U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 05:55 AM

640 posts, read 295,113 times

Advertisements

It would be amazing to have an outstanding academic level of Masters and PhD degrees GPA 3.99, along with 5 languages spoken with fluidity, 10 years of experience in Fortune 500 companies, knowledge of +20 high-demanded software programs, top computing skills knowing 3 programming languages... why not having a brand new BMW, a mansion, lots of money...

But real life is not as amazing as that, and I am far from being a perfect candidate. I find really hard to achieve balanced skills between degrees, languages, experience, computing... I don't have time to excel in all of that! I wouldn't say I am a failure but still after my latest improvements I have weaknesses, too many. Reaching the level of Master's Degree in Chemical Engineering cost my kidneys. Having a Master's Degree in an engineering is a great accomplishment but still I don't have enough real experience (years) and is a big limiting factor. I would also want to learn more languages but between gaining experience and learning languages, it will cost me years and more years to achieve the level required for the good jobs, even for most decent or just acceptable "jobs".

I know that most people are also far from being the perfect candidate and they also may have their weaknesses. But what can you do when most jobs exceed what you can offer? How people overcome this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 11:13 AM

2,477 posts, read 708,263 times
OK, so what job are you looking for? If you're trying to be a chemical engineer, you really don't need foreign language skills, unless you plan on moving to a country that needs that foreign language.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
OK, so what job are you looking for? If you're trying to be a chemical engineer, you really don't need foreign language skills, unless you plan on moving to a country that needs that foreign language.
No problem, I can adapt to a variety of skilled jobs, even if I end up not working strictly as a Chemical Engineer, otherwise, I may be waiting years to get something. But I am worried nowadays most skilled jobs need several years of experience. That's my real problem and my great weakness.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:16 PM

10,071 posts, read 4,690,644 times
First things first, stop chasing degrees if you aren't pairing it with experience at the same time. The higher the degree is, the more experienced they expect and want. No one is hiring a Masters degree holder if they haven't mastered the subject. No one hires a doctor without the decade of training behind it.

Your example of a masters/Ph.D. wiith 10 years of experience; only people who have those are in their 40s/50s because they got the degrees later in life, not out of the gates of college at 20.

Experience comes at the cost of years, so does education. Most people pair lack of sleep with them so they can get both at the same time. School/work/minimal sleep over 4 or 5 years or do them separately over a decade.

You really need to decide if you still have the "time" left in you to wait out a decade doing it slowly or if you want to double up work experience. Work two jobs so you are exposed to things at twice the rate as working one job. So one year gets you 1.5 years experience (not quite 2x because you see same things at both places too). But this might cost you your family and health, that's the price you already paid by getting older and having family obligations that a 20 year old doesn't have in college.

If you choose working 2 jobs, or even 1 full time and 1 part time. Make sure the 2nd job is gaining you the experience you need for the 2nd/next job. Not doubling up twice on the same job at two different places. Even working the entry/bottom job at the 2nd place you gain more than what is listed as job duties if you keep eyes open.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:30 PM

6,901 posts, read 7,306,042 times
Quote:
Having a Master's Degree in an engineering is a great accomplishment but still I don't have enough real experience (years) and is a big limiting factor.
OK, sooo how many years experience DO you have?

Picking up on MLS' post above......you don't really make it clear what you really want to do.
Exactly what jobs ARE you looking for? where? and with what kind of companies?

How have your interviews gone? Do they tell you why you weren't picked, or just never get back to you?

Old 03-30-2019, 01:39 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,460,227 times
Nobody gets all the things you mentioned all at one. You focus on one or two things at a time. Some of these things just come over time. And not getting a job doesn't necessarily mean you weren't qualified enough for it or that they hired someone with all those amazing skills for that position. There are other factors that go into it as well.

As to your title question- you overcome your weaknesses by working on them or by focusing more on your strengths. Everyone has weaknesses.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:43 PM

And, by the way, your question, could be an interview question.
So you'd better have an answer for it in that situation as well.

Old 03-31-2019, 03:40 AM

I have around 3 years of work experience overall as Project/Process Engineer and Supply Chain Analyst. I only speak spanish and english.

I have been working 6 months under a fixed term contract (as Supply Chain Analyst) and studying the Master's Degree at the same time. The good news is that I finished the Master's Degree 2 weeks ago so I have plenty of time to search a new job.

I know there is a psychological issue here and is that I usually feel lower/less than other people, and that doesn't help much. What I want to do is very easy: unless I see a really good advantage, stop studying, I am more than happy with the Master's Degree level, just having a good/decent job as engineer, would be great as Process/Project Engineer but I am open to other positions, location is not a problem. As easy as I said, a job and a good life, that's all.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:12 AM

10,071 posts, read 4,690,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
What I want to do is very easy: unless I see a really good advantage, stop studying, I am more than happy with the Master's Degree level, just having a good/decent job as engineer, would be great as Process/Project Engineer but I am open to other positions, location is not a problem. As easy as I said, a job and a good life, that's all.
Hope you realize that what you want isn't easy. It is simple yes, but not easy. You want what everyone else wants, that competition means you are always fighting an uphill fight. Even if you make it to the top, you still keep fighting to stay there.

A "good" life isn't going to be handed to you

Old 03-31-2019, 11:39 AM

You seem to know what you want, and now that schooling is finished, just get about the business of getting it.
Network, apply, tell any- and everyone you know what type of gig you're looking for. Go to meet ups, industry events, etc. IF -- IF -- you feel that you need to build your contacts and experience you can volunteer in a related field. (Be clear, you're volunteering to get something tangible out it it. This isn't feel-good volunteering. This is just IF you feel you can't network any. other. way.)

Quote:
I know there is a psychological issue here and is that I usually feel lower/less than other people
That's an issue I can't help you with. And you'd better get over it if you want to succeed. Because while you're feeling "less than," the competition is out there achieving and getting things done. Getting jobs YOU were qualified for, but didn't apply for, because you where "feeling lower" than them. If you don't believe in you, who will?

Do you know how many people get jobs -- good jobs -- their dreams jobs -- that their NOT qualified for...just because of CONFIDENCE? They could SELL themselves. They convinced the hiring manager or interviewer they could do it......that they were the best fit for the job

So, get to step-in'. 'Cause while you're lallygagging .....the competition just got your job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or