Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 10:31 AM

1,088 posts, read 578,073 times

Advertisements

I feel the need to vent a little today. One month ago, I interviewed for a job I really wanted. The timeline went like this:

Mid-October -- application submitted
December 1st -- interview scheduled
December 8th -- interview delayed a week due to everyone being too busy
December 15th -- interview happens between me and five people; mention is made that they are eager to fill the position quickly
late December/early January -- two follow-up emails asking for a status update are totally ignored
January 12th -- position is reposted on all major job sites

I'm very annoyed by this, not only for the obvious reasons, but because none of it makes any sense to me.

You are very eager to fill the position, but after three months your best option is to start all over from scratch?

It's clearly cumbersome to schedule interviews due to so many people being so busy, so your solution is lets schedule a bunch more?

With so many people unemployed, one assumes you got a ton of applications and whittled them down to the best possible options. And out of those, NONE are suitable? You'd rather struggle for another three months with the position vacant than give ANY of those people a chance?

And if your first effort to find someone didn't produce your golden goose, how can you be so sure your second attempt will?

Can someone explain this to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 10:45 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I feel the need to vent a little today. One month ago, I interviewed for a job I really wanted. The timeline went like this:

December 15th -- interview happens between me and five people; mention is made that they are eager to fill the position quickly
late December/early January -- two follow-up emails asking for a status update are totally ignored

I'm very annoyed by this, not only for the obvious reasons, but because none of it makes any sense to me.

You are very eager to fill the position, but after three months your best option is to start all over from scratch?

It's clearly cumbersome to schedule interviews due to so many people being so busy, so your solution is lets schedule a bunch more?

With so many people unemployed, one assumes you got a ton of applications and whittled them down to the best possible options. And out of those, NONE are suitable? You'd rather struggle for another three months with the position vacant than give ANY of those people a chance?

And if your first effort to find someone didn't produce your golden goose, how can you be so sure your second attempt will?

Budgets change, management changes...you never know exactly what happened that led to circumstances. You keep interviewing until someone says yes.

Old 01-12-2021, 12:31 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:

Your quickly and their quickly could mean two different things. It sounds as if you are just venting because it looks like you weren't chosen.

Old 01-12-2021, 03:08 PM

1,462 posts, read 971,912 times
It could be that after they completed all their interviews, none of the candidates was a good fit for them. Thus, they reposted the position to try to get new candidates. While they may be eager to fill the position, they want to fill it with someone that they deem is a good fit, not just for the position, but also a good fit for the company.

Old 01-12-2021, 04:00 PM

1,088 posts, read 578,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Your quickly and their quickly could mean two different things. It sounds as if you are just venting because it looks like you weren't chosen.
I am, but it's more than that. When I get an email stating that a company chose someone else, I can accept that because there's still a possibility that I was their second choice and at least they had the decency to let me know.

When I get no follow-up at all and the position is re-posted, it's much more like a slap in the face. It's a flat-out, "We don't want you. Not just you, but anyone we interviewed."

I still think they're making it a lot harder on themselves, but I can understand the parts about companies wanting the best fit. It just seems to me that with the number of resumes they must be getting right now, not one is what they're looking for.

Old 01-12-2021, 04:44 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
I am, but it's more than that. When I get an email stating that a company chose someone else, I can accept that because there's still a possibility that I was their second choice and at least they had the decency to let me know.

When I get no follow-up at all and the position is re-posted, it's much more like a slap in the face. It's a flat-out, "We don't want you. Not just you, but anyone we interviewed."

I still think they're making it a lot harder on themselves, but I can understand the parts about companies wanting the best fit. It just seems to me that with the number of resumes they must be getting right now, not one is what they're looking for.
Email or not, you still didn't get the job. You are choosing to create an offense around this.

You don't have any way of knowing the number of resumes they are getting. Why create that narrative in your head?

Old 01-12-2021, 05:25 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
+1 teqp.

We are going through the same thing right now. We completed a three month hiring process, and the #1 candidate turned down the job offer. In this case, for a variety of reasons, we don't want to go any deeper on the list, so we are starting the process over again.

I applied for a director/department head job a number of years ago. I made the final cut, so they paid me to come up and have numerous rounds of interviews with people from all over the organization, they paid to feed me, and they paid to house me. And, of course, they did this with a couple of others who made it to the top of the list. They reposted the job. Maybe they didn't like how I looked, maybe they didn't like what I said, maybe they didn't like what I didn't say, and maybe they just didn't think I was a good fit. Who knows?

It is crappy of them not to let you know that you didn't get the job, but there is nothing inherently disingenuous about reposting the job.

Old 01-12-2021, 06:35 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
A couple of years ago we were getting several hundred resumes for each job. And only 10 or so were worth even scoring to get down to the handful of interviews. Now, in an economy you'd think was worse, we only got three resumes for our last opening. Don't know why it's so hard to find qualified people.

Old 01-12-2021, 06:50 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Don't let the politics / idiotics of job applying and job searching get the best of you.

Let it go; move on. Keep forging ahead. Don't slow down or look back. There are many things we can't change, and this is one of them.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:26 PM

200 posts, read 83,016 times
Just move on. Keeping trying and never give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search