Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 01:09 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,022,342 times

Advertisements

We've all heard the horror stories from companies who have had people who were truly stupid and clueless interview for a job. Well, it's about time that someone told the hiring people of this world, be they HR, managers or whoever, what NOT to do.

1. When you tell a candidate that you want to go to the next step in the interview process. DO IT. Don't forget them, even if you have changed your mind.

2. When you say you're going to get back to a candidate by a certain date, DO IT. If something comes up, well, you're a professional, aren't you? Have your bloody secretary send an e-mail, a letter or make a call. Don't be such a *****.

3. If you're unprofessional enough not to do either #1 or #2, then for God's sake respond when the candidate is professional and mature enough to follow up.

4. When a candidate leaves a voicemail or sends an e-mail, RESPOND. Of course, if the candidate is flooding you with messages, this is a bad sign. I'm talking here about a candidate following up on something YOU'VE promised.

5. Learn to freakin' write! If you can't craft a letter with proper punctuation, spelling, grammar and syntax, then find someone who can write it for you. Do you think that those of us with intelligence are going to be impressed with an illiterate for a boss? We'll go work for your competitor.

6. If you've changed your mind about pursuing this candidate, then let him/her know. Nothing is worse than having a great interview with a company you like and feel like there's a chance, only to suddenly find that there's no more communication. I had this happen recently and even though I put two and two together, I called the dirtbag and MADE him tell me that he had changed his mind. Believe me, Corporate America, I will bad mouth that company until my dying day--and I have lots of contacts in that industry. Don't think that because you're an employer that all the cards are in your hand. As baby boomers retire and the labor shortage escalates, you will find that you can't treat us so flippantly.

If it sounds like I'm angry, it's because I am. I understand that as job applicants we are at a disadvantage (unless I'm in IT or health care, which I'm not). However, my time is just as important to me as a director's or manager's time is to him/her. I treat you with respect, dammit, I'd better get it back. Thank God I now have an awesome job with an awesome company that treated me with respect. I hope to retire here.

OK, unleash the lions. Anyone care to comment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 11:10 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,337,418 times
I agree with you 100%. We have encountered this same scenario with colleages and friends of ours who have looked for jobs. It is astounding the lack of courtesy and follow through by the interviewers.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:31 PM

983 posts, read 4,430,452 times
How about giving each candidate your undivided attention! It's only fair to them and it shouldn't matter if you have been interviewing all day. Candidates are not all stupid and can sense when someone is not really listening or care about what they are saying.

I don't interview much but I did interview a while back for a lateral move on my job trying to get closer to home. I am with a police agency and I had a female Lieutenant and a male Detective. As soon as I sat down I could tell it was a waste of my time and they had someone in mind already. The Lt. was so disengaged I thought she was gonna take her gun and shoot me . lol

Old 05-23-2008, 02:30 AM

947 posts, read 3,562,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
We've all heard the horror stories from companies who have had people who were truly stupid and clueless interview for a job. Well, it's about time that someone told the hiring people of this world, be they HR, managers or whoever, what NOT to do.

1. When you tell a candidate that you want to go to the next step in the interview process. DO IT. Don't forget them, even if you have changed your mind.

2. When you say you're going to get back to a candidate by a certain date, DO IT. If something comes up, well, you're a professional, aren't you? Have your bloody secretary send an e-mail, a letter or make a call. Don't be such a *****.

3. If you're unprofessional enough not to do either #1 or #2, then for God's sake respond when the candidate is professional and mature enough to follow up.

4. When a candidate leaves a voicemail or sends an e-mail, RESPOND. Of course, if the candidate is flooding you with messages, this is a bad sign. I'm talking here about a candidate following up on something YOU'VE promised.

5. Learn to freakin' write! If you can't craft a letter with proper punctuation, spelling, grammar and syntax, then find someone who can write it for you. Do you think that those of us with intelligence are going to be impressed with an illiterate for a boss? We'll go work for your competitor.

6. If you've changed your mind about pursuing this candidate, then let him/her know. Nothing is worse than having a great interview with a company you like and feel like there's a chance, only to suddenly find that there's no more communication. I had this happen recently and even though I put two and two together, I called the dirtbag and MADE him tell me that he had changed his mind. Believe me, Corporate America, I will bad mouth that company until my dying day--and I have lots of contacts in that industry. Don't think that because you're an employer that all the cards are in your hand. As baby boomers retire and the labor shortage escalates, you will find that you can't treat us so flippantly.

If it sounds like I'm angry, it's because I am. I understand that as job applicants we are at a disadvantage (unless I'm in IT or health care, which I'm not). However, my time is just as important to me as a director's or manager's time is to him/her. I treat you with respect, dammit, I'd better get it back. Thank God I now have an awesome job with an awesome company that treated me with respect. I hope to retire here.

OK, unleash the lions. Anyone care to comment?
I basically agree with you on everything you say.

And lemme tell ya, some radio folks in management positions forget where they've come from or how they started.

'nuff said.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:46 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,010,520 times
Give false hope.
You don't have to lie. Just say, 'We are seeing a bunch more people and will contact the one(s) who come closest to what we are seeking.

I hate the 'we'll call you' line...

Old 05-23-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Give false hope.
You don't have to lie. Just say, 'We are seeing a bunch more people and will contact the one(s) who come closest to what we are seeking.

I hate the 'we'll call you' line...
Me too.. I've heard that by phone or been told that by email several times!

Old 05-24-2008, 02:09 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,022,342 times
I was actually told "we want to take this to the next step. You will be called by the president." Then nothing. This is the twit I referred to in my OP. The one I called and forced to tell me that they had changed their mind.

I must confess, I'm appalled that more people haven't commented. Are we the only ones? Are people scared?

Old 05-26-2008, 02:24 AM

4,552 posts, read 14,978,095 times
I hate it that employers feel they hold your destiny in their hands and that their job is the only one in the city worth it,they know most people that applied are desperate for a job and then some employers will lead them on and keep them hangin, or the part I hate is when you can tell that they are just not interested in you from the get-go.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:17 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,051,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
I am in love with you, whoever you are.
You are literate, articulate, intelligent, and you speak your mind in words.
PS I am not a lion, not even a Leo

Old 05-26-2008, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post

Originally Posted by bobmulk

I am in love with you, whoever you are.
You are literate, articulate, intelligent, and you speak your mind in words.
PS I am not a lion, not even a Leo

ME TOO!!!

I cant tell you how many job ads I've seen with bad spelling, horrible grammar, a whole line of commas instead of periods.

Stuff like that makes me wonder about the person who wrote it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search