Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 10:11 AM

1,908 posts, read 1,271,144 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Ok so I'll give you guys a quick run down of my situation. I am employed currently, but looking to move into another position within my industry.

I was contacted by an employer about a position that I am super interested in. I spoke with the hiring manager on the phone a few times, and I landed an interview over the phone. Also, they wanted to connect with me on LinkedIn.

She told me that the person that interviewed me said the interview went "very well", and the next steps would be to bring me in for another interview. They seemed liked they are very interested in me.

Well, today is the fourth business day that I haven't heard anything from them. I reached out to both the hiring manager and the person that interviewed me, and just simply told them "I hope you had a good Thanksgiving, and I hope to hear from you". Haven't heard anything.

How long on average does it take employers to move the hiring process to the next phase?

Or should I just consider this dead?

It's weird, they seemed very interested in me. I just hope they don't ghost me. At least tell me if I didn't get to the next phase(although they acted like I would).

I dunno, I was really excited about this one..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2021, 11:01 AM

23,511 posts, read 23,980,674 times
It varies, every situation is unique as the situation is different in every company. Personally, I’ve had to wait a few hours before I heard from them, to several weeks. You never know what is going on “behind the scenes.” The company could have other candidates they need to interview, the position could be “on hold”, the hiring manager could be out of the office, etc.

I think it is too early to consider this “dead.” I would keep looking and keep on interviewing though, until an offer comes through.

From my experiences as both a candidate and as a hiring manager, if a company wants you, they will let you know and not take a chance on losing a good candidate to another firm. It is hard to find good candidates for many positions (especially skilled positions) in this type of job market.

Old 12-01-2021, 11:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
As a hiring manager, from one interview for the next may take as long as two weeks, however I would always make sure that HR maintains communication with the candidates being considered. Especially this time of year there can be delays from people being on vacation, using up medical benefits, or awaiting the new budget year to start. There is a possibility of ghosting, of course, there is no way to tell. Best to keep looking, as if this one is "dead" but hopefully they will set up the second interview soon.

Old 12-01-2021, 11:31 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,954,329 times
I was contacted for a first interview. Two weeks later I was contacted for a second interview, Two weeks later I was contacted for a third interview. Two weeks later I got the job offer. I was with them for 28 years,
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Hi,

Ok so I'll give you guys a quick run down of my situation. I am employed currently, but looking to move into another position within my industry.

I was contacted by an employer about a position that I am super interested in. I spoke with the hiring manager on the phone a few times, and I landed an interview over the phone. Also, they wanted to connect with me on LinkedIn.

She told me that the person that interviewed me said the interview went "very well", and the next steps would be to bring me in for another interview. They seemed liked they are very interested in me.

Well, today is the fourth business day that I haven't heard anything from them. I reached out to both the hiring manager and the person that interviewed me, and just simply told them "I hope you had a good Thanksgiving, and I hope to hear from you". Haven't heard anything.

How long on average does it take employers to move the hiring process to the next phase?

It's weird, they seemed very interested in me. I just hope they don't ghost me. At least tell me if I didn't get to the next phase(although they acted like I would).

Old 12-01-2021, 01:43 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,222,501 times
Quote:

First, be patient.

We ARE in a holiday season. Lots of people are scheduling their "use it or lose it" vacation time around this time. Especially hiring managers.

Wait a week and follow up with your contact. See how things are going. Then follow up again in another week. Don't be pushy.

Second, what kind of employer is it? If government, those take longer. Big company? Those tend to take longer. Smaller company? Perhaps around average.

Old 12-01-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
First, be patient.

We ARE in a holiday season. Lots of people are scheduling their "use it or lose it" vacation time around this time. Especially hiring managers.

Wait a week and follow up with your contact. See how things are going. Then follow up again in another week. Don't be pushy.

Second, what kind of employer is it? If government, those take longer. Big company? Those tend to take longer. Smaller company? Perhaps around average.
It's a small-ish company. Maybe 100 employees total.

I just feel like if they saw me as a strong candidate, I would have heard a response to my "thanks" messages. I dunno.

Old 12-01-2021, 04:33 PM

1,085 posts, read 691,157 times
Quote:
Hi,

Over the thanksgiving holiday, all bets are off. I wouldn’t even start the clock until maybe Tuesday if this week, making this the first day.

Old 12-01-2021, 04:40 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,222,501 times
Quote:
It's a small-ish company. Maybe 100 employees total.

I just feel like if they saw me as a strong candidate, I would have heard a response to my "thanks" messages. I dunno.
Employers are never in a hurry to hire. Just chill and wait. The more often you contact them, the more desperate you appear, and the less likely you will be hired.

You could get the Nobel Prize of Rockstars and found the cure for cancer and you'll still have that clock ticking.

Old 12-01-2021, 08:52 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,368,504 times
Quote:

Your job hunting time table is not going to be the same as an employer. They have no set time table regardless of what they say. A friend of mine was contacted for a position that said "urgent" and through the entire process each interviewer repeated "This is a quick hire...". It took three months. Three months is not what anyone in the private sector would consider a "quick hire".

You've contacted them enough, I wouldn't bother again, they have everything they need to know. Proceed with your job search.

Old 12-02-2021, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Your job hunting time table is not going to be the same as an employer. They have no set time table regardless of what they say. A friend of mine was contacted for a position that said "urgent" and through the entire process each interviewer repeated "This is a quick hire...". It took three months. Three months is not what anyone in the private sector would consider a "quick hire".

You've contacted them enough, I wouldn't bother again, they have everything they need to know. Proceed with your job search.
I'm not going to. It's just annoying that I am kinda waiting around to see if I get a second interview or even hear back at all from them. I'm hoping to get an offer, but at this point, I dunno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search