Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 10:12 PM

34 posts, read 383,481 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I am a 21 year old college student who recently went on an interview for a customer service position at a private charter jet business. Everything seemed like it went well. I got the feeling that since they asked me if I would be able to work more hours than the specified time, that it was looking good. I left with the interviewer saying that they would give me a call early next week with their decision. Based on your experiences, is there any way of at least getting a good sense if somebody locked the position up? Feel free to ask any questions or input that you may have. Thank you for your time.

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 10:18 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,131,339 times
Chris,

You'll know if you got the job if they make you a job offer. That's usualy done by a phone call or maybe an in person meeting but most times it's by phone.

As far as "giving you a call" next week, many experienced interviewers have heard that many times. I would take it with a grain of salt. Until they offer you the job, you did not get the job.

"Don't spend the money until the check has cleared."

Best wishes Chris.

cr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj973jersey View Post
Hello all, I am a 21 year old college student who recently went on an interview for a customer service position at a private charter jet business. Everything seemed like it went well. I got the feeling that since they asked me if I would be able to work more hours than the specified time, that it was looking good. I left with the interviewer saying that they would give me a call early next week with their decision. Based on your experiences, is there any way of at least getting a good sense if somebody locked the position up? Feel free to ask any questions or input that you may have. Thank you for your time.

Chris

Last edited by Ron.; 06-14-2008 at 10:41 PM..

Old 06-14-2008, 10:26 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,162,842 times
Sad but true. If I had a dollar for every time I thought I was getting an offer, well, I wouldn't have to continue looking for work! Even after three call backs, you just never know. I am going to try and not think about the job after the interview and just continue searching for the next one until I am shocked and get hired somewhere.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:28 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,131,339 times
P,

that's what I do. Untill they offer me a job, I don't think about it. I just keep looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Sad but true. If I had a dollar for every time I thought I was getting an offer, well, I wouldn't have to continue looking for work! Even after three call backs, you just never know. I am going to try and not think about the job after the interview and just continue searching for the next one until I am shocked and get hired somewhere.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:39 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,714,502 times
I knew I got my job after the interview only because I walked out with an offer in hand. Otherwise, you don't have the job and you should not count on someone's verbal promise.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:01 AM

8,882 posts, read 20,262,668 times
I use to get pretty excited when I got a call to "come in for an interview"......THEN I smartened up! There were just too many times that the interview went nice, great, whatever and I never got a call back! Yes, I was told that there were other people to interview, but the interviewer SEEMED to like me so much and I really thought I had the job......WRONG!! After not getting a call, I'd call the interviewer and be told, "sorry, we decided to go with someone else." "WHAT", I'd say to myself after hanging up the phone. And, today, even after getting an "Offer" for employment, if the interviewer or HR doesn't like what they see on your Physical report (if the company has you get a Physical), you don't have the job then either even if they did make an "Offer". Remember, EVERYTHING has to "come together" before they actually have you show up for work. In fact, I've even had to teach my wife about this......she would get WAY to excited over an interview.
Good Luck

Old 06-16-2008, 11:31 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,215,853 times
I agree with the others. You just can't know for sure. However, often you do have a "feel" for how the interview went. Sometimes, though, the interviewer may have actually liked you and you sensed that, but there was a better applicant they interviewed later. You just never know, but whenever I have felt things didn't go well, I never got an offer!

Old 06-16-2008, 12:10 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,491,474 times
The longer the interview is the better your shot is. I never got a job with an interview shorter then a few mins. If you feel like you were talking to them for a long time thats good but if you feel like it went by really fast that is bad.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:21 PM

559 posts, read 1,389,762 times
I agree with everyone who responded. They might get back to you much later than they said they will or they might decide to hire someone else. Unfortunately you have to wait for the letter or the phone call from them.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:24 PM

34 posts, read 383,481 times
Thanks for everybody who posted. I am still waiting on the call. I will keep informed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search