Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 08:14 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Don't overanalyze a interview because you set yourself up for major disappointment .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 01:53 PM

649 posts, read 1,422,996 times
I was scheduled for a phone interview last week and it great! The interview was early in the morning and the HR women told me that she would forward my information to the hiring manager and would hear back if he liked what he saw. Two hours later she emailed me and told me the hiring manager was interested and wanted to meet me on Friday which was two day later. I went to the interview and it also went great. We even talked about how great my commute would be, because I live right down the street from the job. I live in Atlanta by the way. They walked me to the door and I can tell by their body language that they were pleased with the interview. Later that day I sent out thank you notes and actually got a reply. They told me thanks for such a wonderful letter and that it was a pleasure meeting me. They said please know that I was a top candidate for the position and simply needed to interview other qualified candidates that they had already scheduled for interviews the following week. My question is what is a Top candidate? Does it look like I have a shot of at least making it to the final round? I will also like to add that I was ahead of everyone else in the interview process, because I decided to email my resume directly to the HR contact instead of applying online like the other people. I did this by calling the front desk.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:05 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
I was scheduled for a phone interview last week and it great! The interview was early in the morning and the HR women told me that she would forward my information to the hiring manager and would hear back if he liked what he saw. Two hours later she emailed me and told me the hiring manager was interested and wanted to meet me on Friday which was two day later. I went to the interview and it also went great. We even talked about how great my commute would be, because I live right down the street from the job. I live in Atlanta by the way. They walked me to the door and I can tell by their body language that they were pleased with the interview. Later that day I sent out thank you notes and actually got a reply. They told me thanks for such a wonderful letter and that it was a pleasure meeting me. They said please know that I was a top candidate for the position and simply needed to interview other qualified candidates that they had already scheduled for interviews the following week. My question is what is a Top candidate? Does it look like I have a shot of at least making it to the final round? I will also like to add that I was ahead of everyone else in the interview process, because I decided to email my resume directly to the HR contact instead of applying online like the other people. I did this by calling the front desk.

I wouldn't get excited about a interviewer walking you to the door because that's what happens on all interviews. Now the response to your thank you letter can be a good sign but defintely not walking you to the door.

These are usually good signs

1. Pay frequemcy dicussed during interview
2. Response to thank you letter
3. Telling you the actual day they will contact you
4, Introduce you to staff members who are not managers
5.Asking for a copy of your references

Old 08-21-2010, 10:56 PM

256 posts, read 1,145,302 times
Default Dropping Off Resumes

Just a bit of info that might help. If a company says to fill out the application and apply online, my suggestion is do it that way. I have been leary of doing that b/c I am worried about if it is legitimate and if my info is getting there.

But, I recently worked as a temp at the front desk of a Fortune 500 company. There were many people who came in to inquire about jobs and wanted to drop off resumes. Some would insist on leaving their resume. When I attempted to give the resume to the HR Department, I was told that, "if I were uncomfortable telling people that we don't take accept resumes except for online, I can either give them to the HR Dept., or just put them through the shredder." Either way, that is where they were going. The info from your online registration was entered into their database and that is where the candidates were pulled from when they matched the job descriptions that they had posted. I didn't believe that applying online was that important and I have tried to bypass it and just find an email address or drop it off at the front desk, especially thinking if they see I'm professional, they will be more likely to call me. Not always so.

I'm not sure if this is the norm, but I am passing this onto you as an FYI.

Also, with regard to thinking you have the job. I was hired through an agency as a temp-to-hire in a corporation. Loved the job, loved the people. To myself and my recruiter, temp-to-hire meant if they liked you, you would be hired on; if not, you pretty much would know it and they would switch you out with someone else rather quickly.

I had just finished my 3rd week. Things were going great. This was my "dream job." I was told people were singing my praises during a staff meeting. I was complimented, told, "you're the best" by employees of the company. One man even said, "Oh, I know you have the job, so and so (the hiring manager) said she really likes you."

I left on a Friday. Absolutely no indication that there was any kind of problem. My agent called me at 6:00 pm and said that the company had called and said they didn't need me anymore. I had info about visitors coming in on Monday, and other info that would have assisted employees, but I wasn't to report to work on Monday. My agent was as dumbfounded as I was. She was told that the company would use me in other positions in the future if there was a temp need but that the chemistry for this position just wasn't right. So, you just never know what the hiring person is thinking. My thought is that she had someone in mind, and I was there to fill in until she could hire them on, and even better w/o an agency fee. It shook me and bothered me, but I had to let go of it and just think it was meant for someone else for some other reason.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 20,801 times
I am so mad. There were 3 people interviewing me at once, all talking and answering questions. I made a joke at how intimidated I was and they took me seriously. I have lots of experience working in a group setting and participating in brainstorming meetings. Most of my ideas have been considered or used and I have never gotten negative feedback. The woman during the interview told me that she was concerned I would say I was intimidated and that they were looking for someone who wasn't afraid to walk into a boardroom and speak their mind.

I was only joking and it was really hard to come back from that. So much for the Parks & Recreation department.

By the way, i've interviewed for two dozen jobs in my life and never have I had 3 people interview me at once, talking at once. It was very weird.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 20,734 times
did you end up getting the job? i also was wondering, i recently did an interview for a daycare center. it lasted about a half hour and i got the impression that they really liked me. i feel good about the interview, they ran out of questions and asked me things like "when you begin work..." and "when can you start?" i feel like i have a good chance as i have good references and much experience. is there anything to look for to let me know if i got it or not...or do i have to just wait for the call?

Old 10-17-2010, 09:37 PM

164 posts, read 440,776 times
You won't know that you've gotten the job until you receive your first pay check.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 20,575 times
Here is my situation...On Oct 19, I got a call to set up an interview over the phone. Set up the call for Oct 29. Was given a conditional job offer and instructions to do a physcial exam and drug screen plus sent a link to have a background check through a third-party. That was done on Nov 1. Contacted the background agency, check was completed on Nov 9. If I went through the whole process, does this mean I got the job or am I just waiting for nothing? By-the-way, the HR recruiter has been on vacation and will not be back in the office until Monday Nov 15.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:25 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,999,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gphlip View Post
Here is my situation...On Oct 19, I got a call to set up an interview over the phone. Set up the call for Oct 29. Was given a conditional job offer and instructions to do a physcial exam and drug screen plus sent a link to have a background check through a third-party. That was done on Nov 1. Contacted the background agency, check was completed on Nov 9. If I went through the whole process, does this mean I got the job or am I just waiting for nothing? By-the-way, the HR recruiter has been on vacation and will not be back in the office until Monday Nov 15.
Keep looking until you sign the contract.
On second thought, keep looking until you get the second paycheck.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 20,189 times
Default ANxious and scared!

I went through 6 interviews The first 3 were phone interviews with Hiring Manager..the same day received a call to interview with two of the team members that I would be working with. Following the same day was invited on 2 onsite interviews with hiring Manager and team member I would be replacing, the last interview with another Manager who works closely with the Hiring Manager. All was well ..my confidence was high and excited but the mention of other candidates just through a monkey wrench in my confidence (I didn't show it) but the candidate is already a contractor through a vendor company. After each series of interviews I sent HR a thank emails a short description of how they went..following the final interview HR emailed me asking to complete a survey on their interview process..Two days later received background and drug screening request-a week ago..so should I be insecure about my competition? Although all seems well I was never promised the job but received very good queues..when the hiring Manager mentioned the other "candiate" she mention he has not been pushed through the process as I have...but still I cant sleep at night..im scared to be rejected because Im so excited about the oportunity. I did follow up with HR as far as the completion of background and status of a decision being made. HR confirmed a decision will be made by End od Day the next day!! Should I be concerned about the Vendor..would they put me through all of that just to hire the contractor???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search