Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 08:11 AM

20 posts, read 14,860 times

Advertisements

Generally, references are best from a manager or supervisor. In fact, many job applications ask for such references. However, I know someone who had some managers at their some previous places of work he thinks were just too mean or flaky that he doubts that he could ask them for references. In short, the managers were unimpressive (an opinion he diligently kept quiet about on the job). Either he thinks they would not give a reference, give an off target one, or be so incapacitated through drugs or just general flakiness they would be unable to give one. Is this a problem other people have? These are at jobs in the IT field. Instead of these managers, he will often use senior coworkers as references. These senior coworkers in his observation often appeared more competent and stable than the managers.

Last edited by bobsaysgo321; 06-18-2019 at 09:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 09:51 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Yes this is very common. Unfortunately most times these days you have to lie in regards to references and get senior managers who indirectly supervise you to vouch for you. Because often for whatever reason the direct manager is a douche.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
You can also use someone that was the leader of a project you worked on, though not actually your supervisor. What employers are looking for is someone who is familiar enough to evaluate you and your work.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:54 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaysgo321 View Post
Generally, references are best from a manager or supervisor. In fact, many job applications ask for such references. However, I know someone who had some managers at their some previous places of work he thinks were just too mean or flaky that he doubts that he could ask them for references. In short, the managers were unimpressive (an opinion he diligently kept quiet about on the job). Either he thinks they would not give a reference, give an off target one, or be so incapacitated through drugs or just general flakiness they would be unable to give one. Is this a problem other people have? These are at jobs in the IT field. Instead of these managers, he will often use senior coworkers as references. These senior coworkers in his observation often appeared more competent and stable than the managers.
I have very rarely used a supervisor/direct manager as a reference. There wasn't much need. I usually ask permission of a long term peer co-worker or collaborator from another office who knows my skills, experience, expertise.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:16 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaysgo321 View Post
I've been in the work force for many years, and I've never used a former supervisor as a reference. If asked on an application, I leave it blank. Never had a problem. But the references I did provide were excellent.

You need to find someone who is most familiar with your work who can speak intelligently about you to highlight your experience as it pertains to the job you are applying for. It is key that they will take the job when it is expected or return it right away.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:55 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I have very rarely used a supervisor/direct manager as a reference. There wasn't much need. I usually ask permission of a long term peer co-worker or collaborator from another office who knows my skills, experience, expertise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
I've been in the work force for many years, and I've never used a former supervisor as a reference. If asked on an application, I leave it blank. Never had a problem. But the references I did provide were excellent.

You need to find someone who is most familiar with your work who can speak intelligently about you to highlight your experience as it pertains to the job you are applying for. It is key that they will take the job when it is expected or return it right away.
I find this a little hard to believe.

What field are you both in?

If you're in a small industry this won't work. They can do a back channel reference and find out you were using a co-worker instead of someone senior to you. And many employers require at least 2 past supervisor references or you get automatically rejected.

Another Senior person you had a dotted line to may fly - But not a co-worker or someone on equal footing.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
I have gotten bad referrals from prior jobs -when new employer asked for clarification -I had him call prior assistant manager instead -totally different story
I got hired
It’s sort of like our current political scene -you must allow jerks their turn at the Mike

Old 06-21-2019, 06:49 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Some will go on a power trip when asked for a reference.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:34 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I find this a little hard to believe.

What field are you both in?

If you're in a small industry this won't work. They can do a back channel reference and find out you were using a co-worker instead of someone senior to you. And many employers require at least 2 past supervisor references or you get automatically rejected.

Another Senior person you had a dotted line to may fly - But not a co-worker or someone on equal footing.
I never had anybody call a former supervisor either. I work in the financial industry at a few of the TBTF banks. One time, I did list my former supervisor on the resume. I dropped his name during the interview. The hiring manager said "Stop, did you just say John Doe? We used to work together at Financial Company in another City, years ago." They proceed to laugh and say "It's a small world."

Hiring manager never bothered to call my boss. Instead, she messages another one of my contacts through LinkedIn. He wasn't even at the same company, but he was an employee at our vendor. Why did I even bother listing him? The entire company was closing down, so my boss was handing out his personal number to everybody in his dept for referrals. He said he didn't get call, but Congratulations on the new job. He offered me a drink at happy hour. Why did I even bother putting him down as a reference? This was over a decade ago, when I was poorer and more naive. I stopped bothering with listing former supervisors. My career has progressed fine. I make double what I made back then.

I have interviewed people for a new position for my managers. I tossed the reference list in file 13. I have been working in the financial industry for about 15 years.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:41 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Use other managers, or other senior people who you got along with as references.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search