Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 12:18 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times

Advertisements

I am curious what is the general steps everyone here takes to find jobs.

Where do you look? Who do you talk to? How do you send your resumes? Etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 07:37 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,438,713 times
I used to go online to see the area newspapers for jobs, but most of them anymore seem to be affilitated with careerbuilder. I, personally, have had no luck with careerbuilder or monster. Recently, I have just been going to craigslist and I have gotten about five interviews from there. I think employers don't want to pay to place ads anymore when they can do it for free on craigslist. I just send my resume via the craigslist email, but I have a couple of different versions of my resume. I don't always know about craigslist, you have to be careful, and some jobs I just send my resume with the email address only and don't give out any information.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:39 AM

77 posts, read 385,471 times
I go to the Department of Labor for help. Yet, a lot of companies want you to e-mail your resumes.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:54 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmerritt36 View Post
I go to the Department of Labor for help. Yet, a lot of companies want you to e-mail your resumes.
really? Does that work?

Old 07-31-2008, 04:42 AM

822 posts, read 3,001,836 times
Well, I've had a lot more luck going directly to company websites than going to careerbuilder, or even craigslist (yes, I'd be careful if they don't mention a company on craigslist).Most of my previous jobs, before taking time off to raise a child, were the non-advertised sort - someone saying "I want to work with you".

Old 07-31-2008, 11:30 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
I contact at least 3 recruiters (I have existing relationships with 2 of them). I search the big job websites and email resumes to good sounding jobs (often they direct you to company websites). I have never used CraigsList.

I get a list of the top companies for my field from the business newspaper and send resumes to them. I work on job hunting every Monday-Friday from 10:00-4:00. I keep track of every resume I send out, every interview, every rejection post card, and what outfits I wear on interviews. I keep my hair and nails professional done. I always wear new suits (with hose!) to interviews. I take dry runs to buildings or parts of town I am not familiar with to make sure I can get to the interview in time. I investigate the parking situation.

I have had to job hunt twice in this career. First time as entry level no experience, but with the right education, it took me 2 weeks to find a job and the second time with experience, it took me one week to find a job. I am a very aggressive job hunter, but I never beg, never send a thank you note, never call back twice if they don't return my call, immediately dismiss wacky potential employers, only interview with places with full benefits, and don't get emotionally involved in the process.

If a company wants you, they will let you know. They will pursue you. Recruiters call me regularly to see if I am ready to make another change or to tell me about a great job they just got. They call me.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:57 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I contact at least 3 recruiters (I have existing relationships with 2 of them). I search the big job websites and email resumes to good sounding jobs (often they direct you to company websites). I have never used CraigsList.

I get a list of the top companies for my field from the business newspaper and send resumes to them. I work on job hunting every Monday-Friday from 10:00-4:00. I keep track of every resume I send out, every interview, every rejection post card, and what outfits I wear on interviews. I keep my hair and nails professional done. I always wear new suits (with hose!) to interviews. I take dry runs to buildings or parts of town I am not familiar with to make sure I can get to the interview in time. I investigate the parking situation.

I have had to job hunt twice in this career. First time as entry level no experience, but with the right education, it took me 2 weeks to find a job and the second time with experience, it took me one week to find a job. I am a very aggressive job hunter, but I never beg, never send a thank you note, never call back twice if they don't return my call, immediately dismiss wacky potential employers, only interview with places with full benefits, and don't get emotionally involved in the process.

If a company wants you, they will let you know. They will pursue you. Recruiters call me regularly to see if I am ready to make another change or to tell me about a great job they just got. They call me.
What field are you in?

Old 08-01-2008, 06:12 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
* Companies' web sites (after I find their listing on other job sites). I've seen you get better results that way.
* Other Job websites
* Networking events (something you need to do while you still have a job)
* Keeping in touch with contacts (past vendors, partners, colleagues, people I met at conferences etc).

The last two is actually very effective.... the two jobs I got through networks/friends went the smoothest. It was basically a referral.. "oh you need someone to do that... call this guy". Boom, you're in.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:55 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
What field are you in?
Legal. Non-attorney.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,920 times
Personally I look everywhere I can if I need a job. I go out to places and ask to speak to the manager or the highest person in charge there. I also fill out applications online as well so i can double my chances. I also found this website, http://www.interviewrx.com/index (broken link), very helpful in learning how to deal with interviews and how to present myself in a manner that makes me look good for the job. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search