Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:19 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,633,692 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else get frustrated when applying through job sites and a cover letter and resume sent through that site isn't enough? No, some companies want you to visit their site and plug your info into each field on their 10-page online application? It is sooo time-consuming! It seems like the cover letter and resume should be enough for them to figure out if they want to interview you! And then you may or may not hear back from them, other than the standard auto-reply, "Thanks for applying with XYZ, Inc. We will review your application and if your skills and qualifications match... yadda yadda yadda" Is it just me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 09:25 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,876,665 times
I agree completely. Looking for a job is a full-time job these days! I have a job, but I am always looking--and I get so ticked when I have to practically give a blood and stool sample via the web--just for the slim-to-none chance that an actual person MAY call, but most likely won't.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:10 AM

763 posts, read 2,252,561 times
Sure beats the old days when you had to actually beat the pavement and go to all those companies and spend the time to fill out an application for each and every one of them.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:55 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,285,066 times
"No, some companies want you to visit their site and plug your info into each field on their 10-page online application? " I warned against this in an earlier post.

What I do is this. if I can, I get the information regarding the position from the job site. The job #, corporation, job title, and go the corporation's site directly and fill out their appl there. If I can.

Yes, those click through job sites are so parasitic it is sickening.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:18 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,786,602 times
I have always hated having to fill out an application when I already have a very comprehensive resume.

But now I understand that having to have an application (whether online on on paper) is not the company's or even HR's fault. It comes from all the employment related laws out there, both state and federal, plus things that are required by a company's attorneys and insurance carriers.

There are so many things a company can be sued for, and having a structured application helps to prevent many of those. Plus, an application can ask things (in a legal way)that are usually not included on a resume. Like, who puts on their resume that they can perform certain occupational functions with or without certain reasonable accomodations?

Also, an application will have a place where you have to sign "swearing" that all information you put down is true. Resumes don't have this. If an employer finds out that things in your application are not true, and you signed that they are true, they have a firm legal basis to not hire you or to fire you if you've already been hired.

I do agree that writing every past job, the duties, and the dates, is redundant when it's already on my resume. Some places let you write "see resume" on those parts of the application. But many don't.

Just try to understand that there really are reasons for those silly applications; it's not just to torture people.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:38 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,210,547 times
I like the job ad's where the employer leaves an email address where you can send your cover letter and resume to them directly, I don't like sites such as jobing where you have to send the info through their site, I often wonder if they even receive the information sometimes, or by the time they do receive it is the resume still properly formatted.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:08 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,285,066 times
job inc. is bad. And I highly doubt the companies get the info through them. since after you fill out all the info on the job inc. site, then you get to the click through button that goes directly to the corporation's jobs site and then you have to fill out all that stuff you just gave job inc... again.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:30 PM

763 posts, read 2,252,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
is the resume still properly formatted.
Send it as a PDF file and this won't be a concern.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:34 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,210,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
Send it as a PDF file and this won't be a concern.
True, but some websites won't allow this. Which is another reason why I don't like the sites that make you apply through them, you don't have the flexibility of using different formats like pdf.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:07 PM

266 posts, read 1,106,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I have always hated having to fill out an application when I already have a very comprehensive resume.

But now I understand that having to have an application (whether online on on paper) is not the company's or even HR's fault. It comes from all the employment related laws out there, both state and federal, plus things that are required by a company's attorneys and insurance carriers.

There are so many things a company can be sued for, and having a structured application helps to prevent many of those. Plus, an application can ask things (in a legal way)that are usually not included on a resume. Like, who puts on their resume that they can perform certain occupational functions with or without certain reasonable accomodations?

Also, an application will have a place where you have to sign "swearing" that all information you put down is true. Resumes don't have this. If an employer finds out that things in your application are not true, and you signed that they are true, they have a firm legal basis to not hire you or to fire you if you've already been hired.

I do agree that writing every past job, the duties, and the dates, is redundant when it's already on my resume. Some places let you write "see resume" on those parts of the application. But many don't.

Just try to understand that there really are reasons for those silly applications; it's not just to torture people.
I will gladly fill out any application you want - AFTER you call me for an interview. You should be able to tell based on my resume if you are interested. If not, I don't want to spend 45+ minutes filling out an online form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search