Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2008, 06:58 PM

212 posts, read 821,894 times

Advertisements

1) For the past 20 plus years I have had stable/steady work experience as a private sector accountant. Unfortuneatly my last perm. job lasted 1 year and ended 10/07. I decided to work temp and in 5/08 our of despair I made a mistake in taking a permanent job in a CPA firm which I now hate and realized that I should have kept working temp. Can I show this job on my resume after 3-4 months and say that I do not want to be in public accounting or am I now screwed and have to stay a year there. In a year I will be 58yrs old creating another age issue. and now showing too much job mpvement.

2) MY other choice it to continue to show on my resume that I am doing consulting work, but in sept that will be a year without a permanent job so How long can I show on my resume temp work without being labled a temp worker.

Last edited by captnemo; 08-03-2008 at 07:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 08:14 AM

77 posts, read 385,566 times
Do you not like the company or the job? It will be hard for you to change your career now.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:57 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,382,489 times
I would advise (and this is just me) never put anything on a resume that sounds harmful. Consider the CPA job temporary also. You're selling yourself, so just note the good stuff.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:14 PM

11 posts, read 40,886 times
Part of my job as a recruiter is to place accounting and finance professionals, such as yourself. It has been my experience that those that have worked for years in public accounting either venture out on their own and develop their own practice, work as a consultant with an accountant staffing firm, or work in the private sector.

As a potential hiring manager, I am first of all keying on your 20 years of stability in one position. I am also happy to see that you jumped the fence into the private sector to make sure you have had a feel for both sides and are now certain what you want to do with the rest of your career.

Now, assuming that you will not be applying to anymore public accounting firms, showing the recent short stint at the CPA firm in your resume in addition to honestly explaining it in an interview - to me - is a positive thing. Leaving that 3 or 4 month hole in your resume and then answering direct questions as to why in an interview - again to me - can possibly be a negative thing, depending on the hiring manager. It can appear that you are hiding something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search