U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 01:54 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,826 posts, read 33,233,153 times

Advertisements

How many times do we read threads in the W&E forum complaining about toxic coworkers or people with a poor work ethic? Seems to me that psychological screening tools are the way that employers can prevent themselves from hiring people who are toxic or who have a poor work ethic. They can uncover characteristics about people that aren't apparent in interviews.

I was once on a search committee that hired a toxic employee. The interview was great. The person seemed to everyone on the committee like a great hire. I wish my manager had had a psychology screen tool in his toolkit that would have given us the opportunity to detect the personality issues with this bad hire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 06:02 AM

8,818 posts, read 13,309,481 times
A psychologist isn't going to be able to ferret out a toxic coworker. You put too much faith in them. For one thing, one of the foundations of a psychological session, from my understanding, is that the subject trusts and opens up to the psychologist. That obviously isn't going to happen here as the subject has no expectation of privacy and is there unwillingly and not for their benefit.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:01 AM

2,677 posts, read 3,058,152 times
I gotta admit, this is so out there and yet, so interesting. I want to know what exactly they ask and how legal is it? I mean, if they can't even ask about your marital status, if you have children, etc, how does asking you about your childhood, friends, etc give any sort of answers? I mean, people see psychologists for years trying to heal themselves from past trauma but are still good people and good workers. Lame.

I personally would have told them why I withdrew. Maybe they are using a psychologist for a reason. I dunno, maybe it's me. I'd want to understand why they chose to use an actual psychologist; how badly did they get burned that it came down to that? Who decided this was a good idea. And best of all, as an HR Analyst myself, what's the ROI on it? Seriously, how many people withdraw at that stage or right after?

This is crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or