Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 08:32 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times

Advertisements

I found my current job at JOBING dot com. You can search by region and new jobs are posted EVERY DAY. That was a life saver for me because at some other sites, new jobs are only posted once a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 09:11 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
My husband got his through theladders.com. He did spend the $30 for a month membership. That's all it took. Best $30 ever spent.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:50 PM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Been out of work since last Oct 07, when we arrived in the Charlotte, NC area. I check both Careerbuilder and Monster every day. Have had a few calls (but no interviews) about jobs from Careerbuilder, but nothing period from Monster. My wife got her job in Colorado from the Monster website, but she has a Bachelors Degree in Accounting (that helped a lot). She got her current job from one of them.
Is Careerbuilder and Monster good job seeking sites......yes! But, if I had a Degree or Certificate in my career, I'd probably have a better chance on getting a job here. There are areas in other States where it is much easier getting a job than here......ask me!!

Old 04-21-2008, 01:54 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
My husband got his through theladders.com. He did spend the $30 for a month membership. That's all it took. Best $30 ever spent.
Curious... did he use their resume service?

Old 04-21-2008, 04:54 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Curious... did he use their resume service?
No he didn't. The only thing he did was the $30 for one month. Applied for a job he saw on there and got it.

He had several resume writing people contact him and one even gave a very detailed report of his resume and then of course offered to rewrite it.

He just took the info everyone gave him and used it to rewrite the resume himself without paying anyone.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:02 PM

146 posts, read 1,010,985 times
My husband got his job off career builder and we moved out of state for it. I think timing is important with careerbuilder too. My husband was looking for a college teaching job in November when not a lot of people were looking for this type of job so it cut down the number of applicants. What I am finding anymore though is that the job market is so glutted, jobs that used to attract 10 or 15 applicants at the most, are attracting 50 or 100 applicants. I have a Master's degree and haven't been able to find a job. I have had several interviews but each one has received at least 50 applications for the job and those are for jobs requiring degrees! Maybe we have too many people with degrees looking for jobs anymore. I am thinking a technical skill such as carpentry or electrical skills will far better in the job market than someone with a degree. It's sad but true anymore . . .

Old 04-25-2008, 02:38 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Personally for my career, graphic design, I have found the search boards to be mostly useless. They get too many resumes cause the competition for jobs in the field are stiff. I have better luck through temp and placement agencies. Which I am doing once AGAIN. Cause I just got laid off on Monday after 5 years with the company. I HATE looking for the jobs, esp. when you have to fill out each individual companies "profile" into their "database"...
I should just be able to attach a word doc for chrissakes. It takes a lot of time to fill out each and every "profile" for each company - for a job that you know you are not gonna get.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:46 PM
YCC

1 posts, read 3,553 times
Career Builders, Monsters, Jobs Indeed, Jobs.com and so on...are all USELESS!! Companies are paying these outsource agents to post jobs to save money. In those days were real HR Departments exist you could actually get a job. Sure, jobs are posted however unless you are looking for a sales position recruiters are not calling. If you see a job you maybe interested in the best thing is networking, speak to friends, associates, your locals at the gym, churches in order to get connected. Finding a job in this economy has been the hardest work I have ever experienced.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:39 PM

876 posts, read 2,278,549 times
Careerbuilder does work but like with any job portal website, you have to use caution and make sure the job offers are not scams. The Careerbuilder staff work hard to weed out any scammers, but even so, still be very cautious when you use it. I know people who have gotten real jobs through it, but just use common sense as you would with any jobs posted online.

Sometimes, depending on you field of work, you might do better through a specialized site for your field. Just take all job postings with a grain of salt.

The old adage works well for job hunting: "if it is too good to be true, then it probably is."

Old 03-19-2011, 09:58 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,591 times
Whatever you do, don't sign up for CareerBuilder's job email updates. I get job recommendations that have nothing to do with what I signed up for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search