Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 03:50 PM

763 posts, read 2,253,056 times

Advertisements

If I were to turn in a resume here in Alaska, I would include the seasonal jobs, because it's something that everyone does or has done. Such as commercial fishing for 3 months, or working in a national park for 4 months. That's all those jobs last, and everyone works one or more of them.

If I were to apply somewhere in the lesser 48, would it look like I had not kept to a job?

Here, it's common, but how about other places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 04:01 PM

11 posts, read 40,834 times
These days, it is very common to change jobs somewhat frequently. Depending on your profession and industry, this can appear as instability. However, in industries such as Information Technology for example, it is common for those in the contractor community to work 4-6 mo projects and move on. This would be somewhat similar to the seasonal employment you refer to.

As a recruiter and prior hiring manager, I would take this into consideration; especially if notations are made under each of the respective positions held. For example:

Company Name October 1997 - January 1998
Crab Fisherman - Four month seasonal position

Old 08-04-2008, 06:47 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,792,470 times
Agree. Include the experience on your resume, and make it clear that it was a seasonal, time-limited position.

You might keep the seasonal jobs in the chronological list of past experience, or put the seasonal jobs in a separate section called "other experience" or "seasonal positions." This might make more sense if the seasonal jobs aren't related to your usual field.

Also, since many of us down here in the lower 48, especially in metropolitan areas, don't see a lot of commercial fishing and park ranger experience, your various past jobs might be an interesting tidbit that makes you stand out among others!

Old 08-04-2008, 07:09 PM

Up here, you will see preachers, welders, mechanics, etc. all take of 3 or 4 months and do commercial fishing. Lousy working conditions, around the clock working, back breaking work, but lots of money. (Businesses also close for the entire moose hunting season.)

A lot of welding jobs, and even mechanic jobs are seasonal.

So, it's not uncommon to find someone who will work one job for 3 or 4 months, working 84 hours per week, take a month off waiting for fishing season to open, work 2-3 months fishing, take a month off waiting for crabbing season, work a couple of months, then go to work for a new company welding. They will do this for years sometimes.

Mine is not that extreme, but it did hit me that I don't know the best way to fill out my resume if I were to want to move Outside. I guess the "interesting" would be good in that situation. Never thought about it much because up here, it's not even noteworthy.

Did you know I once killed a polar bear with a spoon? I wouldn't have thought it possible if I had not done it myself. (High praise the the person who gets this reference.)

Old 08-04-2008, 07:41 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,374,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
If I were to turn in a resume here in Alaska, I would include the seasonal jobs, because it's something that everyone does or has done. Such as commercial fishing for 3 months, or working in a national park for 4 months. That's all those jobs last, and everyone works one or more of them.

If I were to apply somewhere in the lesser 48, would it look like I had not kept to a job?

Here, it's common, but how about other places?
Just let them in the lower 48 know that they were "seasonal employment" - also, on your resume where you have the title of your position, right after it put in parenthesis (seasonal employment). I think any employer is going to understand that. Good Luck. What State in the lower 48 are you applying for jobs in if you don't mind my asking.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:43 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,374,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
Up here, you will see preachers, welders, mechanics, etc. all take of 3 or 4 months and do commercial fishing. Lousy working conditions, around the clock working, back breaking work, but lots of money. (Businesses also close for the entire moose hunting season.)

A lot of welding jobs, and even mechanic jobs are seasonal.

So, it's not uncommon to find someone who will work one job for 3 or 4 months, working 84 hours per week, take a month off waiting for fishing season to open, work 2-3 months fishing, take a month off waiting for crabbing season, work a couple of months, then go to work for a new company welding. They will do this for years sometimes.

Mine is not that extreme, but it did hit me that I don't know the best way to fill out my resume if I were to want to move Outside. I guess the "interesting" would be good in that situation. Never thought about it much because up here, it's not even noteworthy.

Did you know I once killed a polar bear with a spoon? I wouldn't have thought it possible if I had not done it myself. (High praise the the person who gets this reference.)
If you need some assistance with your resume, DM me, I'll be glad to help. I've done my own, my husband's and several friends.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:00 PM

I'm not really applying, just curious. I have been offered a few jobs Outside, but none that have made me go, "That's tempting!" (Although I was offered a grant because of my art that is equal to a year's salary and would be a 25% downpayment on a house, and that was tempting.)

There is the possibility that we may have to move in order to take care of aging parents, and it dawned on me yesterday that my resume would look odd to someone who isn't expecting a bunch of short jobs, although I've worked two regular jobs for several years. The only time I've ever been unemployed since I was 16 was after a serious injury that required several surgeries I was out of work for about a year. I went back the day the doctor released me, and even during that time, I managed to continue to operate my own business, albeit at a very low level.

Which brings another question: How do you list self-employment on a resume? Especially one that I would continue in addition to other employment, as I have for about 10 years now.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:25 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,689,396 times
You do not HAVE to list jobs you don't want to, and you could even remove all date references.

However, you may have to explain such tactics in an interview later.

Bottom line with resumes: Be truthful, but if it won't help you get a job, leave it off, whatever it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search