Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 06:04 AM

29 posts, read 36,155 times

Advertisements

I’ve been through two rounds of interviews for a data Analyst type time role and they said the next step is to sit down with a psychologist to ask me all types of work and personal questions. I already did an online assessment too. I understand having to do this for law enforcement, pilots, medical roles etc, but a corporate analyst position? They said they would ask me about my childhood, parents etc. Perhaps I’m out of line, but that seems like a major invasion of my privacy. I’ve worked for several major corporations and have never heard of having to do this. Have you done this for a job that would pay $60-70K at a corporation? I’m withdrawing my application today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 06:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have never experienced this, nor used it in hiring people. When they do, it's to determine whether or not you possess qualities that are difficult to tech and develop, such as extroversion, self-motivation, agreeableness, emotional stability, and interpersonal skills. If those are extremely important to the employer, I can see them using a psychologist. On the other hand, it may just be one more tool used to reduce the numbers of applicants. People like you drop out and they have fewer interviews to do. Employers want to hire people that want to work there, and obviously you didn't want their job that badly or would do what they asked.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have never experienced this, nor used it in hiring people. When they do, it's to determine whether or not you possess qualities that are difficult to tech and develop, such as extroversion, self-motivation, agreeableness, emotional stability, and interpersonal skills. If those are extremely important to the employer, I can see them using a psychologist. On the other hand, it may just be one more tool used to reduce the numbers of applicants. People like you drop out and they have fewer interviews to do. Employers want to hire people that want to work there, and obviously you didn't want their job that badly or would do what they asked.
True...but I have already been through 1 phone and 2 extentisive in person interviews. I am one of two final candidates. I was ready to accept an offer until they revealed this as part of the process. I just don’t believe it’s necessary for this type of position and see it as an invasion of privacy. As I mentioned, I’ve worked for some of the most respected employers in my city and I’ve never heard of this before unless it’s a job such as law enforcement, government, or the medical field. I had no problem with the online psychological assessment....but sitting down in person to ask me questions about my personal life is taking it a bit too far.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:52 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
It's crazy but if you need and/or want the job you should play by their rules.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It's crazy but if you need and/or want the job you should play by their rules.
I’m lucky in that I don’t need the job. They approached me. I was intrigued by the role and interested, but not if they require this. I just wanted to see how common this is in the corporate world since I’ve never seen it before.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:52 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit42 View Post
...they said the next step is to sit down with a psychologist to ask me all types of work and personal questions. I already did an online assessment too. ...They said they would ask me about my childhood, parents etc. ....I’m withdrawing my application today.
Good call. Best to run from this type of insanity. If people succumb, it will only mean more of this nonsense, and conditions worse for all. Some companies do go beyond commonly-accepted boundaries, and do take advantage of people.

There's a difference between being flexible and working on their terms, and compromising and bending over corporate-rape style.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:21 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Danger...

Danger will robinson!

Old 04-01-2019, 09:44 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Big red flag. The junk science psychometric exams are bad enough to actually send candidates to a shrink is way over the line. It is also kind of pointless, since there is no expectation of privacy with said psychologist noone is going to open up to them. Always amazed at how such stupid people become major decision makers at companies.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Big red flag. The junk science psychometric exams are bad enough to actually send candidates to a shrink is way over the line. It is also kind of pointless, since there is no expectation of privacy with said psychologist noone is going to open up to them. Always amazed at how such stupid people become major decision makers at companies.
Glad I’m not the only one that thinks this is weird and over the line.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:05 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,135,481 times
That approach is not only questionable, but the results can misinterpreted. It adds a layer of suspect interpretation that will not be challenged or reviewed by others. You can be left with a questionable "gatekeeper".

I've encountered my share of online examinations, also guarded by such gatekeepers, coming to conclusions that have no basis in reality as to my personality, skills, and motivations. To be blunt, they got "it very wrong".

The more companies believe in and want to use the latest tricks of the trade, the more likely they will misstep. Better to go with time-tested and traditional approaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search