Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 03:46 AM

18 posts, read 34,325 times

Advertisements

Craigslist is BS for finding "jobs." Has ANYONE here ever found a legit job through them?? I see many great-sounding 'jobs' on the site, but then after I send my resume, I get a response a day or two later with some bull**** standard email with a link and bs about "get your credit report for us" and blah blah blah. Some of these companies with "applications" linked in the email DON'T EVEN EXIST! Or I sure as hell have never heard of them, and I can't find them through Google no matter how I search (even wtih the site's OWN WEBSITE URL). It's ridiculous!

Careerbuilder seems to be a JOKE. Every time I get a new "job update" email, it seems like the vast majority of them are PLACES I'VE ALREADY APPLIED TO or THE SAME DAMN EMPLOYERS. Very few new ones. I mean, what's the damn problem? You gotta wonder, if all the SAME employers keep getting listed and re-listed on Careerbuilder, is it THEIR fault for being too discriminating in terms of who they're hiring or getting an insufficient number of 'good' candidates? Who the hell knows! Or maybe they have such HIGH turnover that that company is constantly rehiring??

Maybe a red flag? Ugh... So many crappy sites to 'find' jobs on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 07:51 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times
I found one temp job on Craigslist. Nothing Careerbuilder. I think there are few jobs behind those ads. I think companies keep jobs posted to look savvy and to keep their memberships with Careerbuilder.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:37 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,292 times
I think few people make the time and effort to do this. I have had good results with this as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Girl View Post
I have never had luck with careerbuilder or monster. Instead I find the companies on there and go directly to their web site to look for jobs. I've had alot better success with that, also checking the local paper.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,138 times
I'm so depressed I feel like I may never get a job its never been this hard ive had 2 apply for food stamps that's something I never dreamed I would have to do I cryed right in front of the woman as I was applying depressed in Indiana.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:15 PM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
I have found a job through careerbuilder. It's actually one of my favorites. I'm always getting new job notification from them too.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:33 PM

35 posts, read 100,683 times
I've gotten a few job interviews out of Careerbuilder. I will say though that when applying for these positions, the link generally left the CB site and went to the company's external job site. For employer, Careerbuilder was just a host for the job description. If the job description looked at all sketchy and requires me to upload my resume, I don't usually apply.

I've gotten a job through Craiglist as well. It was at an actual company with a well-known reputation. I think it was one of those times where a legitimate employer actually took a chance and posted there. I always look for real emails, somewhere in the body of CL job descriptions to steer clear of scams. I have to say though, after that one instance it's never been my go-to for job hunting or on my radar at all.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:51 PM

285 posts, read 426,947 times
My opinion, companies review resumes on a first come basis. They take the top 50-100 and trash the rest. With that said, do these job sites (i.e., indeed, careerbuilder,monster) post these jobs from companies at the same time when the company post the same job on their own external website? As someone mentioned, maybe its best to keep job alerts on specific companies and apply directly on their website. Because maybe by the time you apply on one of those jobs sites, there are already a ton of applications on the company's external career website.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:14 PM

10 posts, read 16,967 times
I've gotten interviews off Careerbuilder so it does work.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:59 PM

23,529 posts, read 24,011,889 times
I found a great job using Careerbuilder a few years ago. I basically applied the first day the opening came out and the next day, received an email from the hiring manager about a phone screen. I passed the phone screen and they asked me to come out to do a full day interview. I was offered the position a few days later. Yes, it does work.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:55 AM

35 posts, read 100,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readytofly View Post
My opinion, companies review resumes on a first come basis. They take the top 50-100 and trash the rest. With that said, do these job sites (i.e., indeed, careerbuilder,monster) post these jobs from companies at the same time when the company post the same job on their own external website? As someone mentioned, maybe its best to keep job alerts on specific companies and apply directly on their website. Because maybe by the time you apply on one of those jobs sites, there are already a ton of applications on the company's external career website.
I think you're right. For the position I'll be starting soon, there was an ad on Indeed. This was despite the job being more than a month old and already filled. At times I get the feeling that ads on these sites are simply auto-regnerated by the companies, nothing more, nothing less. That's why it's good to check at the external website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search