Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 01:48 PM

538 posts, read 385,510 times

Advertisements

Company and school names and locations taken out. Also I have a few college courses from 1995, should I add that without dates or leave it off?

OBJECTIVE
To obtain a position that utilizes my customer service, sales support, data entry and managerial skills in a fast-paced environment, which allows for continuous learning and growth in the position.

SKILLS PROFILE
• Proficient in Microsoft office, Internet, and Email
• Excellent customer service and telephone etiquette in a high volume call center
• General office skills such as filing, organization, faxing and mailroom
• Travel arrangements and event planning
• Able to work in a team environment or autonomously with little or no supervision

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY

Purchasing 2014-Present

• Entering on an average 50 orders per day in timely manner
• Running reports on all orders placed and confirming status with vendors.
• Work with sales team and vendors for expediting and order changes.
• Interacted daily with vendors and the Anixter sales team to ensure proper order placement
• Revising and reviewing orders in order to avoid discrepancies

Customer Service/Data Entry 2012 – 2014

• Provided quotes for outside sales reps to present to customers.
• Entered Purchase Orders for computer software through the GE system as well as our order
entry system
• Kept track of the shipping of all orders to verify they were shipped in a timely manner and
research information on orders that are on credit hold
• Ordering office and kitchen supplies and keeping inventory
• Organized training classes including signing the customer up through our website, sending
confirmation letters, ordering training books and supplies.

Researcher/Product Consultant 2003 - 2012

• Research and locate hard to find products not currently offered by our company
using sales representatives, vendors and internet searches.
• Meeting and exceeding company revenue goals while offering products within a
customer’s budget.
• Worked overtime as needed in order to maintain customer satisfaction s.

Trip Coordinator 1998 -2003

• Organized group tours for up to 100 travelers, which entailed booking flight arrangements,
ground transfers, hotel stays and daily excursions.
• Established relationships with vendors in order to keep profit margins within budget.
• Worked closely with outside sales team to effectively execute contracts to the satisfaction
of our clients.

EDUCATION

Career Development Certificate
Travel Academy & Hotel School

Diploma
High School

Last edited by Adriank7; 12-10-2018 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 01:54 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
"Diploma - High School" should be removed.

I would also advise removing that you're proficient in email and internet. Who isn't?

Also I'm noticing you're mixing up present and past tense throughout many of the same jobs. For example, under "Researcher/Product Consultant" you state "Research....." "Meeting......" and then go past tense and state "Worked.....". Need to keep those all past tense other than your current role.

You also talk about managerial skills yet I see no manager roles.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:57 PM

Right because my managerial role was from a retail store and I left that odd since it’s more than 20 years old.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:58 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
Main thing is you should add the places and dates and titles of the places you were employed. Doesn't need be shown on this post, but add them. Otherwise the whole resume could have been made up. As a prospective employer it doesn't tell me anything exept you can prepare a resume or someone else can prepare it for you. There's no work history here. Just a list of positions you could have had for years, or months, or never. No indication of the types of companies you worked for, and for how long.

Otherwise, overall good. I'd eliminate last sentence "able to work.." in Skills.

I'd eliminate last sentence "worked overtime..." in Researcher.

I'd eliminate last sentence "worked closely .." in Trip coordinator.

These items are a given and the fact that you think they are worthy of notice detracts from your resume.

I'd give details on your Schooling ... diploma from XYZ High, XYZ city, state, dates attended.
Same with Travel Academy and hotel school. Shows advanced education past high school. I'd eliminate the Career development certificate. If you have college courses add those with the name of the college and dates attended.

Good luck.

Last edited by bobspez; 12-10-2018 at 02:08 PM..

Old 12-10-2018, 02:02 PM

Should I add the classes I took in college? There were only 3.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Main thing is you should add the places and dates and titles of the places you were employed. (Doesn't need tbe shown on this post, but add them. Otherwise the whole resume could have been made up.
They’re on there. Taken off here to not disclose info.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:05 PM

I thought I shouldn’t add any school dates as it would reveal my age?

Old 12-10-2018, 02:14 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
You can't hide your age. Hiding anything on a resume looks shady. My daughter is in her 40's and does well on job intervews. It's all about how you present yourself at the interview, your personality, your honesty. I don't think age discrimination is what it was in the past. Employers are realizing older workers have as much to offer as younger ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
I thought I shouldn’t add any school dates as it would reveal my age?

Old 12-10-2018, 02:34 PM

So many people told me to keep the school dates off.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:42 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Just my .02.

Remove objective. You don't really need that anymore - or it often just states the obvious. It's more of a professional summary today. Your elevator speech.

The skills profile isn't really what you have down. Some of these you can add to your professional summary. For skills, I'd avoid anything that is subjective (great at, excellent in, etc.). Honestly, what you have there is pretty much everything a competent worker should have at minimum. MS Office is okay. But you want to put specific skills here. Do you work with a specific purchasing software? What disciplines are you good at like purchasing, customer relationship, etc. One thing you may want to do is put things here that the job ad is looking for (if it actually aligns with what you do). e.g. the ad may say, must be experienced in purchasing logistics. If you have managed purchasing for a company - from quotation to payment, then you would include that in this section. Just be sure to back it up in your experience section.

Experience - concentrate on accomplishments. A lot of what you have are more role description. Meaning what you listed would likely apply to anyone with those titles, right? So... what makes you special/different? Is entering 50 orders a day above average? If so, I'd point that out like "20% above average in orders entered" (made up the % of course).

No need to put dates on schools. If they really need to verify that, it'll be asked on the actual application. And I wouldn't even put anything under education unless you have an actual degree or the certificates are relevant to the job. Again, no offense, but is "career development certificate" something that helps with a customer service role?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search