Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 04:14 PM

364 posts, read 1,568,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
Yeah, I love this approach, too. Half the time, the "Joe Smith" they mention is someone you KNOW does NOT work/has NEVER worked at that company. What they're hoping and "expecting" you to reply with is a "No, I didn't work for Joe Smith, I worked for a John Smith". Another "gotcha".

I'd be embarrassed if one of the recruiters at my company did something like that. The staffing industry is a very profitable one and it's not full of shadeball companies. I honestly don't know of one firm in St. Louis with 500+ employees that DOESN'T use staffing firms for their IT hiring. Anheuser-Busch ONLY uses staffing firms to hire IT people. I think a lot of times staffing firms have a negative connotation when people (not saying you) really know nothing about the industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 05:14 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,863,933 times
I will not represent a candidate that does not have professional references. So in an effort to not waste their time or mine, I ask this on the phone. If they don't or won't share them, case closed.
If they do have references, I don't check the references until right before I present them to a client. Again, I need to make sure I am presenting viable candidates to my clients. I tell the candidate that I'll be checking their references and they can call their references to give them advance notice if they wish.

People do research before buying cars, homes, electronics, travel, etc. Why should recruiters not do research on their candidates? Would you refer a day care provider to someone just because he or she handed you a brochure about their experience? Would you not want to check their references? If you are putting your reputation on the line, would you not want to be as sure as you could be before you recommend someone? Would you refer your neighbor to your employer if you had no idea about your neighbor's conduct at his previous job?

Our clients spend thousands and sometimes millions of dollars on staffing services. The cost of recruiting, hiring and training employees is vast. And again, in order to do business with me, I've had to agree to not present candidates to them that don't have references, and I wouldn't want to anyway. My reputation as well as my companys is on the line and staffing is a highly competitive business. We are in the business to find people careers. Period. That is how we make our money and stay in business. We respect our candidates and need them in order to stay in business. Without stellar candidates, I can't professionally survive. So it's in my best interest to treat my candidates fairly and with respect and hope that they are happy with my service and refer other candidates to me. Or perhaps, one day, they will be a hiring manager and turn to me for employees. This is a people business and one that you can't be successful in if you use people and burn bridges. For those of you who refuse to or can't understand this, you're best to find your own career opportunities and forgo working with professional recruiters.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:37 PM

29 posts, read 172,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
I will not represent a candidate that does not have professional references. So in an effort to not waste their time or mine, I ask this on the phone. If they don't or won't share them, case closed.
If they do have references, I don't check the references until right before I present them to a client. Again, I need to make sure I am presenting viable candidates to my clients. I tell the candidate that I'll be checking their references and they can call their references to give them advance notice if they wish.
Chinola you are talking BS.... The manager reference policy is the new wave for the hungry recruiters which have nothing to provide to the candidates.
I provided my references and they were checked by that damn recruiter and I got no interview, nothing, it was a scam if you CAN understand my point of view.
Are you really so amateur in the recruitment field or just lazy and don't want to bother too much? The way you can be sure you present the right candidate to a company is TO TEST that candidate in a TECHNICAL INTERVIEW based on whatever the job description is. Of course for this you have to pay somebody to do it and you don't want it.
Another thing is : HOW could you trust the candidate references if you DO NOT trust him? What if the candidate gives you some friends phones who can act as collegues and say only the best about the candidate.
Please illuminate me !
If you declare the case close, I also declare the case closed for these "recruiters" and I'm 101% sure they are going in the wrong direction wiht this policy which whatever I do think it;s just a SCAM for this time and will disapear when the economy will go better.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:57 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,708,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcv View Post
I provided my references and they were checked by that damn recruiter and I got no interview, nothing,
Maybe you should find out what your references said before you blame it on a scam.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:14 PM

29 posts, read 172,049 times
My references were ok, they called me back and let me know they were called and what they said.
The recruiter told me that the references I gave him were not the MANAGER and he needs the manager reference before set me the interview.
I got called by other recruiters from different companies and most of them asked for Manager reference before they set any interview, so Yes it is a SCAM.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:39 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,929,154 times
I think he means sham...

Old 11-12-2008, 03:57 AM

33 posts, read 126,135 times
To get a good job usually you would need multiple interviews and work with multiple recruiters. If five recruiters were to call my very busy references, these people would likely get frustrated with me and stop returning phone calls. As a result, I do not want my professional references called until I am a serious finalist for a job I am very interested in.

Though I can see it from the recruiters side.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:23 AM

364 posts, read 1,568,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcv View Post
Chinola you are talking BS.... The manager reference policy is the new wave for the hungry recruiters which have nothing to provide to the candidates.
I provided my references and they were checked by that damn recruiter and I got no interview, nothing, it was a scam if you CAN understand my point of view.
Are you really so amateur in the recruitment field or just lazy and don't want to bother too much? The way you can be sure you present the right candidate to a company is TO TEST that candidate in a TECHNICAL INTERVIEW based on whatever the job description is. Of course for this you have to pay somebody to do it and you don't want it.
Another thing is : HOW could you trust the candidate references if you DO NOT trust him? What if the candidate gives you some friends phones who can act as collegues and say only the best about the candidate.
Please illuminate me !
If you declare the case close, I also declare the case closed for these "recruiters" and I'm 101% sure they are going in the wrong direction wiht this policy which whatever I do think it;s just a SCAM for this time and will disapear when the economy will go better.
Could it be that the recruiter had BETTER CANDIDATES than you? Or perhaps your references said something that turned the recruiter off?

I love how anytime a recruiter doesn't get a candidate an interview, it's automatically a scam, rather than a reflection of a poor candidate.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:06 AM

575 posts, read 3,131,365 times
In my history of using recruiters, i found most of them to be of poor service and quality. They fish for resumes online to build their databases and find names of companies. Whenever I have gone to past interviews, references only needed to be from someone at your past work - manager or not. Recruiters only want to speak to a manager because usually a manager would have decision making on hiring and it is a direct line to fish for more jobs to fill. Also, don't fall into the trick of answering questions of "who else are you interviewing with?" as this is another line for them to find more company names and contacts - just say you have interviews lined up and you do not wish to disclose who.

Recruitment is only a sales factory - and nothing more. If you think about it, they never give you the company name. Yet companies want people that are going to be passionate and enthusiastic about working for them. how can someone become that if they don't find out who it is a few days before interview and then realise they don't want to work for that company. I am a strong believer that companies should do their own recruitment to find the best candidate for them without the miscommunication that comes with a middle-man.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:28 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,708,981 times
Since companies make the decision to use recruiters, maybe you should limit your job search only to companies that do their own recruiting and tell companies that do use recruiters that they will forever be deprived of your services. That'll show 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search