U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2019, 05:33 PM

109 posts, read 38,652 times

Advertisements

I have a five year old Art History bachelor’s degree and due to many gaps and a lack of hard skills am finding it impossible to find a job. I am not good enough with customers for most entry level jobs and am too physically weak for labor. I also don’t really fit in with the blue collar types in most cases, not to stereotype them. I want to train for a job that is repetitive with specific goals to reach for the day and the ability to work relatively independently. Also I don’t want to interact with customers.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 10:20 PM

2,451 posts, read 697,327 times
Good luck with that.

There are no tech jobs that require no experience. You can get all the certs you want, but without experience, you're pretty much going to get results like this:

"Why is this art history major with no tech experience, applying for this tech job?" *ignores your certs and new education* *throws resume in trash*

Old 04-06-2019, 01:11 PM

11,142 posts, read 8,551,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post
I have a five year old Art History bachelorís degree and due to many gaps and a lack of hard skills am finding it impossible to find a job. I am not good enough with customers for most entry level jobs and am too physically weak for labor. I also donít really fit in with the blue collar types in most cases, not to stereotype them. I want to train for a job that is repetitive with specific goals to reach for the day and the ability to work relatively independently. Also I donít want to interact with customers.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
Can you work in tech? Yes.

Can you do it right away? Most likely not. It will take some time to angle yourself in that direction.

With your degree, you can get a job in some type of operations position in a large company. Then, once inside, you work your way across to an IT position. You will also need to get real, technical skills.

Old 04-06-2019, 02:50 PM

109 posts, read 38,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Can you work in tech? Yes.

Can you do it right away? Most likely not. It will take some time to angle yourself in that direction.

With your degree, you can get a job in some type of operations position in a large company. Then, once inside, you work your way across to an IT position. You will also need to get real, technical skills.
Hey, I mean like a technical certificate (phlebotomy, medical assistant, etc). I donít want to work in the tech sector. Sorry if this wasnít clear.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:38 PM

7,172 posts, read 2,942,978 times
Quote:
Hey, I mean like a technical certificate (phlebotomy, medical assistant, etc). I don’t want to work in the tech sector. Sorry if this wasn’t clear.
More confused. What do YOU mean by "tech"? Do you mean some sort of vocational certificate? There could be all sorts of "certificates" in different fields but many may not be worth more than the paper they are printed on. Thinking back to all the on-the-job trainings I took that handed me a certificate. Most mean nothing other than you sat through a class. They didn't make me employable without a demonstration that I had applied those skills on the job.

TBH at this point in your career I don't think you are in a position to be selective. You are going to have to put up with conditions you don't prefer and work your way out of them.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:23 PM

2,451 posts, read 697,327 times
Quote:
Hey, I mean like a technical certificate (phlebotomy, medical assistant, etc). I donít want to work in the tech sector. Sorry if this wasnít clear.
That's not tech, that's health care. Tech is software engineering.

Having said that, there are no entry level jobs, except sales or Mcjobs, that require no experience. Not even in health care. So unless your program has an actual internship and you can actually get a job after the internship, game over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search