U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 02:47 PM

3,558 posts, read 6,178,026 times

Advertisements

This seems to be a theme with my husband in his job search. Recently (Friday) he was contacted by a recruiter about a job in another state. The recruiter requested to talk to him Friday during his lunch hour. My husband told him he needs a 15 min window (the recruiter wanted to talk at 12:30 and my husband notified him if he has a client he would call him back with in 15 mins of the recruiters call) and the recruiter agreed that was fine. He called on the dot 12:30 and low and behold my husband was stuck on the phone with a difficult client. He called him back 6 minutes after the call and no answer. He emailed him letting him know he was now available (still within the window they agreed on).. no answer. My husband called him back again when he got off of work. No answer.. This morning the recruiter connects with my husband on LinkedIn and my husband messages him.... ignores the message even though he connected with him not 1 minute before.

This is not the first time recruiters have done this. One even went so far as to get my husband ready to interview after telling him pay, benefits etc and never contacted him again. No way to contact them either or get their superior information. He would REALLY like to find this guys supervisor information too. This is a really aggravating situation that we keep running into. They're with major financial institutions too and its really putting a sour taste in his mouth. Anyone else run into this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 02:52 PM

2,075 posts, read 601,920 times
Where is the recruiter from? If from a 2nd world country you got your answer. They are contacting HUNDREDS of people for jobs than only a handful qualify, because they have no clue what they are doing.

What is your husband's industry?

These happen with major F500s. Goldman Sachs reached out to me via a Uzbekistanian recruiter not even located in the U.S. Sending me an e-mail 2am EST via LinkedIN. American Express reached out with a Belizean recruiter with broken English. They are just spamming where to apply no additional information or insight provided about the role/salary/etc. No screening either because I've consulted GS before and there are special considerations for past contractors. There is NO quality control AT ALL. They are paying some guy named Ahmed $5 a week to send out e-mail blasts to a group which is 99% unqualified for the role.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:58 PM

3,558 posts, read 6,178,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Where is the recruiter from? If from a 2nd world country you got your answer. They are contacting HUNDREDS of people for jobs than only a handful qualify, because they have no clue what they are doing.

What is your husband's industry?

These happen with major F500s. Goldman Sachs reached out to me via a Uzbekistanian recruiter not even located in the U.S. Sending me an e-mail 2am EST via LinkedIN. American Express reached out with a Belizean recruiter with broken English. They are just spamming where to apply no additional information or insight provided about the role/salary/etc. No screening either because I've consulted GS before and there are special considerations for past contractors. There is NO quality control AT ALL. They are paying some guy named Ahmed $5 a week to send out e-mail blasts to a group which is 99% unqualified for the role.
We are in the US. Itís major financial companies. This one was Great West but it also happen with TIAA. This guy was at the headquarters in Colorado. I donít think itís spam or anything. My husband put in the app and the HR reached out then just stopped contacting. Itís quite annoying.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:41 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 13 days ago)

9,553 posts, read 3,665,665 times
Recruiters will contact you once to ask for your references. Then once you give them names and phone numbers of your previous employers, they use those references as contacts to find jobs for other people and also keep that information in their database. In other words, yes, they'll contact someone one time just to pump them for valuable information.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:43 AM

646 posts, read 242,296 times
I've found quite a few annoyingly flaky recruiters in my last job search - even ones that are US-based. They seem to be very disorganized, but they're sure efficient at ghosting you. Or they're just gathering information.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:39 AM

662 posts, read 223,907 times
Recruiters...like school counselors....worthless imho

Old 03-27-2019, 01:26 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,146,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
This guy was at the headquarters in Colorado. ... HR reached out then just stopped contacting. Itís quite annoying.
Well, Colorado is weird. Did the recruiter ask your husband where is from? Many Coloradans are odd when it comes to people from out of state. There's a heavy pro-native, anti-transplant mentality in the state.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:43 AM

2,722 posts, read 4,797,045 times
I had one contact me Monday via email, we set up a time for a call the next day, she never called. I could care less. I don't have time for people like that. I have 4 others that are in constant contact with me, those are the people I want to work with.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:26 AM

15,028 posts, read 21,748,212 times
Yes! I really don’t get it. Recruiters I have had contact me are notoriously horrible. They’ll call all excited and then ghost you. Or message asking for an interview at a certain time and never call.

Infuriating.

Old 03-30-2019, 11:36 AM

2,075 posts, read 601,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Yes! I really donít get it. Recruiters I have had contact me are notoriously horrible. Theyíll call all excited and then ghost you. Or message asking for an interview at a certain time and never call.

Infuriating.
Outreach/Validation quota for their database is all I can think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or