about 30-hours work ... and, as much as I'm really excited about and want this job, I'm sure you can understand my preference to not to take a step backward - especially with 20-years experience." -- That will give you the flexibility to compromise on benefits, but, they may offer you the full package +.
OP, just read that post. It's all the advice you need. Get paid and enjoy life. Good luck.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:34 AM

827 posts, read 216,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
There is always someone willing to work for less money, so there is nothing you can do about that. Since the OP got an inquiry from the hiring manager to apply, that makes this a different situation. He likely isn't shopping only on price.
Exactly, she is a known performer and not actively looking. She's in the catbird seat.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:37 PM

2,219 posts, read 936,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
Sorry, I should have worded it better. If that is the range, are employers generally ever expecting to pay the highest amount?
No, employers are never expected to start someone at the top of the pay scale. Where do you go from there? In most companies, once you are at the top of the scale the only way to increase your salary is either via promotion or some type of bonus payment.
If by offering you a full benefits package you come out ahead of what you’re currently earning, it might be a good opportunity. Just remember though that you will be working more hours for close to the same pay. What is the luxury of working from home really worth to you?

Old 03-15-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
No, employers are never expected to start someone at the top of the pay scale. Where do you go from there? In most companies, once you are at the top of the scale the only way to increase your salary is either via promotion or some type of bonus payment.
You are mixing up a current pay scale range for a specific position with a long-term career path. Those are two different things. If a job posted today has a range of $X-$Y, that's their budget range for that position now. This doesn't mean they start you at $X and some day you will get to $Y. $Y is not a stopping point of the future of this position. If you have the skills, experience and there is a small talent pool, then you more likely can begin at $Y or more.

People stay in the same position for years and continue to get raises and other compensation like bonuses and stock options. They don't have to be promoted to increase their base salary outside of the time they were originally hired.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:02 AM

6,859 posts, read 3,727,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
You'll never get more than you ask for. Also, while HR 'handles' the negotiation, they don't make the final decisions. Did you inform the hiring manager of your expectations?
A few years ago one of our employees interviewed in another city. When they stated their salary requirements the interviewer told them they were undervaluing themselves and made them an offer $20K over what they asked for. Naturally they accepted.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:04 AM

1,226 posts, read 524,655 times
Simply tell them 75k is the minimum you will take because thats what you are making right now.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
A few years ago one of our employees interviewed in another city. When they stated their salary requirements the interviewer told them they were undervaluing themselves and made them an offer $20K over what they asked for. Naturally they accepted.
Those are rare circumstances. Even still, this person could have gotten more if they did their homework and realized their value. I have a friend who worked in IT for colleges for many years. They had a layoff, and he put his resume out there and got a call from a contract house (aka staffing firm) for a good job. She asked him what his W2 hourly rate which he gave, and she said "We can do better than that" and increased it by $5.00 an hour. He simply didn't know what he was worth after having been underpaid by the University all those years. That assignment lasted 6 months, and for the next one after he understood his worth got an additional $15.00 an hour.

We can't forget that recruiters are evaluated by the number of offers accepted. If they have been contacting everyone they can 8 hours a day for a week to fill a job, and you are a good match, they don't want the competition to grab you.

Asking for too little money sends a signal that something is wrong with you. I've seen people dropped from consideration when they asked for very little. Did the employer miss out on a great employee? Maybe, but it certainly demonstrated they weren't resourceful. It isn't that difficult with a little bit of effort to find out.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:13 AM

71 posts, read 65,272 times
Never sell yourself short when you have the experience and credentials.

When offered a range of x to y, I always say y is my starting point. If they want you, they'll pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or