Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 06:48 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times

Advertisements

It sounds like you are dealing with an unprofessional company.

I work in HR and we deal with drug screens all of the time since my company has a policy of drug testing all applicants. Normally drug screens are accurate and false positives are rare but I have seen a couple in my career. If a drug screen comes back positive, we contact the drug testing company to get in touch with the candidate to get copies of prescriptions s/he is taking and review the results again. Sometimes people are legitimately taking substances that can show a positive on a drug test.

If it is a false positive, we arrange to have the candidate re-test. It's a simple phone call and candidates who aren't doing drugs are always more than happy to go for the 2nd screening to clear things up. I've never had 2 false positives come back.

I agree with the others that this bunch at the company seems like they were looking for an excuse to pull the offer. Sorry that you went through this and unfortunately there are some real jackhole HR practitioners out there. I guess at least you found out how they were before you ended up working for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 05:25 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,470,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Sorry you are going through this. Ask to see an official copy of the report from the testing company. Don't accept what HR tells you. They might not understand the report, or someone entered the information into your HR record incorrectly and no one wants to even look at that.

While you might not even up with a job at this company, you have a much bigger issue to deal with. Because if you are going to test positive for this, you need to know the truth of this. There could also be something wrong with the lab machines too. Don't simply go find another job, you need to find out what is going on.
I'm not going to bother asking for a copy of the report, because the company should have provided that to me without my asking if the reason for rescinding the job offer is because of a failed drug test. One of the reasons why I am so peeved at this experience is because a somewhat similar thing happened to me a couple years ago when I applied for a job at the TSA. I went to a medical facility (specified by the TSA) for a comprehensive physical, including a hearing exam. I was told that I did not pass the hearing exam, which struck me as strange since I've never had any problems with my hearing. In that case, I did ask for a copy of the medical report, but somehow it mysteriously disappeared and the medical office was unable to produce it. I later went to a different facility and had another hearing test, and the people there told me that there was nothing wrong with my hearing.

As with the TSA, my feeling is that if a company does not want to hire you, whether it's because of your age, race, or something else they don't like about you, they will find some excuse not to hire you, and get around the laws that prevent discrimination based on race, sex, age, religion, etc.

This company showed its true colors by ghosting me after learning of the drug test results. They want nothing to do with me now, and I feel the same way about them.

BTW, I do have a good idea now what caused the test results: eating poppy seed bagels in the days before the drug test. I wrote about that elsewhere in the thread, but you must have missed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
It sounds like you are dealing with an unprofessional company.

I work in HR and we deal with drug screens all of the time since my company has a policy of drug testing all applicants. Normally drug screens are accurate and false positives are rare but I have seen a couple in my career. If a drug screen comes back positive, we contact the drug testing company to get in touch with the candidate to get copies of prescriptions s/he is taking and review the results again. Sometimes people are legitimately taking substances that can show a positive on a drug test.

If it is a false positive, we arrange to have the candidate re-test. It's a simple phone call and candidates who aren't doing drugs are always more than happy to go for the 2nd screening to clear things up. I've never had 2 false positives come back.

I agree with the others that this bunch at the company seems like they were looking for an excuse to pull the offer. Sorry that you went through this and unfortunately there are some real jackhole HR practitioners out there. I guess at least you found out how they were before you ended up working for them?
It sounds like the company you work for is a professional company, whereas this one is not. As you said, it's probably just as well that I found that out before I started working for them.

Old 02-13-2020, 02:33 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Drug testing company is supposed to call you first to ask if you are taking any medications if they could affect what you were positive for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search