Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2021, 10:34 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

So recently completed two interviews with a local hospital for a brand new position but still in my field of work in psych.

Shortly after the second interview received a formal offer from the HR recruiter offering me the job go more in depth next week when the DON is back in. Then Monday received an email saying had to complete another interview with the higher ups the following day. Then another email following up that they are in talks with the higher ups on the candidates selected will keep me updated and on official start date.

It's been two days since we last chatted I want to reach out but also don't want to annoy them. I have another interview Friday with the hospital for another position still in psych. Figure after that interview give it a week haven't heard anything back reach out on Monday. Think a week is a good time frame to give them?

Second question is in search of jobs in the area moving to another local hospital seems to have a job board, possibly set up by an independent company, that has postings almost a year old on it. I applied to postings 30 days old to about 8 months old. Think the jobs are left there because haven't been filled or updated?

Appreciate the feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 04:06 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Personally, I wouldn't bother them for a couple of weeks. They said they would keep you updated -- they didn't say they would have a decision in a couple of days.

Hard telling about the posting. It may be an oversight, it may be a continual posting, or it may be something else.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:11 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Personally, I wouldn't bother them for a couple of weeks. They said they would keep you updated -- they didn't say they would have a decision in a couple of days.

Hard telling about the posting. It may be an oversight, it may be a continual posting, or it may be something else.
Thanks!

Old 03-27-2021, 07:44 PM

856 posts, read 1,052,063 times
Exclamation The Waiting Game....Such BS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hi there!

So recently completed two interviews with a local hospital for a brand new position but still in my field of work in psych.

Shortly after the second interview received a formal offer from the HR recruiter offering me the job go more in depth next week when the DON is back in. Then Monday received an email saying had to complete another interview with the higher ups the following day. Then another email following up that they are in talks with the higher ups on the candidates selected will keep me updated and on official start date.

It's been two days since we last chatted I want to reach out but also don't want to annoy them. I have another interview Friday with the hospital for another position still in psych. Figure after that interview give it a week haven't heard anything back reach out on Monday. Think a week is a good time frame to give them?

Of my thirty plus years in the executive search business, I spent my first few of years recruiting for hospitals and became familiar with their styles of communication and operations in HR as well as regarding the dept managers.

We need to focus on what is broken here, and take a more active step toward bypassing all this noise.

What we already know is that their hiring process is broken- receiving a "formal offer" only to be advised you will not only need to interview again to lock this in, you are also expected to continue to wait an indefinite period, waiting to hear back/the check's in the mail/it only rains on Sundays....and so on.

I've seen this behavior before. So have many others.

So, we need to fix this. I would take certain action I can recommend you take: let's bump this up and speak directly to that DON.

Yeah, I can hear from the peanut gallery, "it's too late for that, we need to just sit on the bench and wait".

Uh, no. It's just as much 'too late' for them since they are not pulled together (and by the way, do you even know if you want to work for that DON?) and they clearly can't be trusted and I am losing interest in them. (It's been my experience that where there is smoke there is fire and from the tip of this iceberg, I just have to ask if the rest of the hospital runs like this. Does this affect the hospital's census? What percent of those beds are filled?

Were I recruiting for that hospital, I would have already been speaking directly with the DON since those of us in our business traditionally do not take second hand information during the course of a search.

So pick up the phone and call the DON and let's get this over with.

What do you say? (And you need to keep it short and sweet without appearing to be breathless. You're Psyche so you understand a measured approach...)

Speak to her/his interests, on why s/he is interested in you as a member of the dept.

So you call and when s/he answers, give a greeting, introduce yourself, mentioning your appreciation for their interest in you/your credentials [your call] and then ask ...if s/he believes you are a credible candidate for the position.....

(If you have a better starting conversation, go for it. What you say is less important than that s/he is able to check you out from the call.)

(If you ask in a manner that presumes you are already hired it will not go well, I don't have to explain that one to you....LOL).

So allow that you haven't really been hired but don't be humble, etc., just ask as if this were 'one clinician to another' which clearly it is.

As in sales, stop at that point and let her/him have the floor. If there is a delay in response....silence... don't volunteer to 'call back later'. If she is clearly busy but appears willing to speak with you, then suggest a specific time for you to call back later that day. Don't let this drag out, you are in charge, now.

At this point, you have done as much as you possibly can. We don't care 'why' there is a delay since you may not be able to 'fix' that/address that so what you are really doing is jumping the gun, starting your own interview and giving 'the other side' an opportunity to get to know you, the part that is missing in this puzzle.

By the way, if the DON gets snippy with you [for jumping the gun and having actually called direct, shame on you], then you are saved.

One last time, when we recruit, we want to be paid. Dealing directly with the Decision Maker is the only sure way of getting things done....and getting paid or, as in your situation, getting hired. Same-Same.

Bonne Chance!

Paul..........

Last edited by HeadhunterPaul; 03-27-2021 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: Additional text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search