U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 12:30 PM

633 posts, read 238,000 times

Advertisements

I trim my beard down for the interview, then depending on the atmosphere I'd let it grow back out once I get the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 09:49 PM

3,748 posts, read 1,363,656 times
I normally shave off my beard for a interview and have a nicely shaved goatee.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:13 AM

5,111 posts, read 2,309,561 times
Of course it depends on the job and environment. Expectations for a frame carpenter will be different than for an investment banker.

For a professional job in an office, I would say either present with neatly trimmed facial hair in a conservative pattern, or none at all. No weird sideburns, chin beards, strange goatees that make you look like the Devil. No waxed and twisted mustachios. Nothing that looks like last week's soup might still be lingering.

Definitely do not show up with the "four days unshaven" look. Even way back in 1982 it made everyone look like Yasser Arafat, not Don Johnson, and the look is not any better now than it was then. The chicks at the local singles bar may think it's the bees knees, but if you find yourself interviewing with a 55 year old ex Marine it may not go over so well.

And to add to that, if you do present with neatly trimmed facial hair in a conservative pattern, for drying out loud shave the non-hair parts of your face.

And while we're at it, get a decent hair cut the day or two before the interview. No man-buns, he-hives, bald guys with tiny thin little ponytails, bandeaus (on guys), mohawks, weird hair colors, etc., etc., etc. If you have any doubts about length, go shorter rather than longer. Sorry, but what works for the clerk at Whole Foods ain't gonna fly at the downtown law firm.

You will almost certainly never be looked down on if you show for an interview (again, professional job) wearing a neatly pressed PROPERLY FITTED dark blue or grey suit with a tie in a dark color and white shirt, haircut of moderate to short length in a standard style, either NEATLY TRIMMED conservative facial hair or no facial hair. Since anything deviating very far from this pattern carries the risk that someone on the interview team will dislike it, why do anything else? Your objective in a job interview should be to make sure that each member of the interview team has no reservations about hiring you. Because you are an imperfect human being, you won't be able to achieve that 100% anyway; why make it unnecessarily more difficult? It's just hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or