Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 04:51 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times

Advertisements

What is the biggest resume lie you or someon you know has gotten away with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 06:24 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
A guy worked for my employer in IT and turned in a pretty fictitious resume, including working at either West Point or the Naval Academy (I don't remember which one anymore). After this hotshot couldn't perform tasks that he should easily have been able to do, they decided to actually check out his resume and discovered that it was bogus. They learned a lesson the hard way, and left everyone else wondering how they could make a hire like that without doing a background check.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:37 PM

334 posts, read 221,450 times
I've known people who had huge gaps in their resume because of the deep recession that began in 2008. So, they put a fake job on their resume and the company never checked their "current" employer. I've also known people who have friends that own their own small business and have used their company as their latest job to avoid the job gap issue.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:20 PM

416 posts, read 408,898 times
I heard some pretty good explanations for big gaps in employment and then why they could not leave the state for work.

Wrong answer: elderly relatives

Correct answer: Parole officer

Newsflash. As employers you receive all sorts of forms from all sorts of government agencies. Employers do find out in the end! Depending on the job it may not of mattered but lying upfront did.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:25 PM

334 posts, read 221,450 times
So, that's what employers are worried about? That you have a job gap because you were in prison? Oh, please. They'd better get on the stick then because I know several people who have been unemployed for 6 months or longer who had damn good jobs before and were never incarcerated. I also know people who were incarcerated and were able to start their own business and are doing better than most.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:56 AM

270 posts, read 210,791 times
I got away from saying I managed people so I can take the simple Management role.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:05 AM

387 posts, read 358,340 times
I've never done this and the thought of working with people who have pisses me off.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:16 AM

7,238 posts, read 4,548,286 times
I was once working at a temp job through an agency checking a large health care company's contracts. Not for content but just for like typos and english. After a few months I got a job and was looking at an applicant resume.

The person applying had listed that he had his own business for two years. He was a "consultant" as one of his "jobs" he wrote that he was a consultant for this health care company reviewing their contracts - from the exact same time period I was there. He didn't mention the temp company and he made it sound like he was checking the contracts for content. But I recognized the job and checked it out. Yes.. he was a temporary employee working for a temp agency doing the same job I did. He had no contact with the heath carrier he was hired as a temp.

We had him in and confronted him. All the "clients" he had listed had been from a temp agency. He claimed up and down there was nothing wrong with what he did.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:45 AM

4,141 posts, read 3,052,785 times
I have never done this. From what I have been reading, it is quite common, which makes me wonder how many opportunities I have missed out on because someone's fictitious resume is better than my real one.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:51 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Never involve with this, and never would try to lie on a resume because is easily verifiable. Just do the right thing and you will be just fine. There's no need to get caught on something stupid like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search