Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 09:02 AM

566 posts, read 573,661 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of interviewing for a position that I was asked to apply for by the person hiring for it. The salary range is 60-75k, full time, 42.5 hours a week, with full benefits. I have almost 20 years of experience in my field, doing a wide range of things they are looking for, with the highest level of education preferred for the position from a top school. I currently make just under 75k doing contract work from home but that only takes me about 30 hours a week. Can I expect to be able to negotiate up to that top number? This would be an excellent career move for me, but my husband recently took a large pay cut so we could relocate and have a better family life balance. We have a large family, and I'm not willing to lose the convenience of working from home as well as income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 09:06 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
You can certainly try to negotiate, but you should not expect anything. Every employer has their own way of doing things.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:12 AM

566 posts, read 573,661 times
Sorry, I should have worded it better. If that is the range, are employers generally ever expecting to pay the highest amount?

Old 03-14-2019, 10:45 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
Sorry, I should have worded it better. If that is the range, are employers generally ever expecting to pay the highest amount?
How did you get that range number for the position? Did the hiring manager or HR in the company give that to you? Or was it posted with the job description?

Given your experience and current salary, I would ask for $75K, if that is acceptable to you. Always ask for the higher number, because they will always try to lower the number, but they won't raise it.

You said contract, is this a W2 contract?

Does this prospective job have other compensation other than the base salary, such as a bonus?

Old 03-14-2019, 10:50 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times
Quote:
I am in the process of interviewing for a position that I was asked to apply for by the person hiring for it. The salary range is 60-75k, full time, 42.5 hours a week, with full benefits. I have almost 20 years of experience in my field, doing a wide range of things they are looking for, with the highest level of education preferred for the position from a top school. I currently make just under 75k doing contract work from home but that only takes me about 30 hours a week. Can I expect to be able to negotiate up to that top number? This would be an excellent career move for me, but my husband recently took a large pay cut so we could relocate and have a better family life balance. We have a large family, and I'm not willing to lose the convenience of working from home as well as income.
In general if someone from HR gives you a range, they are hoping to pay somewhere in the middle of that range or a little higher. But there are circumstances where they will go to the higher end of the range. As always, you have to ask for what you want.

In your example, if someone only has a couple of years experience, they can't expect the higher end of the range.

Just curious, how did they come up with 42.5 hours a week? Is this a private sector job?

Old 03-14-2019, 11:10 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
In that case I would say no, they are generally not expecting to pay at the top of the range, nor do they generally need to, but I have seen it happen in order to hire the person they really wanted for the position.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:19 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
Even if you could get the top of the range, why you would want to work an extra 12.5 hours a week for the same amount of money?

Old 03-14-2019, 11:28 AM

3,144 posts, read 1,601,500 times
I am assuming you are a 1099 contractor and paying full social security taxes at the self-employment rate so in valuing compensation it may not be apples to apples; not to mention other benefits, if of value to you.

You can certainly request the top of the range but you may get asked if you are flexible. Your experience and education may justify the top of the range. The main issue is whether there are employees in the job classification and how their salaries compare given comparable experience. Many employers are concerned about internal equity and will not pay a salary that exceeds the peer group unless there is sufficient justification.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:33 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
You'll never get more than you ask for. Also, while HR 'handles' the negotiation, they don't make the final decisions. Did you inform the hiring manager of your expectations?

When money/benefits comes up, consider this approach: "I'm making $75K now for about 30-hours work ... and, as much as I'm really excited about and want this job, I'm sure you can understand my preference to not to take a step backward - especially with 20-years experience." -- That will give you the flexibility to compromise on benefits, but, they may offer you the full package +.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:37 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Quote:
The recruiters will often need executive approval to above the mid range. For that approval, they need provide a justification such as a competing offer.

Line up a 2nd job offer for $71-72k, and they will come out at $73-74k to beat it.

If you get 2-3 offers it's even easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search