U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 05:27 AM

76 posts, read 36,713 times

Advertisements

I had a stressful job which made me physically and mentally ill. I told my manager and employer and they ignored the situation and did nothing to resolve it. I was sacked as I had exhausted the sick leave. It was an unusual situation as I was always fit and healthy and had never had time off sick in previous jobs. I am applying for jobs now and found some job adverts request a reference from your previous employer. I believe that this would not help my application as they would not provide a reference or if they did they would make me look bad. I want to make a fresh start. The employer never even gave me my P45 which you receive to say you no longer work for the company which I chased up many times - this is the kind of employer they are ignoring things. What would be the best reason to refuse my previous employer as a reference if a new employer asks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 06:37 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,995,843 times
Contact your old HR office and see if they do anything other than provide dates of employment.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:28 AM

15,030 posts, read 21,753,522 times
Most jobs will call your former employer for a reference. I don't think there is any good reason to tell them they can't call your previous employer. That would immediately throw up a red flag.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:28 PM

9,266 posts, read 11,849,807 times
You mentioned the required P-45, are you in the UK?

Old 04-05-2019, 04:54 PM

1,596 posts, read 828,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Most jobs will call your former employer for a reference. I don't think there is any good reason to tell them they can't call your previous employer. That would immediately throw up a red flag.
I agree with this. Just put the contact info for someone in H/R, NOT your old boss. In my experience, the worst thing that happens is they only submit hire info, not the reference form. There really is nothing you can do about it - just depends on the new (potential) employer. Some just verify employment, they don't check references. Some want both, some don't do either (although, this is rare). You will be okay. Just don't leave the fields blank. Usually they will accept a certain number of references. For example, if they submit three and get back two of them, often that is enough.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:59 AM

1,386 posts, read 466,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace84 View Post
I had a stressful job which made me physically and mentally ill. I told my manager and employer and they ignored the situation and did nothing to resolve it. I was sacked as I had exhausted the sick leave. It was an unusual situation as I was always fit and healthy and had never had time off sick in previous jobs. I am applying for jobs now and found some job adverts request a reference from your previous employer. I believe that this would not help my application as they would not provide a reference or if they did they would make me look bad. I want to make a fresh start. The employer never even gave me my P45 which you receive to say you no longer work for the company which I chased up many times - this is the kind of employer they are ignoring things. What would be the best reason to refuse my previous employer as a reference if a new employer asks?

Not in the US, I take it.
If you submit a resume for new positions, you'd include employment within the last (X) years. You probably can't leave them off a resume if they were your last job. Not sure about outside the US but I think the practice of 'making someone look bad' has been frowned upon here in the US for some time now, so many employers give dates of employment and not much else, depending on the job. I have gone through background/security checks for my work, so they know everything about me, good and bad. I'm honest. If you're honest and don't try to hide a previous negative situation, I'd say that's a better approach to take.
Good luck.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:50 PM

7,157 posts, read 2,942,978 times
Quote:
Don't refuse it if they even ask for it. It gives the impression you are hiding something or are defensive about the work you did. When I am asked for a reference from a previous place of employment I usually satisfy it with a co-worker or a manager of another work group who knows my skills and expertise and is willing to give a balanced picture of me as an employee. Once in a while it might be a direct supervisor but not always.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:42 PM

557 posts, read 158,440 times
Quote:
I had a similar situation and actually walked out one day and didn't return. Going forward, I tried a couple of tactics and each worked as well as the other:

1. Total honesty. In my particular case, it was a job type and company which, when I was honest about it, the prospective employer was in agreement and said he would have done the same thing.

2. If you have remained friends with anyone from that position, or have someone who was on your side as more of a supervisor though not the "big boss" use them as the employer reference instead of even putting down the bosses name at all

Old 04-22-2019, 11:03 AM

38,022 posts, read 55,817,679 times
Well, OP could check it herself, but here we go:
References can include:

- basic facts about the job applicant, like employment dates and job descriptions
- answers to questions that the potential employer has specifically asked about the job applicant that are not usually given among the basic facts, such as absence levels and confirming the reason for leaving
- details about the job applicant's skills and abilities
- details about the job applicant's character, strengths and weaknesses relating to the suitability for the role they have applied for

Employment References - Acas Mobile

That alone, I suspect, will not show OP in the best light, but refusing reference would look even worse.
Hope OP level of skills, and good character would at least partially help her to get the job.

Good luck!
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:17 AM

4,662 posts, read 2,295,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
That alone, I suspect, will not show OP in the best light, but refusing reference would look even worse.
What about selecting "No" when they ask may we contact the current employer?

I don't care if they contact my former employers, but I really don't want them to contact my current one since I've only been there seven months but really want a different job. Will it hurt my chances if I say no but say yes to former employers? Has anyone gotten a job after saying "no" to current employer, but everything else came back fine in regards to former employer checks and past supervisor references?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or