Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 06:26 PM

260 posts, read 675,672 times

Advertisements

A week ago my husband submitted an online job application for a retail management position for a chain. I was surprised that he was asked his age. I thought it was illegal. My husband is 48. They stated that they will contact you in 2-4 weeks if they want to interview, so we'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 06:29 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,696 times
Perhaps they were looking to see if he was old enough for the position. They could have asked "Are you over the age of 18."

Old 07-13-2008, 06:52 PM

260 posts, read 675,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Perhaps they were looking to see if he was old enough for the position. They could have asked "Are you over the age of 18."
I agree. They requested Date of Birth. If you left it blank, they wouldn't accept the application.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:07 PM

8,940 posts, read 20,364,639 times
It is called "age discrimination", but a LOT of companies don't care about
"illegal questions" that are asked. Not much (if anything) can be done about it either AND companies know that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-13-2008, 08:48 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,696 times
Here is an article that might help.

Employer can ask about age but be wary of implications - The Boston Globe

IMO they should just ask if the applicant meets the minimum age and then get the specifics if they decide to continue and require a back ground check, credit check, etc. It may not be illegal to ask, but it seems unwise considering our litigious society these days. However, if you are including information about when you graduated from High School it isn't all that difficult to get a reasonable estimate of the age of the applicant anyway.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:04 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,874 times
I would report them to the EEOC.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:11 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,346,279 times
On any job appl. I never put when I graduated from anywhere. And I only put the last 10years of experience down. That way they can't infer your age from the appl. At least you can get a phone call or an interview for consideration at least.
Also a tip: I do not give out SS# until the second interview. This is especially important when you still have a job. They might contact your present employer accidentally.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:32 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,512,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
It is called "age discrimination", but a LOT of companies don't care about
"illegal questions" that are asked. Not much (if anything) can be done about it either AND companies know that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree...asking for our birthdate is the same as asking for our age.
They know if you don't give the information, you won't get the job. I have seen applications that ask if you are

a-under 40
b-over 40
c-decline to answer

Jeesh, who is kidding who here? Are they really that dumb?

Old 07-14-2008, 09:34 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,512,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
On any job appl. I never put when I graduated from anywhere. And I only put the last 10years of experience down. That way they can't infer your age from the appl. At least you can get a phone call or an interview for consideration at least.
Also a tip: I do not give out SS# until the second interview. This is especially important when you still have a job. They might contact your present employer accidentally.

A lot of the online applications have required fields to fill in, and if you don't fill them in, such as birthdate, SS#, when you graduated, if you have ever been in a car accident, etc., then you can't submit the application.
I know, it's really bizarre.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:04 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,346,279 times
There was only one that wouldn't work without the ss#. The grocery store by my house. And there was no security note on the database so I will not apply there until I talk to the store to assuage my reservations.

A lot of the lines have an asterisk next to the field, for required info. If it does not have the asterisk, you don't need to put it in there if you feel uncomfortable doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search