Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:54 PM

100 posts, read 406,839 times

Advertisements

If you had an interview would you prefer the person you are interviewing to be a male or female? In my opinion I would rather let the person interviewing me be a male and not a female.

If you are interviewing with a women it is personal and it really does not matter what your skills and talents are, if she does not like you for some apparent reason, like maybe because she has some sort of prejudice towards minorites, does not like the way you speak etc; your

With men though they really give you the benefit of the doubt and take more risks in my opinion. I remeber one interview where I made so many mistakes and got stumped, yet I got hired because I kind of felt it was because of the potential I had. After meeting the person who was supposed to be a part of the panel interview, I told myself I probably would have not experienced the job if she was there. If the individual interviewing me was a women it would have come down to if she liked me from the start or not because bottom line women are more emotional and personal.

Just my two cents people, would you rather have a 50/50 chance on getting a job, or would you rather prove yourself to the person interviewing you why you should get a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 12:57 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,466,335 times
I don't think it would matter to me what sex my interviewer was. I'd be more interested in what I could offer his/her company and what his/her company could offer me.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:09 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,695,611 times
female

Old 12-07-2008, 05:29 AM

81 posts, read 341,377 times
Male (Im female).

females judge way too much of the external for me....

Old 12-07-2008, 09:28 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,531,608 times
female, i find men too often are arrogant

Old 12-07-2008, 11:16 AM

43,854 posts, read 50,853,077 times
When I was younger, I always preferred a male interviewer (and boss).....
Now that I'm older, it doesn't matter either way.

I will say that it is easier to distract a female and get her talking about herself instead of asking you a bunch of senseless questions about where do you see yourself in 5 years.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:48 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,656,875 times
Male. I can't deal with women.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:09 PM

625 posts, read 3,626,848 times
I interviewed with 7 women for one job and I can tell you I initially thought I didn't get it because some women do judge other women based on looks and whether they feel they can be "buddy buddy" with them. Case and point I once had a interview at one of the top toy companies and from the minute my interviewer saw me she looked me up and down (think of the Miranda look in The Devil Wears Prada) her Assistant did the same thing (and she was a minority as well so no not all minorities love to see each other succeed). I had just graduated college but I still had a good deal of full-time work experience. Needless to say I didn't get that job.

I had male and female bosses. Males are much more lenient and compassionate for women who work for them. Women..not so much.
Also just a tip for my fellow jobseekers. If you step foot in the company and you don't see much diversity at all, then more than likely you might as well walk out if you don't fit the bill. Alot of people complain about EOE and feel like they are not being hired because the company must meet certain quotas, well you have to ask yourself, "why was it put in place to begin with". The truth is some companies hire a majority of women, some a majority of men, some only hire a certain race for higher up jobs, etc. I have worked at a couple places that have fit that bill and it's sad to see people passed over for a job they were qualified for just because they don't look the part.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:52 PM

983 posts, read 4,429,660 times
Interesting, never thought about it. I had a panel interview with four women from different divisions hiring for the same position, and the one that hired me was my race. Maybe they all fought over me, lol.

Had a guy hire me on the spot for seasonal work at Macys. His eyes kept diverting to my boob area, so maybe that's why. Heck I don't know, I have had good and bad of both sexes.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:18 PM

560 posts, read 1,544,652 times
[quote=xenourtv;6456790]If you had an interview would you prefer the person you are interviewing to be a male or female? In my opinion I would rather let the person interviewing me be a male and not a female.
quote]

Male definetely. Female managers irritate the hell out of me. They all seem to think they are Prima Donnas and they are not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search