Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 12:37 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,275,646 times

Advertisements

I am sick and have been sick for almost a week. Flu, bad cold, who knows. Misery and wishing for death? Yeah. I've continued my job search but mostly online this past week.

Anyway I'm getting better but my VOICE is still affected and there is a job I really want to apply for, but you have to apply in person. I'm still kinda stuffy too and you can hear it when I talk. I sound scratchy, almost like I'm losing my voice a bit.

There's another job I applied for that responded and they want to schedule a phone interview. It's a phone-focused job (call center like)... so my voice DOES matter.

Ugh.

So would you just apply and explain that you've been feeling poorly or would you , if you were me, wait until you sounded "normal" again?

What would you think if you were an employer of someone applying when at the tail end of a nasty cold?

I just can't take the delay. It's not like I have sick pay or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 12:47 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,703,054 times
What a bummer! Are you sure it's not allergies? A friend(no insurance) had something that sounds like what you have. She went to a walk-in clinic and they gave her a steroid shot and she was 97% better the next day.
Anyway, that is a tough call. The phone one is voice-contingent so to me, they would not get the full benefit of seeing what phone voice you have if you are stuffy, coughing, or hacking on the other line. In person, well, I'd be upset if you came in and infected me with your illness. On the other hand, shows determination and you'd be a tough one to call in sick if they hire you.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:05 PM

129 posts, read 443,910 times
I'd call the person and discuss the situation.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:06 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,275,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
What a bummer! Are you sure it's not allergies? A friend(no insurance) had something that sounds like what you have. She went to a walk-in clinic and they gave her a steroid shot and she was 97% better the next day.
Anyway, that is a tough call. The phone one is voice-contingent so to me, they would not get the full benefit of seeing what phone voice you have if you are stuffy, coughing, or hacking on the other line. In person, well, I'd be upset if you came in and infected me with your illness. On the other hand, shows determination and you'd be a tough one to call in sick if they hire you.
LOL yes, I'm not the call-in-sick type ever! There's always that fine line... go in and risk getting other sick, or call in and have them pi$$ed at you for it, but I've found it's best to show up and have them SEND you home if at all possible. So it's on them.

I don't think it's allergies because it has moved through the family, with each of us having the exact same symptoms. The kids, mercifully, have had the same thing but much shorter duration. Us (the adults) are hit hardest... but I seem to have gotten the worst of it.

I can see a daily improvement so I know it's going away, just not fast enough for impatient me! I have got to get something job-wise full time before Christmas, preferably before T-giving! UI and temping here and there is just not cutting it.

I get whatever this is every November when the weather starts changing, for what it's worth! Here in TX it gets crazy between Halloween and T-giving, going from 50 to 80 and back again in a week. Hot/cold/hot/cold... I have no scientific way to back it up but I have a gut feeling that it has something to do with it. Last year I just trudged to work anyway. The years prior I had an at-home job so I just dealt with it.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm just frustrated. Both of these jobs are ideal and I don't want to miss the opportunity for either of them. One pays kind of badly but has benefits and the work itself is pleasant... the other pays better but no benefits. I'll take either!!

Old 11-10-2008, 06:05 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,040,636 times
People get sick--I know a girl who was hired at a place I worked. She interviewed over the phone and told the boss, "I'm sorry, I have a cold." The woman accepted this.

She started a week later.

Be honest. If you are meant to get either job, you will. You can always call them and say, I am sick, but I am interested in this job. Can we do it another way so I don't infect anyone at your company?

I interviewed last year at a job with a fever. I was just getting over the flu. Did not get the job (good thing as it was part time and did not offer any parking!). I got another job a week or so later, nearer my home.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:30 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,860,078 times
I agree with GypsySoul. Just be honest and tell them you are sick. I wish you the VERY BEST in your interview!

Old 11-11-2008, 08:07 PM

81 posts, read 341,629 times
Aww...I hope you feel better soon!

I would talk to the recruiter and be honest about your cold but if at all possible, load up on the Dayquil, put some Visene in the eyes, take some cough drops and go for it!

Old 11-12-2008, 07:18 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,721,827 times
I interviewed for a job and had a nasty looking cold sore in my mustache area I couldn't hide. Didn't get the job either, even with a good enough interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search