Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 02:10 PM

1,104 posts, read 917,944 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to switch jobs right now and (stupidly) thought it would be pretty easy. My resume is well built and has some impressive names on it, so my strategy has been to target specific competitors in my industry as well as taking shots at anything in various related fields.

Damn it's hard! Out of 80 applications in 4 weeks, only one company has offered me an interview. An agency contacted me, talked to me in person for 5 minutes, and then never got back to me. So that's roughly 2.5%. Forgot how crazy it is out there!

The reason I'm asking specifically for percentages is that they give an idea of how aggressive you have to be, how many jobs you need to be applying to and directly tell what kind of time you need to be putting in to find jobs every day. In my previous jobsearches, I was unemployed and had lots of time, so would apply to hundreds of jobs every week, in my entire life, it would undoubtedly be thousands. My interview rate was something like 0.5-1%. What about you; how would you describe your experience as a percentage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 05:45 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,023,395 times
Keep in mind that I have not looked for a job in 7 years, so my info may be outdated.

As an experienced professional, my phone interview rate for targeted industry applications was about 90%. My in person, paid travel interview rate was about 60%. My offer rate was about 10%.

In a closely related, but not exact field, my success rate dropped in half.

In a larger field, with similar titles, but a different focus, my phone interview rate was less than 1%, everything else was 0.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:17 PM

12,776 posts, read 8,987,507 times
I am not a super job hunter and the last job search was about 12 years ago so this may not be current. I didn't keep actual statistics, but I'd say my interview rate was about 10%, give or take, and my job offer rate about 4%.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:38 PM

615 posts, read 664,506 times
0% success rate since I'm still unemployed, but not counted by the gov as unemployed.

I have a 13.8% hit rate. Since 2018, I've applied to 29 companies. One company interviewed me twice without an initial phone screen. Two other interviews were screens. One interview invite I did not respond to.

In one of the two screens, I began to realize through talking with him I didn't even want to do the work for that company and the interviewer was just as inexperienced at interviewing as I am in being interviewed. They also hid what programming language they used from the job ad.

The second phone screen was said to be an interview. I was tired, had 5 hours of sleep and didn't do a very good job. I can't count myself out for another month as that is when they will be making a hiring decision.

The longer you go unemployed the less responses you get. When applying out of your area there is even less responses. It is a double whammy.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:12 PM

1,104 posts, read 917,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z06 View Post
The longer you go unemployed the less responses you get. When applying out of your area there is even less responses. It is a double whammy.
That really sucks. Keep trying and stay competitive!

Old 04-21-2019, 12:35 PM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,691,970 times
I had job searches in 1993, 1997, 2001 and 2017. In 1993, the job came looking for me. So I was one for zero. In 1997, I put out one application and it resulted in an offer I took. Same deal in 2001. In 2017, things were a lot different. Of course, to be fair, I was now an "older worker". The difference was incredible. 103 resumes, 3 interviews, only 1 offer.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:46 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,094,113 times
This conversation, and the personal experiences told here, are why I marvel when people say, in various circumstances, "just find another job"...... as if most jobs that pay well -- and that a person would take, to leave another job, are just out there to be easily grasped.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:44 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,691,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
This conversation, and the personal experiences told here, are why I marvel when people say, in various circumstances, "just find another job"...... as if most jobs that pay well -- and that a person would take, to leave another job, are just out there to be easily grasped.
People generally want to be recognized as having worthwhile insights. When that tendency runs up against truly difficult circumstances, there's bound to be a conflict. That self-focus - making the other person's problem all about how to make one's self feel important - it drives people to minimize the actual problem; it drives people to ignore the hard parts of the problem and just solve the easy parts and then blame the person looking for help for not being able to solve the hard part themselves.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:29 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,501,778 times
I have a contact rate of about 10% with an interview rate of about 5% over many years and many applications. Once I get interviewed I have a 90% success rate for job offers.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:00 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,404,757 times
In my field probably about 1%. I'm not sure I'd consider a $15 an hour offer as an experienced MSc level Chemist successful. I haven't interviewed since getting my current position 7 years ago as I would rather gargle concentrated acid than go through company's HR trash driven hiring process again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search